Sea Sickness Pills ....

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I have to confess to occassionally suffering sea sickness when I go out fishing, but I find Dramamine tablets work 100% if I take them an hour or so before setting out.

Today I went to the chemist and they've not got any - instead I've been given something called Dramidom. A quick search around the net has offered up some very interesting results regarding what this drug is actually for, and now I'm really not sure if I should take it or not.

Has anyone ever taken it? And what for?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Nobody seems to know what it is or does.
I saw one reference to it as "Mystery drug".
:bunny::bunny: Try it on the dog first..:bunny::bunny:

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
There is another sea sickness pill that begins with an N. Sorry, never used the stuff myself, but a fishing buddy of mine used it regularly with success, ad it didn't make him sleepy like Dramamine did. If you can't find any medication, another remedy that I have seen work well is chewing some raw ginger slices. I've never been seas sick, but both these alternatives have worked for mates and clients of mine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i use dramidom. it's exactly the same as dramamine - at least for me. makes me just as sleepy and drowsy.
i have been taking this type of medicine all my life, probably several times a month so...
it's perfectly safe so fish the dog out of the sea and apologize ;)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Don't know about the dog, but te medication my friend used was called Bodine, in pill form. He liked it a lt, especially since it kept him from losing his lunch every time we went out to sea.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bodine??
Isn't that a special lactating medecine.

How did their advertizing slogan go?
Make more milk like a bovine,
With Johnson & Johnson's Bodine.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Strange name, I know. I was just happy to have it around, keeping my teak decks a lot cleaner, and my buddy saw the value also. As a professional big game mate, he didn't want to look like a Nancy in front of clients who were gong to be tipping him a good bit at the end of the trip. Vomiting rarely makes a professional skipper or mate look better.
In fact, laughing in technicolor doesn't ever make anyone look better, which is probably why those in Hollywood always excuse themselves from the table and lock the stall before maintaining their figure.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe gravol and vertirosan are names of a medicine with the same compound - dimenhydrinate. i need a strong drug to stop me from getting sick so i cannot consider any of those "non-drowsy" pills - all lies! ;)

dramidom is good. trust me, i have over 30 years of experience :bunny:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was a diving instructor and spent years on boats and liveaboards and don't laugh I was seasick. The best I found was Stugeron availble in Uk and I have loads. Non drowsy and you can drink with it and works like a dream. If you need any let me know and I can Metropac it.

Matilda

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I get very seasick ... so seasick, that nothing less than 3 days on the ocean is worth it. I use those patches with Scopolamine. The stuff is just great. ;) I'm high for only three days and then I can go to sea for as long as I like.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Sea sick = temporary hell

I get very seasick ... so seasick, that nothing less than 3 days on the ocean is worth it. I use those patches with Scopolamine. The stuff is just great. ;) I'm high for only three days and then I can go to sea for as long as I like.

Scopolomine patches are the way to go. Applying the night before has prevented even over imbibed land lubbers from ruining a fishing trip dozens of times.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Scopolomine patches are the way to go. Applying the night before has prevented even over imbibed land lubbers from ruining a fishing trip dozens of times.

Yes the transderm-v scopolamine is the best to prevent motion sickness (ships, airplanes, trains...) at least for me.:bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from POP to europe: one pill in POP before leaving for SD, second in SD before flying, third in paris/madrid before flight to berlin, fourth in berlin before two hours drive home. :tired:

i would be very interested in those scopolamine patches but miesposo says they are not available in DR. is that so? and how to put my hands on those?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
from POP to europe: one pill in POP before leaving for SD, second in SD before flying, third in paris/madrid before flight to berlin, fourth in berlin before two hours drive home. :tired:

Sounds so like me! I don't even sniff at an airplane if I'm not patched or pilled... The scopolamine is great for the purpose, but not very good for you. As I remember, one behind the ear the night before travel (I do get quite high and giggle a lot), and you can go for 24 hours.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm full of empathy for the sufferers because as a child I was the most awful coach/car traveller & dramamine for motion sickness hadn't been invented. When it did appear I was about 8 & my parents didn't believe in these new fangled inventions :rolleyes:. Strangely enough the 'you'll grow out of it, dear' :ermm: turned out to be true: after I had driven across the Sahara in Land Rovers & learned to fly an aeroplane I never experienced motion sickness again, in any medium. So dv8 if you fly the SD to Paris leg yourself you might get permanently cured..............:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So dv8 if you fly the SD to Paris leg yourself you might get permanently cured..............:)

fly? possibly no but if the gas prices do not go down i may find myself paddling a canoe all over to the baltic sea :cheeky: