Advice pls* Fiance possibly getting deported back to the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahLynn813

Aug 6, 2008
So here is the thing. I was born in Florida, and I met my boyfriend four yrs ago in university when he first came here from the Dominican Republic on a school/working visa. In the last yr he got arrested for something pretty serious that he didn't even do, and he is now currently in I.N.S custody...possibly going to be deported back to the Dominican republic. I love him very much and I really wish we would have gotten married before all this **** happened, but unfortunately we didn't. I definitely don't want to lose him, and I don't care if he gets deported or not I really want to move where ever he moves. So more than most likely we'll both be going to the DR soon..just based on his case and all. All his family is in Santo Dominigo, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how easy it will be for me to move over there? I'm also nurse here in Florida and wondering if there are any opportunities for nurses the DR? I definitely need to work on my Spanish, because I'm pretty sure not knowing it could prevent me from getting a job. Anyone who could give me some advice. I'd really appreciate it =)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sarah:

Sorry to hear about your BF, why not hook up with a nice Latino doctor in Miami and marry for money as well as for love, at least you and your future children will be provided for?

tambo'

;)

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Sorry to hear about your Fianc?. He would have gotten deported even if you were married. Only way to avoid deportation is to be a U.S. citizen or not get arrested.

If you are serious about marrying him and living in the DR, for the rest of your life because he will never be able to go back to the U.S. legally, you should start taking Spanish classes asap.

SarahLynn813

Aug 6, 2008
$200 a month..yikes! I guess I can pretty much forget about nursing over there then huh? That really stinks. I thought at least being a nurse would make things a little easier for us. I guess its back to square one with the planning =/

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
$ 200 / month if you spoke spanish.
I suggest you forget the deportee and find a doctor in miami. Choose to be on the winning side for a change.
AZB

SarahLynn813

Aug 6, 2008
$ 200 / month if you spoke spanish.
I suggest you forget the deportee and find a doctor in miami. Choose to be on the winning side for a change.
AZB

Honestly money or some doctor isn't really the issue:disappoin. I just want to make sure that we'll actually be able to get by, and that living there can happen..Basically I just want to make sure its possible:ermm:. I don't care if I don't make that much money over there...because being with him there and not making much money is much better than being back here in the states with out him and making good money. I just want to be with him regardless..even if it doesn't come easy. So maybe I'm here just asking for little reassurance. That it is possible, and we might actually be okay. Is $200 a month plus whatever he makes going to be enough to survive? I don't really know about pesos, but I know living expenses are cheaper..so that has to count for something...doesn't it?

Photo Man

Aug 6, 2008
Honestly money or some doctor isn't really the issue:disappoin. I just want to make sure that we'll actually be able to get by, and that living there can happen..Basically I just want to make sure its possible:ermm:. I don't care if I don't make that much money over there...because being with him there and not making much money is much better than being back here in the states with out him and making good money. I just want to be with him regardless..even if it doesn't come easy. So maybe I'm here just asking for little reassurance. That it is possible, and we might actually be okay. Is $200 a month plus whatever he makes going to be enough to survive? I don't really know about pesos, but I know living expenses are cheaper..so that has to count for something...doesn't it?

What was the charge he was given?

SarahLynn813

Aug 6, 2008
What was the charge he was given?

I really don't want to say exactly, but he was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the police tried to say "something" was his that wasn't. & when the police asked him who it belonged to, he didn't tell them persons name (his bestfriend). so the police arrested him and charged him for it. Very dumb of him I know!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
what kind of friend would stand by and allow him to be deported??? something wrong with that....you need to move on

SarahLynn813

Aug 6, 2008
what kind of friend would stand by and allow him to be deported??? something wrong with that....you need to move on

I don't really understand that myself. I don't know what he was thinking, because I know his friend would have never risked himself for my fiance if he was in his shoes.

Moving on isn't even possible:cry:..or at least I'm not going to let it be. We've spent the last four years together. I'm not going to let it be for nothing. I just wish there was something I could do.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Is $200 a month plus whatever he makes going to be enough to survive? I don't really know about pesos, but I know living expenses are cheaper..so that has to count for something...doesn't it?

First of all, if he's facing some form of felony, he will be looking at least over 2+ years and then he'll be deported. Are you willing to wait?? Plus his opportunities returning as a deporte is practically zero, so you and your boyfriend will be living the hard life under his family.

You should want more out of your life than following a man to a third world and supporting him with $200 a month, not a lot of money. But, I wish you good luck.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i feel bad for you and understand how you must feel, but you will not survive any kind of quality life on $200 /month

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Reality check

I really don't want to say exactly, but he was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the police tried to say "something" was his that wasn't. & when the police asked him who it belonged to, he didn't tell them persons name (his bestfriend). so the police arrested him and charged him for it. Very dumb of him I know!

I have had the opportunity to do some work with a contractor that works for some prison facility here in the US. Based on my discussions with most inmates, I can estimates that about 70% of the inmates always insist that they are innocent;). Usually in the wrong place at the wrong time or a friend got them in trouble. They knew nothing about it;). Yet it is always amazing that most will end up back there again pretty soon after they are released.

I really want to commend you for deciding to stay with your man even at his rough moment. If your heart is telling you to stay with him, then I think that is what you need to do. We live in a world where so many people seem to have fickle minds and at those moments when challenges come, all they want to do is to jump ship and say goodbye. You might just be the person that will save his life.

I wish you the best of luck.

Sholly

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You definitely have a long tough road ahead.

As far as working as a nurse, I know there is a DR1'er who will be moving to the DR but traveling back to the States to work as a RN. Apparently there is enough money to be able to make it work out so it seems possible.

Let me see if I got this straight, He was in the wrong place at the wrong time(He was caught with a large quantity of drugs correct?) The police are trying to say it was his? why? (Because it was in his car or apt or on his person) Lots of people get arrested everyday all over the USA with other peoples stuff on them, I cant believe how bad the police are in the USA.
Do yourself a favor and listen to AZB's advise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.