Trace Inverters

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know where in POP, but if you cannot find what you want or think that the price is way too high, let me know and I'll get you the Santiago Xantrex dealer's info.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There is a dealer in POP call them on 809 586 1770.

Trace inverters, the best thing since sliced bread. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I bought a SW plus 4024 for 90,000RD$. It's a sinewave one that doesn't make the fans hum. They installed it for me. They will then give you an on-site guarantee for two years. Something well worth having in this country. Although, so far, touch wood, I haven't needed it.

I have it hooked up to sixteen batteries and I installed the thermal sensor on one of them. The Trace actually "conditions" the batteries to keep them in optimum health. I can categorically state that I haven't needed to add a single drop of water in any of the batteries in 18 months! I hear some people top theirs up every month.

With sixteen batteries it powers all the 110v in the house. So the only things I don't have are the 220v appliances, like swimming pool pump, hot water and A/C. It will last me for three days if I'm careful. I found that out when hurricane Dean cut us off.

Before I bought the Trace, I was tempted to get a cheap inverter and buy a generator. I'm so glad I chose good the inverter instead. I also employ it as a kind of insurance policy for my electronic equipment. I have a big plasma TV and a Bose sound system, and various other expensive gadgets. The Trace offers great protection from the crap electricity coming from Edenorte.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You can program it to revert to battery power if the mains voltage exceeds the set value as well as below a set value.

I don't know how it protects against surges, but it does.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sorry, I don't know their name, but they are on Hugo Cunjar about two hundred yards down from the open air market.

Just one word of advice. They may try and sell you the aftercare package. They will come every month and check your water levels and your terminals. I would suggest that it's a waste of money as it's something you can easily do yourself.

Once you have your inverter and batteries installed, take your time and undo every battery connection. Make sure they are clean and re-assemble with plenty of vaseline petroleum jelly. This will keep corrosion at bay and if you do it well, it will last you at least a couple of years.

If you go for a higher end inverter, it will come with a thermal sensor that you stick onto one of your batteries. Your inverter will then charge them at their optimum level ensuring that they don't gas excessively and evaporate electrolyte. The guy who installed my inverter or forgot to connect mine, so beware.

You also might want to think about security for your inverter. It is a high end piece of kit and very valuable. Keep it out of view and possibly think about locking it either in a cupboard or behind bars.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry, I don't know their name, but they are on Hugo Cunjar about two hundred yards down from the open air market.

Just one word of advice. They may try and sell you the aftercare package. They will come every month and check your water levels and your terminals. I would suggest that it's a waste of money as it's something you can easily do yourself.

Once you have your inverter and batteries installed, take your time and undo every battery connection. Make sure they are clean and re-assemble with plenty of vaseline petroleum jelly. This will keep corrosion at bay and if you do it well, it will last you at least a couple of years.

If you go for a higher end inverter, it will come with a thermal sensor that you stick onto one of your batteries. Your inverter will then charge them at their optimum level ensuring that they don't gas excessively and evaporate electrolyte. The guy who installed my inverter or forgot to connect mine, so beware.

You also might want to think about security for your inverter. It is a high end piece of kit and very valuable. Keep it out of view and possibly think about locking it either in a cupboard or behind bars.
Very good and useful advice.
We should point out that when cleaning the terminals and applying grease/Vaseline, that it should be done after assembly and not before connecting.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Good point Rocky!

Yes I forgot about that part. Make sure one of your inverter battery terminal lugs is disconnected before doing this. Otherwise things will get sparky!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good point Rocky!

Yes I forgot about that part. Make sure one of your inverter battery terminal lugs is disconnected before doing this. Otherwise things will get sparky!
That too, but what I meant is that the Vaseline must not be in between the contact points, which need to be metal to metal.
The grease applied after, simply prevents oxidization/corrosion on the terminals.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006

What is the life expectancy of the sixteen batteries?

Sollie

bestforless

Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for the help. Beeza that 90,000 was with Batteries and installation? I will buy it cash and carry and install it myself (I've installed them before)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the help. Beeza that 90,000 was with Batteries and installation? I will buy it cash and carry and install it myself (I've installed them before)
With that major an investment, it would be worthwhile to compare POP prices to STI prices.
Also, the battery quality is imperative and will affect the price.
Interconnect cables are hyper important too.
So far, most folks are in agreement that the Trace Black and the US 2000 batteries are the best.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Check La Sirena in Santiago, there prices are usually lower than the ones at Trace. Why, I do not know, but they are. I do not know about installation though, you can ask.

To add to this, a friend of mine awhile back went to Trace, which is down the street from La Sirena on Colon and told them the price in La Sirena was cheaper. They checked and gave him the same price. This might be your best option if you want to go to Santiago.

Last edited: