what to bring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
hi all, coming to stay at casa marina beach in sosua in october for two weeks,
what do we bring for the children, not got a lot of space but want to fill it with useful things.thanks in advance
trudy

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
what do we bring for the children, not got a lot of space but want to fill it with useful things.thanks in advance
trudy
It's all good.
Whatever suits you best.
It can be sports stuff, school supplies, clothes, toys, etc.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i always bring school stuff...and of course some toys. I also bring clothes for the maids and their families. I dont make a big deal of it tho. I pretty much leave the clothes for the maids and if they want them they can have them. If they dont use them then i am sure they know someone who can.

some lotions and creams are appreciated from the staff. Doesnt have to be all that fancy...but if you treat the staff at the begining of your stay they treat you extra special.

if you decide to leave pesos as a tip make sure to ask for the persons name and leave a note along with the pesos. You dont want to have them accused of stealing and get fired.

for the kids i always bring books and school supplies as well as toys. I've even asked my co-workers for donations as many of their spouses work for publishing companies etc.

oh..and decent shoes always seem to be well liked.

again tho. "Gifts" or donations i leave behind when i depart...tips are best done early-ish.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
if you decide to leave pesos as a tip make sure to ask for the persons name and leave a note along with the pesos. You dont want to have them accused of stealing and get fired.

Ain't that the truth!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
some lotions and creams are appreciated from the staff. Doesnt have to be all that fancy...but if you treat the staff at the begining of your stay they treat you extra special.

Trust me, your houskeeper wants Pesos not, your 2 oz. Jergens samples from Conway. If you are worried about any confusion about leaving cash, splurge and buy a few small envelopes. Write "Gracias para limpia" on the envelope. Pesos buys food for her family not soap. Save the cosmetics for your novia/o.

tambo'

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Trust me, your houskeeper wants Pesos not, your 2 oz. Jergens samples from Conway. If you are worried about any confusion about leaving cash, splurge and buy a few small envelopes. Write "Gracias para limpia" on the envelope. Pesos buys food for her family not soap. Save the cosmetics for your novia/o.

tambo'
I have never heard of an employee being accused of stealing for accepting a tip without a written note.
17 years of living here and never heard of such a thing.
But the part that is even harder to understand, is these 2 statements below.

Gifts" or donations i leave behind when i depart...

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
School Supplies

I volunteer at a local school in Sosua and need English reading books from early ages onwards - please PM me for more info. Many thanks.
Kind regards

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
On my last trip I was asked for " Canada " items /t shirts. I usually take tolitries ,make up nail polish etc for the chamber maids, Gum ,chocolate,and candy are items people really like ,especially gum -i am not sure why gum is so popular? This time i took photograhs of people i had met the first trip, some of the kids i had taken pics of LOVED having their pictures.My problem is taking too much , i ended up paying quite a bit of $ last time for my too heavy suitcase,:surprised

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
rock...why are my comments so hard to understand? I gave good advise about tipping and giving gifts.

It has been my experience (as well as other DR1'rs) that small tolkens are appreciated. I personaly like a small gift of something that i would not buy for myself. AND i have found if i leave the maids lotions and other things that my room is extra clean and well taken care of. Just a little tip i thought i would pass on to the OP. Perhaps if business owners would pay their staff more than 100 pesos a week while they charge a nice sum for rooms and food there wouldnt be such a need for humanitarian efforts...and i am not talking about lotion and cream.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rock...why are my comments so hard to understand? I gave good advise about tipping and giving gifts.

It has been my experience (as well as other DR1'rs) that small tolkens are appreciated. I personaly like a small gift of something that i would not buy for myself. AND i have found if i leave the maids lotions and other things that my room is extra clean and well taken care of. Just a little tip i thought i would pass on to the OP. Perhaps if business owners would pay their staff more than 100 pesos a week while they charge a nice sum for rooms and food there wouldnt be such a need for humanitarian efforts...and i am not talking about lotion and cream.
Let's try this one more time...
Because you say to give them at the beginning of your stay then you say to leave then behind when you depart.
Now, to most people, that would be a blatant contradiction, but I'm sure you're about to explain why it is not.
Originally Posted by jrzyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy
Gifts" or donations i leave behind when i depart...

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
trudy

I think the OP needs to make clear whether it is their own children or Dominican children they are referring to - "useful" could mean for either IMO :ermm:

Rio

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
it is a very simple concept. (i used to work in a guest house years ago so i grasp the idea).

I like to give the little gifts durring my stay. People like that kind of thing. THen on my last day I give out tips according to the level of service I have recieved.

I dont know why i wait till the last day to donate school supplies and leave a bunch of clothes behind. I guess it is because I dont want to make a big deal of it....and i dont want to offend or embarrass someone. I think this way the staff member has the choice to choose if they would like to accept the gifts or not...and not just feel obligated to the gringo tourist.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
IF you bring toys, please do all a big favor and bring INTELLIGENT toys and if you can, some time along with them. HellBoy, Batman and other convertible fighting figures, may be well received here too, but they are not furthering a much missed part of Dominican childhood playful education: The MAKING of something.

I think MegaBlocks (generic Lego) is a great toy and learning tool. Wooden trains may seem uncool with develop countries' kids, but believe me they are not once they get hooked on creation.

Q-tips are available at ever corner colmado. Only the big fat cotton safety tip ones are scarce at times, and then again, sometimes available at larger super markets. So is shaving gel seems to have become quite a super market and colamdo item, yet, much more expensive than at CVS.

... J-D.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
trudy

This thread has gone woefully off what the OP is actually requesting - she has specifically said "children" and has not made it clear whose children she is referring to.......

How on Earth people are suggesting shaving foam and Q tips is quite beyond me.

:ermm:

Rio

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
This thread has gone woefully off what the OP is actually requesting - she has specifically said "children" and has not made it clear whose children she is referring to.......

How on Earth people are suggesting shaving foam and Q tips is quite beyond me.

:ermm:

Rio

Erm... no fui yo! :D I was merely making a remark to an earlier post in which shaving gel and Q-tips are suggested.

... J-D.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
. Perhaps if business owners would pay their staff more than 100 pesos a week while they charge a nice sum for rooms and food there wouldnt be such a need for humanitarian efforts....

Marco - If you can swing $50K usd a year I'll come down and clean rooms for you. I'm very reliable and thorough. Remember how well I did with the RED NAIL POLISH?

I can only work from 10 to 2, and I'll need 5 days a week off, and a room included....and I promise no nekid chicas in the pool (before midnight):cheeky:

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Earlier i had mentioned having to pay quite a bit of $ for my luggage as it was over the weight requirement.I was told that if you are bringing items to donate to contact your airlines and there may be some sort of program for bringing items without paying the fee ..I think they required name /info about the charitable organization or church you would be donating to. anyway it may be worth looking into if you are planning on bringing school supplies/educational items these things get heavy.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco - If you can swing $50K usd a year I'll come down and clean rooms for you. I'm very reliable and thorough. Remember how well I did with the RED NAIL POLISH?

I can only work from 10 to 2, and I'll need 5 days a week off, and a room included....and I promise no nekid chicas in the pool (before midnight):cheeky:
3_7_11v.gif
3_7_11v.gif
3_7_11v.gif
3_7_11v.gif
3_7_11v.gif
3_7_11v.gif
3_7_11v.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.