is it impossible?

sarita

May 5, 2005
hi i have two children by my soon to be ex husband who is dominican, his name is on both their birth certificates. He is their father but in name only the only thing he has ever given them is the sperm that created them. It's been over a year since he last had contact with them(bearing in mind that they are only 3yrs old and 14mths old) so as u can imagine he has been no part in their life(well little)
ok getting to my question is there anyway in which i can legaly change their surmame? at the moment it is double barrelled with his and mine but i would like to drop his part so they just have mine, is this possible? i'm thinking proberly not without his permission and that he definately wont give me...he likes to make my life difficult. so is their anyother way? through the courts maybe? anyway thanks in advance

sarita

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I don't see the possibility to change the surname in the DR jurisdiction if both your children have birth certificates already with the surname of the father. The most you can get through the DR courts is alimony duty (for a fixed revisable amount of dominican pesos) for the father for sustaining both your children and some other minor privileges such as a court resolution designating yourself as having the official supervision for the children and that they would be living at your home and not at his.