Restaurants POP

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
As i see a couple of threads about best restaurants in Santo Domingo and Sosua, I thought I start one about Puerto Plata, Cofresi and Costambar. My favourite is Stefanie and Natale in Las Rocas.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As i see a couple of threads about best restaurants in Santo Domingo and Sosua, I thought I start one about Puerto Plata, Cofresi and Costambar. My favourite is Stefanie and Natale in Las Rocas.
My favorite in POP is the Chinese restaurant that is located 100 yards West of the new court house, on the same side of the street.
I frequently drop in for lunch, just for egg rolls.
On a bad day, they are good.
On a good day, they are super excellent.
PS: The hot sauce that they make there, is fantastic with the egg rolls. You have to ask for it, of course.

S

sokitoumi

tam tams is a good option for a snack- I just discovered the upstairs bit with the view

los almendras is a nice place to sit with a drink and a snack

I never go for evening dinner in puerto plata- im not allowed out after dark

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Tam Tams is a good place for a snack and we enjoy the breeze and view.

Tarappa, the food is very good, service is great, and the price is fair.

Pizza International (at the roundabout) service is great, food is ok. Price is ok

Cariotides service is FANTASTIC, food is good, kinda pricey.

Quo Vadis, service is great, food is good, kinda pricey.

Taino Pizza in Costambar across from the beach. Food is very good, service is good and the price is fair. Nice folks.

Stefanie and Natale in Las Rocas. Service was very bad, food was late and cold, average price. This was one visit, should try again, but will wait a while.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
El Manquito a short distance before the Circle on the right is a very good, reasonable, Dominican run restaurant. The menu is varied, and the food and service are good.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I'll second Manguito. Excellent chivo sans bones. Good service, very good Dominican fare.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Tarappa, the food is very good, service is great, and the price is fair.
Pizza International (at the roundabout) service is great, food is ok. Price is ok
Cariotides service is FANTASTIC, food is good, kinda pricey.
Quo Vadis, service is great, food is good, kinda pricey.
Stefanie and Natale in Las Rocas. Service was very bad, food was late and cold, average price. This was one visit, should try again, but will wait a while.
tarappa, very good, our sunday lunch favourite the owner used to rent portofino but rental expired and he had to open his own place. since than portofino got a lot worse.
quo vadis, nice but a bit dull.
pizza internacional has good roasted chicken, at dominican price.
parillada, next door, great food, especially meats.
stefanie and natale is great, we know the owners so service is always good :cheeky:
cariatides, good, owner gives us special treatment too.
aquaceros, quite average, fast food style dishes.
armando, used to be much better, but armando himself is a real charmer and i am glad he is doing way better in his new place.

all those restaurants seem to be in a same range, not cheap but will not break the bank either. my favourite place thou has to be restaurant in casa colonial. different range from all the others, service is fantastic, prices sky high but chef is a star!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thirded for El Manguito - good fish. And seconded for the Chinese as above. :) And one no-one has mentioned - Rainer & Beatriz's Bakery in Costambar - good pizza, great homemade mustard which you can buy, excellent lime pie & of course German wholegrain bread (white & black).

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I will third the Chinese in POP - in fact Lambada pointed us in that direction. Eaten there twice and both times fantastic!

I will also propose Solo Mio ( sp? ) in Costambar - great pizza and pasta!
Going back a couple of years i believe it was called Cafe Negril (sp? ) which was accross the road from Solo Mio - had the best Seabass ever in that place.
Is Mike still cooking around POP?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Me too......

Definitely El Manguito :cheeky: - been going there for years

and the Chinese :chinese:

Never seem to get as far as Costambar............

Rio

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
I also recommend the Chinese restaurant. I have eaten there many times and the food is great. The first time I had the egg rolls, I dreamt about them for a week. Great food and the service and prices are both good. Highly recommended.

Another spot that has excellent seafood is La Pondarosa on De Julio not far from the town square on the North side of the road. Prices are on the high side and the service is very good.

Enjoy

gibbs

May 31, 2005
I second Solo Mio's They use good cheese for the pizza's. Also, staying in Costambar is Don Quijotes. Very pleasant and great food.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
There is also a Bar/Restaurant called la Roca in Costambar, anybody tried the food there? The pizza at the beach is great, Sole Mio is too expensive for what they serve, well, my opinion.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Papillion

We used to go to Pappilion alot, but we haven't gone ina few years for some reason. Has anyone gone lately and have a review?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We went there (Pappilion) a few weeks ago. Our first and last time. Service was ok, food was just average and the price was kinda high.

A

apostropheman

hmmmm...Chinese food!!!

I'm still dreaming about the egg rolls too!
I guess I was take there on a very good day because they were fantastic!!

The hot sauce was excellent too and not at all too hot, just right.

It sounds like there are quite a few other god choices as well...I may just have to get to POP more often in future.
My favorite in POP is the Chinese restaurant that is located 100 yards West of the new court house, on the same side of the street.
I frequently drop in for lunch, just for egg rolls.
On a bad day, they are good.
On a good day, they are super excellent.
PS: The hot sauce that they make there, is fantastic with the egg rolls. You have to ask for it, of course.
I also recommend the Chinese restaurant. I have eaten there many times and the food is great. The first time I had the egg rolls, I dreamt about them for a week. Great food and the service and prices are both good. Highly recommended.

Another spot that has excellent seafood is La Pondarosa on De Julio not far from the town square on the North side of the road. Prices are on the high side and the service is very good.

Enjoy

Thirded for El Manguito - good fish. And seconded for the Chinese as above. :) And one no-one has mentioned - Rainer & Beatriz's Bakery in Costambar - good pizza, great homemade mustard which you can buy, excellent lime pie & of course German wholegrain bread (white & black).

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
POP restaurants

Don't forget Tim Hall's Cafecito next to Harrison's on the Rte#5 near Playa Dorado. Excellent food & great daily specials

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Although i know who Timm Hall is - we had a bad experiance there.
It may not have been a "normal" day - but it was a let down for us.
Service was bad, i mean really bad. Food was average - however for people wanting to escape Playa D its a good place to start!