POP to toronto

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am looking for some cheap return flights from POP to toronto. i am a resident in DR and do not need a visa to canada, just a long weekend kind of trip. i am in no rush but i would like to know if:
a. i can purchase such ticket without selling my kidneys? (lets make is 500 dollars - american - but not much more)
b. is there any particular time of year when tickets are considerably cheaper? (no xmas please, i always go to europe then)
i would appreciate all advice and suggestions.
thank you!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Being a Resident of the DR is not your best card. What other passport do you hold?

People have mentioned westjet having good prices and Sept is the time that prices drop normally.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Being a Resident of the DR is not your best card. What other passport do you hold?

People have mentioned westjet having good prices and Sept is the time that prices drop normally.

WestJet is not flying September & October, there was an earlier post by Charlene about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but DV8 is from Poland by way of England. Canada lifts visa requirements for traveller s from Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Hungary
Mississauga, March 1, 2008 — The Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, announced today that citizens of Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Hungary no longer require a temporary resident visa to visit Canada.

May and June are probably the cheapest because it's the off season. Check WestJet, Air Canada, and AA.

“Canada enjoys strong ties with these countries,” said Minister Finley. “Lifting the visa requirement will help build those relationships to the benefit of Canadians and the citizens of Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Hungary.”

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

The citizenship of a country gives you the right to hold a passport of said country not the residency.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The citizenship of a country gives you the right to hold a passport of said country not the residency.

That's why I said that having a DR residency wasn't her best card.

Thanks Bob I couldn't remember if she was Polish or English.

DV8 if you come mid October you'll see all the beautiful colors of our trees. How long are you staying 3/4 days? We'll have to have a get together in your honour ;)

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only have one passport, polish. and yes, canada lifted visa requirements for us earlier this year so i can fly and shop anytime :bunny:

i only mentioned DR residency because of return flight, i hear that canada does not allow return flights from DR for non-residents. maybe i don't explain myself right - my canadian friends have to fly one way to canada and then return to DR, with return portion of a ticket unused.

i will be probably going for about 4 days, and i would so love to come in autumn, i miss four seasons... heck, i'd even risk coming in the winter, i haven't seen snow for about 6 years (no snow in london save for a paper thin layer that would melt in five minutes), i never even had luck with white christmas in poland...

and yes, it would be a pleasure to meet toronto dr1ers! :cheeky:

ps, i forgot to mention i need a direct flight, i do not have american visa yet so i cannot have stop-overs in USA. my mother in law is trying to force me into applying for a visa thou (they have a house in NC) but it takes two days of my holiday to travel for interview and then to pick up passport. i am a bit stingy with time...

speaking of stingy, will 500 US dollars buy me a return flight or do i have to pay more?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
DV8 you'll have to watch for specials

Here is the contact number for Air Canada in

Puerto Plata
Gregorio Luperon
Puerto Plata
Tel: 809-519-7744
Fax: 809-959-3114
Reservations: (809) 541-2929
(809) 541 5151

Air Transat doesn't seem to have any flights til Dec. no matter what date I put in

Westjet starts up again Nov. 2

The online booking is showing with taxes 633.20 Candadian $ ( damn taxes) from thurs Nov.13 to Sun. Nov.16

https://c3dsp.westjet.com/guest/newStepTwo.shtml

You might want to contact a travel agent there and have them watch for deals.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you fly WestJet, which I find great, they will only Flying on Saturdays so I believe you would have to leave on a Saturday and return the next Saturday.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
If you fly WestJet, which I find great, they will only Flying on Saturdays so I believe you would have to leave on a Saturday and return the next Saturday.

Actually, when they start up again in November....they are flying Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday from TO.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Westjet has a 50% off deal right now on Fall travel. $668.00 USD (return with all the taxes included)

But by November the leaves should be off the trees. Personally I think Summer is the best... it's like a Dominican Winter. And we have festivals, you can up north camping and canoeing in Algonquin Park where you can at least hear the mosquitoes coming at you. You can go to Montreal as well...

But rumour has it there's a Dominican in North Bay who loves ice fishing... you never know maybe suesposo will like it.

RedneckIceFishing.jpg

<Hmmmm....come to think of it... maybe I should try it...>

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha! miesposo would probably just freeze with small icicles of tears of despair running down his snowy cheeks! i may drag him along, why not. no reason for him not to get a visitors visa (he has both american and schengen visa). but i really wanted to travel alone. it's better for him to see total credit card bill than each purchase :)
i see the prices will be higher than for a flight to USA but it's still doable.
thank you all!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
ha ha ha! miesposo would probably just freeze with small icicles of tears of despair running down his snowy cheeks! i may drag him along, why not. no reason for him not to get a visitors visa (he has both american and schengen visa). but i really wanted to travel alone. it's better for him to see total credit card bill than each purchase :)
i see the prices will be higher than for a flight to USA but it's still doable.
thank you all!

Shopping... another thing you need to consider. Summer clearances for clothing, shoes etc. are on in August in Canada and Winter merchandise is starting to appear in the stores. Spain would be better :) :paranoid: or Miami.... nice shoes in Brazil.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
clothes not that important. i need face creams, face wash and similar stuff. plus some upper shelf cosmetics: dior, YSL, chanel. a shop like american macy's - you know, buy two chanel products and get a bag of stuff for 50 dollars.
spain is too far, miami requires visa, brasil is too far and ticket too expensive (beats me why it's more expensive to fly from DR to south america than to europe).
and most important stuff: polish. food. shops. in. toronto. OMG! :)