Mosquito Screen

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Can anyone recommend someone who can give an estimate for my patio to be fully mosquito screened? The patio area is approximately 42ft x 7"3ft. We also require a mesh door to be fitted in this area plus an extra mesh door at the front of the house.
We're located 3 minutes from Sosua.
Thanks

J&T

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Screening is not very common here in the DR, as you probably know. I bought screen at Ochoa and built my own screens for my house. I have seen screen doors for sale in Ochoa as well. The hardest part about screening is finding screen that has dimension wide enough and long enough to allow for a porch screen, etc. Good luck!

S

sokitoumi

i was also surpised how difficult they are to find- i made my own in the end

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
i was also surpised how difficult they are to find- i made my own in the end

Wow!! you are clever. I need some of mozzie netting replaced and one or two windows are very wide - do you know where we can buy the mesh or, even better, can you do it for us?

S

sokitoumi

i went to the heath robinson school of DIY - the best place for the net I found was the ferrateria on the way out of cabarete towards sosua- its not on show but he will take you down to the basement and show you his goods- you will also need the metal strips with grooves and the nylon string if you are doing it properly - i found i can cut the metal with a normal saw if you dont mind it being made blunt lol - i wouldnt like to do it for anyone else- i dont think they would appreciate my lack of skills

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Instead of regular metal screen mosquito netting could be purchased and cut easily, then framed. Mosquito netting comes in some pretty big sizes, possibly fittng your needs. Happy hunting!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I would not recommend metal screening at all. First off, the illusion of it being durable is non-sense. Dust will easily get caught up in it and simply wiping it clean (or brooming/ dusting it off) is enough to cause problems. Tearing at seams,edges ect..also once the metal screen gets a bend in it, it is impossible to take out. Even galvinized screening will rust quickly and copper screening is just way to expensive and extremely rare here.
I would recommend either a plastic netting or better yet a custom made curtain that can be suspended by pvc pipe and hooks. These curtains can easily slide open or be drawn closed when needed. Just a suggestion.....

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
We had our entire D.R. house mosquito screened in november 2003. we had inside screens for the windows, front and back metal screened doors, sunporch ou Florida room all screened. When the maid brakes a screen it's very easy to replace it.

If I knew how to post pictures...

Last edited:
S

sokitoumi

errrrr very nice for you lol but how much and where did you get them

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
the best place ..........I found was the ferrateria on the way out of cabarete towards sosua .........but he will take you down to the basement and show you his goods..................

Something else to add to my list of "things to do" on holiday!

;)

14 more wake ups........

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
errrrr very nice for you lol but how much and where did you get them

We got it in Higuey don't remember the place (terminales...) They came to our place in the campo, 15 minutes outside Higuey, took all the measures and they came back a few days after to install it.

As for the price, I don't remember, not free but not that expensive either as our dominican dearest friend Bolivar took care of everything (as usual) so we had the local price instead of the gringo price.

Last edited:

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
My recommendation for a mosquito curtain is because 42' is a nice little distance. Why would anybody want to have a bunch of frames placed every 3,4 ect. feet? Unless you can find a wider dimensional screen. 3-4 feet is an average width for screening in my experience that can be bought "off the shelf". Companies do exist out there that can do the job, I'm sure...but without seeing the exact area and what it entails (i.e. columns or iron bars or maybe just a wide open area) I thought that mosquito curtains should be considered.

S

sokitoumi

its 48 by 240 inches whatever that is - you can have it if you are passing any time-

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
its 48 by 240 inches whatever that is - you can have it if you are passing any time-

Thanks that will be great. Do you want to PM me a telephone number so can warn you when we are coming your way? That is unless you want a trip out into the real world lol!!