Finding Siglo de Oro Rum?

seaosh

Aug 9, 2008
Hello. . .

I am visiting the Dominican Republic on holiday (currently in Santo Domingo) and hoping to learn more about the rum here. I have already tried a lot of different products (i.e. all the standard Brugal range). However, Brugal's top of the line rum, Siglo de Oro is eluding me. I have been all around town searching in supermarkets and bottle stores with no luck. I have even tried bars, hoping to at least be able to try it by the glass. Again no luck.

Does anyone know where it is available?

Some people say somebody recently went around buying it all up for export (better prices overseas apparently). Some people say it is still available at duty free in the airport. Some people say it hasn't been available for years (which I am certain is untrue).

I'm not sure who or what to believe. Any leads would be appreciated.

It would also be great to know of any bars around town with good selection of rum (including rums from elsewhere).

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Look for Barbancourt 5 stars "15 ans d'?ge"...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
blue bottle is normally out around november/december and disappears from shelves pretty quickly.
it is being sold at airports but the batches are never big so at some times of the year you will not find it that easily.
if you ever get to POP you may ask in brugal factory shop.

seaosh

Aug 9, 2008
Thanks for the tip Thomas. I came up to Sosua a couple of days ago and tracked it down in supermercado La Rosa.