Suggestions for Hotel/Aparthotel in SD

DJC1768

Jul 25, 2008
Coming to SD tonight. Staying in one of the expensive hotels for a couple of days but want to move quickly to something more reasonable. I am working in the western part of the city so I would like something close. I am not picky...just needs to be clean, safe, have air conditioning, and internet access.

Any recommendations...suggestions....places to steer clear of...anything?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I recently stayed at Aparthotel Atalaya:

Apart-Hotel Atalaya

It is located in a residential neighborhood just off Sarasota, between Lincoln and Churchill...somewhat "west". I paid 1600 pesos per night for a standard room that was fairly large and included a full kitchen, king bed, balcony with great ocean view (best from rooms on the southern side of the building, but from this side you are also overlooking (and hearing) a fairly busy street), decent wifi, a/c and cable tv. They also have a covered parking lot. If you stay, definitely check a few rooms as the two I looked at were very different, and I believe they have several different types. My only real complaint would be the locks on the doors and overall feeling of security for the rooms. I had no problems in the 2 days there, but the doors could very easily be opened forcibly, if someone wanted to...

The furnishings and overall interior could definitely use updating, but in general it was a good value and comfortable place, especially if the area works for you.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Awhile back I posted a list of hotels and hostels in Santo Domingo with internet pages:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/73540-list-hotels-santo-domingo-city-net-links.html

You may also have a cab driver drive you to Independencia (first parallel North of the Coast) and Pasteur (Gasque). The are several hostel on that street's following intersection.

Most range RD$ 1200 to 2000 a night per room and some per person.
Most have AC, Cable, private bath with hot water. Some are newer, others older.
Internationally I would rate them ** and a few maybe ***.

A word of caution:
Gazque as well as the nearby colonial zone may look quite picturesque and "family" oriented during normal business hours. However, soon after dusk, both areas are not quite without risks and traps.

... J-D.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I have stayed at Atalaya before and was in 2004 I believe. Rooms as stated are very different and I paid about 30 dollars a night at that time and only stayed 2 nights. I personally was uncomfortable with room safety and nicer places can be found, I don't hang around SD at all anymore except to fly in depending on Santiago prices. It is close to shopping places and I walked to Las Sirenas for groceries and I think what is called Plaza Central, big mall type place, I always mix that and the Acropolis up so its one or the other.