Long Term Car Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Have been trading Emails concerning a long term car rental (4 months) with a person named Daisy Veras Reeves at Dominican Republic - Las Amricas - Santo DomingoAirport. Car Rental - Jeep - Rent a car. Have been quoted a compact car at $28 per day. Before I go any further with it, does anyone know or have information about the rental company?

Don't know about this company but you can get that rate (which is a daily rate at that) from the National-Alamo agency in Puerto Plata and with the full insurance option (recommended) it's an extra $5.50us per day.

Reactions: FernieBee

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why people try and save a few bucks a day and go with a no name car rental company is still beyond me, especially in the DR. We had a thread a week or so ago about a horrendous experience someone had by going this route.

Go with a known brand as they support their clients. National has had many great reviews on this board.

sosuamiguel59

Aug 29, 2006
And just why do you assume that I am trying to save a buck? Is it possible to post on here without getting this type of response. I am not looking to save a buck. I ran onto the car rental agency online. It is the only one I have exchanged e-mails with. The lady has been courteous and prompt in her responses. i did a search on DR1 for information before I went any further with it...found none and asked a simple question. Does anyone have a history with this car agency? A simple question like this should not elicit this type of response. If you don't know anything about them then there is no need to respond. If you do, please tell me what you know...but there is nothing in my question to lead you to assume I am looking to save a buck.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The point is that the DR offers no consumer protection, and doing business with a no name car rental agency can turn into a nightmarish adventure, as proven by many horror stories posted here, whereas National gets nothing but praise, so you might want to consider going with them, even if it costs a bit more per day.

sosuamiguel59

Aug 29, 2006
I did not know that this is a 'no name' car rental agency. That is why I asked the question. I will check out National. Any others I should be checking?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You can't go wrong with Alamo/National. Use a credit card which provides CDW and just purchase third party liability @ $5 US a day. You can call your CC (not the issuing bank) and they will provide you with a document of their CDW coverage.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I did not know that this is a 'no name' car rental agency. That is why I asked the question. I will check out National. Any others I should be checking?
National is the only highly reputed one I know.
The website link you provided, helped me assess them as being a bit amateurish.
Let's face it, it doesn't cost a million bux to get an English speaker to proofread it before putting it out on the WWW.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A simple question like this should not elicit this type of response.

Robert was trying to be helpful and warn you of some of the problems with unknown companies. Since you've already lived on the north coast people could have assumed you already knew this stuff. But they didn't. Instead they offered advice.

You're planning on moving here (for the second time) Mike. You're probably going to need friends. Going on your previous experiences you certainly don't need enemies :cheeky: so it may be wise to heed the intention behind the advice rather than respond confrontationally particularly since it is Robert who runs DR1 :) .

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just per chance, in another thread, posted today,
http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/78299-back-my-second-d-r-trip.html#post666199
The OP says,
While driving in SD on my third day the brakes in my rental car failed, but they failed gradually so I was able to pull over without any danger as soon as I felt the pedal get spongy. I called the rental agency (National) at Las Americas Airport and to my surprise they sent someone out with another car who arrived in about 45 minutes, and I was on my way.
Validates the point that National is the way to go.

sosuamiguel59

Aug 29, 2006
Good advice Ginnie. Thank you. If I was being over-sensitive to what I viewed as a condescending response to an honest question, I do apologize.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
99% of posts by people looking at no name rental companies are because they want to save a few bucks. If your in the 1%, then I apologize for assuming otherwise.

I think the posts after mine speak for themselves and give you the direct and real advice DR1 is known for. We may not always be eloquent in the way we deliver the message, but rest assured, you will not find a better source than the posters here on DR1.

Guch

Jun 17, 2006
This is Enterpise in Cabarette

Have been trading Emails concerning a long term car rental (4 months) with a person named Daisy Veras Reeves at Dominican Republic - Las Amricas - Santo DomingoAirport. Car Rental - Jeep - Rent a car. Have been quoted a compact car at $28 per day. Before I go any further with it, does anyone know or have information about the rental company?

Dairy Veras Reeves is with Universal Car Rental if that helps at all.
I have not used them.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I have used them before in their Cabarete office. Dairy's very nice (and pretty ;) ) & she and her brother Davey(?) were always above board in their dealings. Note, they do put a temp charge of $1500-3000 on your credit card to cover what they say covers the deductible before their insurance takes over in case of accident (also stated on website mentioned in post #1). They've always cancelled the charge on return of the car and given me the receipt indicating it's been done.

Never a problem with them & they were convenient & flexible (when I'd want a car for a 1/2 day to visit Lambada while GWB was playing golf :smoke:) ... but I'd still go with one of the big names for more than a day rental.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Never a problem with them & they were convenient & flexible (when I'd want a car for a 1/2 day to visit Lambada while GWB was playing golf :smoke:) ... but I'd still go with one of the big names for more than a day rental.
Hmmmmm, ......... I didn't know Lambada was up for rental!! :cheeky: :surprised :bunny: ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
(when I'd want a car for a 1/2 day to visit Lambada while GWB was playing golf :smoke:) ... but I'd still go with one of the big names for more than a day rental.

1) My honour has been betrayed! :laugh: Ain't no secrets in Puerto Plata.........
2) My name ain't big enough, huh? :cheeky:

Hmmmmm, ......... I didn't know Lambada was up for rental!! :cheeky: :surprised :bunny: ~ Grahame.

3) This is how rumours start...............;)
4) Back on topic SosuaMiguel might like to have a look through this thread for different people's rental experiences................of CARS.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/best-dr/39280-best-place-rent-car-5.html

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
First a few words of caution:

• Please take Rocky's and other's words of caution about using "free lancing" rental car companies and the possible culprits (read the link they provided to a recent story... and it's not a first!) very seriously.
  • If you are not a experienced driver of Latin American roads, you may want to re-consider the whole idea of driving your self... there are many threads about road un-safety, accidents, road rage and so forth. Directions are also not always clear and you may not want to end up in a neighborhood you don't know and you do not belong in, asking for directions in the middle of the night. All events which may affect your stay here quite seriously.
If you expect service and quality, as well as safety and the absence of a risk to financial adventures you may have little control over... in other words, if you expect a car rental experience somewhat similar than the one you are used to in countries like the US, you will want to go with one of the mayor rental companies, like Avid, Dollar, Budget and others mentioned here. They are more expensive and they will sell you a full coverage/no deductible for about the same daily rate like in the US. If you want to pay less, you can, providing own insurance or accepting a soon quite high co-pay/deductible (USD 1000.oo to 1500.oo). This amount will be frozen of on your credit card. If you are planning on using these mayor brand companies, you may want to consider booking and paying your vehicle in your country of origin or over the net and bring in a voucher (although there have been some reports of clients presenting these voucher of first having being hassled by personal of the local agency in the effort to try to extort additional monies and deposits).

If you have a good routine on driving around here and are used to offset financial risk for a (potential discount) you may try to haggle yourself a better deal at a local company. Again, there are, besides risks to you and your passengers, different categories.
Some "tiguere"* rent-a-cars, rent private vehicles form their buddies and anybody else who is in debt or needs money. These cars are in questionable condition and the effective insurance coverage will remain a mystery to the lessee until he is held in jail for a tragic accident. They require a deductible of USD 1000.oo to 2000.oo (CASH) and tend to try to hold on to your passport. (* Tiguere is a term often used locally to refer to street wise Dominican males)
I currently work with one of these local tigueres for my rental car needs and it's been flawless and friendly, but we showed our cards and teeth first and we have come to a certain mutual understanding. Yet, I have had the questionable privilege to observe him taking advantage of one of his unsuspecting tourist clients, all the whilst making them believe he was protecting them and saving them some money! So believe me... saving money here can come extremely expensive as others tried to warn already.

Others have real rent-a-car outfits with their own cars and tend to keep the up and insured quite well. Most of them may be foreigner running a small business and some may be recommended. I so far can recommend Kobi RentACar which operates out or East Sosua, has good rates, reasonable vehicles and runs a clean business (at least to me and the few I have referred to them). Still, keep in mind, they are not set up like Avis, so if you break down somewhere in the middle of nothing, they will have to send out a third party to look after the vehicle and you.

... J-D.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Two Points

1. I have used Universal Car Rental in Cabarete (Dairy Veras and brother Dave et.al.) for one month rentals over the past 2+years and never had a problem. When I was stopped by police I was delighted to find that all documents and stickers were on hand and up to date. Any little problem with a car (they were little and rare) was handled with ease and right away. I definitely appreciated the free pick up and drop off at any of the airports ( I used STI and POP). You can see my post in the Best Of forum.

2. If you do a search for car rental on this site you will find numerous horror stories from folks who rented from the "name brand" rental companies. It was enough for me to conclude that the big name was no guarantee of good service to say nothing of a good car.

Last edited:

sosuamiguel59

Aug 29, 2006
I want everyone to know I appreciate the helpful advice you have responded with. I have read each entry carefully and have spoken privately with a friendly acquaintance who also has contributed. I hope that the thread will continue. I did E-mail National today and asked for a four-month quote and am waiting to hear from them. I do plan to follow up with Universal to ask more questions.

Am not returning to the Sosua area until late December so there is some time to ponder the best solution.

I did live on the north coast from 2005-2007 (mostly full time) and before that lived a year in Puerto Rico and 6 months in Dominica. I left the DR in April of 07 planning to return in a couple of months, however due to several circumstances, have not returned. I will admit to being a bit burned out on life in the DR. I think the negatives of life there managed to overtake the positives. Like anywhere else there are positives and negatives of life there. My father passed away about that time leaving my mother an 87-year old widow after having been married for 62 years. I fixed up my apartment here in the 'states,' got used to everything working and receiving good service with a single phone call (and no bribe paid). But enough is enough and its time to get back to the 'adventure.' I'm bored.

I was on foot, riding in gua guas and publicos during the time I was there. I made up my mind that if and when I returned I was going to get some wheels so I could travel, have more independence, range further etc.

Though I have not driven in the DR, I am very aware of the driving habits there. I did drive while living in the middle of San Juan, Puerto Rico which is no picnic either as well as in Dominica where I had to learn to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. That isn't to say I would not be involved in an accident but I'm not going into it 'cold.'

I do plan to purchase an automobile, but would like to use the upcoming four-month vacation as a way to learn whether I am going to re-enjoy the life there or if it turns out to be a 'been there-done that' sort of thing and it is time to find another place for the next adventure.

Therefore, that is my rational for looking into a long-term rental situation.

Was talking with another friend and north coast resident today and he said, "why not go ahead and buy a car and then get it sold if you decide that you don't want to be here?" He added, "you shouldn't lose more on the sale than the cost of such a long rental will cost." Makes sense and another thing to consider.

Anyway, thanks so much for your input and please continue!

Status
Not open for further replies.