Do Dominicans maintain their barrios better than the barrios/housing projects in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Do the poorest Dominicans maintain their barrios/housing projects/slums better then the barrios/housing projects in New York City?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
do you have points of references for BOTH locations in DR and NYC?
first barrio that comes to mind in la capital is Guachupita [very rowdy and sketchy]
but compare that to what in NYC? Marcy? Castle Hill? Gun Hill Road? Dyckman?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
do you have points of references for BOTH locations in DR and NYC?
first barrio that comes to mind in la capital is Guachupita [very rowdy and sketchy]
but compare that to what in NYC? Marcy? Castle Hill? Gun Hill Road? Dyckman?

Don't forget El Barrio!!!!

South Bronx!!!!

I can't really elaborate becuase I never seen projects in DR.

A quick note, the projects in PR are in better condition than NYC!!! (my opinion)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
LOL miguelito, sorry i didnt mention the South Bronx, but thats pretty BIG, to be more specific I could have said the housing projects east of Hunts Point....the name slips my mind...but in any case....
Guachupito is about the closest/similar project setup that I have ever seen in DR. not sure if i can come back with pics or video there as you have to watch your back as you walk around there. i have been there once and witnessed a robbery as i went around the corner to get me a beer, all for a digital watch i think....unbeleivable.
im not sure, both projects in DR and NYC have their own unique traits...based on the fact that NYC projects have running water and the lights dont go out [for the most part] i would say ranks it ahead of the barrio in DR.
The OP does mention maintaining the barrios and who does it better? this would be an interesting study to make.
should i go door to door in Guachupito and inspect for myslef? methinks i'd probably end up getting attacked or run out of there...LOL
then again same would happen to me in the PJs of NYC! :eek:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Do the poorest Dominicans maintain their barrios/housing projects/slums better then the barrios/housing projects in New York City?

maintaining a barrio could be considered an oxymoron, since its most likely referenced as a barrio/project because its not maintained. The difference between a project and a co-op is the attitude.

Same type of buildings, different type of residents.

I know a few very well maintained "projects" in Brooklyn, NY, which houses a majority of hasidic residents. Stuyvesant Town is huge "looking" project but its not dirty and run down like similar looking building complexes.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It was sold for $5.4B and is no longer a "project".
Stuyvestant Town apartments start @ $2,995, unless you are grandfathered on a rent stabilized lease from 25 years ago!
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/nyregion/16stuyvesant.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

that's exactly what I am pointing out, physically a complex like "stuyvesant town" looks identical to the numerous housing projects that are crime ridden around in the city, but the people of stuyvesant will not let the place run down. It's all in the attitude. Hasidic Jews live in some of the nicest low income housing projects in Brooklyn.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I've been into apartments in the Webster Houses, Mitchell Houses, Mott Houses, Patterson Houses, Morrisannia Airrights, and numerous others in the Bronx and had to scrape the $hit off my feet coming out of some of those apartments. I've also been in some tin shacks in the DR and couldn't believe how well kept they were. Just because you're poor you don't have to live like a savage.

S

sokitoumi

is there a point to this question as there isnt an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.