What is the average income needed to live comfortably in the DR

SarahLynn813

Aug 6, 2008
In pesos per month? I'm talking about the average Dominican too, not an American or someone moving there.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long is a piece of string? :)

Many families live on RD$8-10,000 per month, others wouldn't last a week on that, others a day.

You need to be more specific with you question in order to get a true answer.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
  • If you rent, in a Coastal town or city or Santo Domingo and Santiago, 24 hrs water (hot too) and electricity, 3 Bdrm/2 Bath, safe walking neighborhood (24hrs), educated neighbors.
  • Buy for USD 15K or above) and maintain a small SUV, preferably diesel, and don't have to drive every day too much just to run your basic errands.
  • You eat cooking yourself, using mainly DR-products, eat out maybe once a week at a mid range restaurant and maybe another two times a week in a Dominican poplar Cantina.
  • You don't develop a drinking habit and don't invite everybody who's calling you "amigo" to beers and booze.
  • You make friends with income producing expats and locals almost exclusively (so you don't have to help them constantly.
  • You wait at least a good 6 months before you let a new "love" move in with you.
  • you where able to bring or buy your furniture, tv and computer and other house hold acquisitions.
  • You are comfortable settling for a local health insurance (with local treatment) and you are not on expensive medication.
... you can live quite comfortably on about USD 2000.oo a month.

You ought to have some cushion money on the side for accidents, traveling, receiving family and other guests once in a while.

Find a location you are safe, well located and can feel happy and intelligently entertained at walking distance (especially if you are older, plan to become older and want to keep driving costs and risks low or eventually nil some day). LEARN SPANISH, go to dancing classes (hookers don't go there, they all think the can dance)... it's both cheaper than making whoopie :D

... J-D.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
my wife and i live very comfortably on 1200 usd a month. It really depends on what your standards are. We love a simple life.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Why don't u stay in the US and work and take time off to go see him in the DR, but unfortunatly if its drug related charges he will be in jail before he gets deported, so sorry for your dilema it sounds like you are really in love.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Check out your other post.........I wrote in there, it's worth reading
SHALENA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Why don't u stay in the US and work and take time off to go see him in the DR, but unfortunatly if its drug related charges he will be in jail before he gets deported, so sorry for your dilema it sounds like you are really in love.

I did not realize the OP was the same posting on the Legal Forum. My calculations were tuned for a "standard" retiree.

Young woman, your case will be entirely different. Best case scenario is, your "man's" family will be able to get you into the Dominican style of living. Comfort will depend on that family's standing. You have visited them, you are the judge what their social level is. Dominican style "Comfortable" within a family can come quite cheap... maybe a couple of USD 100's for chipping in and personal stuff.
If it is a "bario" situation... I'd suggest you forget about it. YOU will most likely NOT make, your "man" will soon act differently (towards you) as he will have to within that society. You weren't born among it and you will probably not last long enough to adapt.

... J-D.