Where to stay, what to visit and check out, Sabaneta de Yassica, Cabrera-Rio SJ-Nagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It is my cousin's last wish (before he returns to Switzerland for a couple of months) to explore the North Coast East of Cabarete... possibly all the way thru Nagua. We will be three people, my cousin, me and his wife.
I have passed thru often on my trips to the Peninsula of Samana but only limited my stops to food and well, you know what stops. So, I gladly join the exploration but am afraid of being a dreadful guide as I don't really know much about these towns and spots in between.

We would therefor welcome some advice as to:

• reasonably decent hotels we can stay at over night (with bath room en suite hot and cold and at leas some abanico which won't rattle so much to keep me dreaming about the air battle over Britain.
  • Spots and place we should visit. We are not statue and castle hunters, more looking for nice places, views, hidden beaches, place for small development and so forth (but don't want to spend our time listening to sales pitches of a friendly "agent" just yet).
  • We would also gladly meet some of the local Dr1 residents over lunch along the way too.
Thanks! ... J-D.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It is my cousin's last wish (before he returns to Switzerland for a couple of months) to explore the North Coast East of Cabarete... possibly all the way thru Nagua. We will be three people, my cousin, me and his wife.
I have passed thru often on my trips to the Peninsula of Samana but only limited my stops to food and well, you know what stops. So, I gladly join the exploration but am afraid of being a dreadful guide as I don't really know much about these towns and spots in between.

We would therefor welcome some advice as to:

• reasonably decent hotels we can stay at over night (with bath room en suite hot and cold and at leas some abanico which won't rattle so much to keep me dreaming about the air battle over Britain.
  • Spots and place we should visit. We are not statue and castle hunters, more looking for nice places, views, hidden beaches, place for small development and so forth (but don't want to spend our time listening to sales pitches of a friendly "agent" just yet).
  • We would also gladly meet some of the local Dr1 residents over lunch along the way too.
Thanks! ... J-D.

Not sure if this would interest you.... but stop in on a Sat or Sunday nite around 10 or 11 at Boumpa Grande (sp?) in Sabaneta...it's the large Gas Station in town, with a green sign out front, There should be a hundred or so Dominicans there dancing and drinking....intro yourself to the dominican gent with the Assault Rifle :cheeky:, nice guy but I forgot his name...

Buompa Grande is THE hangout in Sabanenta...

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Not sure if this would interest you.... but stop in on a Sat or Sunday nite around 10 or 11 at Boumpa Grande (sp?) in Sabaneta...it's the large Gas Station in town, with a green sign out front, There should be a hundred or so Dominicans there dancing and drinking....intro yourself to the dominican gent with the Assault Rifle :cheeky:, nice guy but I forgot his name...

Buompa Grande is THE hangout in Sabanenta...

Thanks, but probably we will skip bomba time this time... we will hit the road today in an hour or two to come back to POP by Thursday evening.

Playa Encuentro in Cabarete ( El Rocon for a beer just east of Encuentro)

La Boca just east of Cabarete behind the area called Camino Del Sol
YouTube - Kitesurfing La Boca del Rio Yasica, Cabarete, DR Summer '05

Playa Magante Coco Cabanas, Playa Magante La Yagua; Paradise Beachfront Destination

Laguna Gri Gri in Rio San Juan Laguna Grigri

Playa Caleton about 60 KM east of Cabarete - one of my favorite beaches
Playa Calet?n

Playa Grande ( do you golf?) Several beaches visible from the road in this area.

We have been to these places on day trips and never needed to spend a night, so I cannot really speak to that issue.

Kewl! Thanks for the recommendations and links. We may indeed look some of the locations up.

Gotta check tire pressure now and we shall be off soon.

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks to all who participated here and also PM'ed.

We only stayed over one night (yesterday) in Nagua.
We saw a couple of places marked as hotels, most of them at the East end going towards Sanchez/Samana.
We stopped at a hotel called Gran Madrid, which looked newish and and had a parking lot and offered a special at RD$ 600.oo per room and night. They where full.
Real close to it we saw a hotel Cambri which had a pool and seemed quite OK form what we could see from the outside. Today, upon my return, I found that a dr1 poster had e-mailed me and recommended that place.

We however wound up spending the night at hotel Sinai about a mile back into town on the North side (two blocks from the Sea).
We found that at a rate of about RD$ 1300.oo for two queen bed room and RD$ 1600.oo for a two queen bed JR-suite with air, private hot water bath and cable this and a secured private parking lot, this was a deal. The rooms are quite simple but very clean and so is the whole 3 story building.
We felt save and well.

All the way our trip from POP to Nagua and back, we found that food (restaurants) was expensive but many times good. However, especially Nagua surprised us with shops (bazaars) which carried products we haven't seen anywhere else or stuff which was quite lower priced.

Thanks! ... J-D.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
stayed at casa del sol in cabrera last week 600 pesos per room, good ac, right near water, drive into town, find the main square on the same street which has the disco, drive away from disco it is the right one block past the police station near the water, clean and convenient.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
I was in Nagua also just last week and what a nightmare lol . I went to the Cambri which is just off the main road 5 and it was 800 pesos a night . my friend was staying at another place on the main road for the night and I checked in around 7pm and told him I would come back for him at about 9 to go into nagua . well when I got up after my shower and went to pick him up , the roads were on fire!!! they were urning tires and had tree limbs all in the streets , as I pulled up to the hotel there was no electricity there at all!! the natives were going wild in the streets , throwing bottles , wow what a frigin nightmare , if it wasnt for my friends friend who fired a shot from his 9 mm in the air it could have got worse. we finally got out of that area and actually had a great time , we went into nagua and stopped at a local place across from the center park, it had plenty of billiards tables and plenty of nice looking people there . I met an american guy there , his name is Daniel, he was in afganastan and now living there on his american disability ,if you see him buy him a drink he deserves it if your american. Ater that night it got only worse , I was running low on gas as I had come from the new highway from Santo domingo las americas to Semana, and came to nagua thinking I could get gas there, WRONG!!! there were about a t least 2 hundred cars trucks lined up for gas , along with about a 1000 or more motos !!!! I had to bribe a local cop for assistance in getting the gas, he got someone to get a plastic container of about 1000pesos of gas. If you are ever traveling from Santo Domingo to say sosua GAS UP!!! as much as you can fit in the tank before you hit the highway!!! youll thank me later !!!! there are no pit stops, nothing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.