Prepaid mobile with data that's not too expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natecarlson

Aug 7, 2008
Hey all!

My wife and I are going to be spending a week and a half in Puerto Plata (well, technically, in Cofresi), starting on Saturday - we're really looking forward to it. ;)

I've seen lots of posts regarding pre-paid voice, and it sounds like either Orange or Claro will serve just fine, both with reasonable rates back to the United States. However, I'd also like to have data support on my phone, and it looks like both companies charge crazy rates for pre-paid data (RD$.06/min). I do see that Claro offers a monthly data plan; both BlackBerry unlimited for RD$1340/mo, and a laptop unlimited for RD$1595/mo. Both of these seem like a reasonable deal to me; however, does anyone know if it is possible to only sign up for one month of service?

Also, does anyone know if there is a Orange or Claro store in the Puerto Plata area? I've already got a phone that is not SIM locked; just need to buy a SIM card, activate it, and go. ;)

Oh, and thirdly - I've read that there is 3G/HSDPA service on the island, but haven't been able to confirm. Anyone know for sure? If so, which provider has the best service?

I'd love any tips or advice -- thanks much!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Pre-Paid data is not available as far as I'm aware with any company here.

Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Sosua all have Codetel and Orange stores.

natecarlson

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone happen to know if you are required to get a contract to sign up for the post-paid plans? Or if I provide my own phone, and I pay activation and the first month, then cancel?

Thanks!

laketravis

Jun 10, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have the same issue: need 24x7 internet access next week in Samana, and thought I'd go with a data SIM card.

I found on Claro and Orange web sites that both offer prepaid data SIMs, however with Claro, it seems that one needs to activate it via their customer service center, while with Orange it is not entirely clear what is required.

Does anyone know how to purchase a prepaid SIM with data plan from either Claro or Orange?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.