Should I leave the USA to attend college and commence a life in the DR?

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
Ever since I?ve returned from a vacation trip to the Dominican Republic this summer, I?ve been nothing but depressed and wanting to return. Yes I know this may be very common, because we all like to have vacation once in a while. But, I?ve considered all the options, and now its just making everything worse because I want to spend the rest of my life there.

My parents as well would enjoy a lifestyle over there, but it is practially impossible for us to leave, unless we miraculously happen to win the lottery. (which I doubt will ever happen) The economic situation is incredibly bad over there, (worse than the states) not to mention the government board is horrible as well. So unless we?re overflowing with money, I doubt that we would be able to live a comfortable life over there like we do here in the States.

But life is different over there. Beside the poverty and risky society that is lived over there, it is a completely different lifestyle, a completely different environment. In my opinion, people are friendlier, happier, and more easy going. The culture is completely different. For once in a while, I actually felt like I was living my life.

So now I?m back here in the States and I?ve been avoiding all my friends and just not wanting to do anything at all. Nothing here excites me like it does over there. My life over here is the exact opposite of how my life would be over there. And it depresses me time and time again when I think about it.

And reality is I?m not there. I?m here and it would suck if I don?t make the most of the time that I?m given. But when I?m old enough to establish my own life, I don?t want a future here. I want to finally be able to live the life I?ve been deprived of, because of economic status. So I?ve been thinking to attend college over there as soon as I graduate highschool.

But as obvious, I?m still very confused as to what I should do, which is why I need as much insight as possible. College over there MAY be cheaper, but it will be hard for me to work and pay it off by myself. If I were to stay here, there is a chance that I could get a scholarship, because I?m a dedicated honor student. On the other hand, if the scholorship does not completely pay off my college tuition, I would have to take a student loan which would require me to work my entire life just to pay it off, which clearly is not something I want to do. On any given case that my college tuition is the not a problem here, then I can always wait until I have a decent amount of money and then move there when I?m older (much older, probably) Which is the main factor as to why I?m so confused. What fun will it be when I?m old? I would very much love to enjoy the young years of my life in that type of happy environment, but know that it is most likely not going to happen.

And I?m very, extremely sorry for making you guys read this extremely long post, and know that I very much appreciate it for those of you that decide to help me out. I just need insight and advice from people with different views, as I?m very confused. Should I leave for college and take a risk in living a good life and making decent money, which may or may not work out? Or should I stay here in the states with the possibility of getting a scholarship and making decent enough money that I WILL live a good life over there, but when I?m much older?

Once again, I apologize for this lengthly post, and thank all of the ones who took the time to actually help out.

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
I say go for it. I too am in the wanting to leave. But its because I really love my people and want to be closer. Your young, have time on your side and dont have kids with you right? I think something good can be had, if you work hard enough and really want it.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
shoot for the stars man! go for it....
on the flip side though, and not knocking the college system in DR but i would think if you finish college in the US you could have better job opportunities available to you. you are hopefully fully fluent in both spanish and english so you'd be all set. whatever your mind and heart say just go for it! :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My advice:
work hard, go to college in USA, save money and then come for vacations here.
Given your mentioned condition, if you move here, you will go broke in 2 months.
AZB

P.S. if you leave the resort areas, you would be surprised to see how dominicans live here. In bigger cities, they live better than many americans.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
Same as I. I love my people and the lifestyle in that tropical island. I'm native born so I know the language and customs that are expected of over there. I know what I want, and that is to live my life over there so I would like to start off at college. However, I think much better is to come of my life if I stay here in the United States. Unfortunately, living a much rather comfortable lifestyle over there is becoming harder and harder every time. But life is short, and in the end we have to end up doing what makes us happy ... so if being with my friends and family, surrounded by the happy environment, is what makes me happy, then I might as well go for it. Even still, it is a rather complicated decision. After all, I'm still dominican and I know what its like to live there the 'dominican' way. Heh .. and who know's what might happen from here till' then. I just wanted insight from as much people as possible. Thanks for all your help!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Go for it? shoot for the stars?????
Are you guys nuts? Don't you guys know what type of a dangerous advice you are giving to the OP? Don't you guys know how expensive it is to live decently here? How impossible it is to make decent money if you don't speak spanish and don't have the contacts plus the know-how of this country?
The Op is young and living in a fantasy about living in the Caribbean. In reality, we all know (residents here), its not easy to make it here even with the right amount of cash brought here and putting together a business. We all know how many expats go broke here every year, lose it all and then have to move back to their parent's house. Some simply become bar flies and drop dead in some local hospital with nothing to show for.
So now we have a young person who is having problems making ends meet in USA, no spanish speaking skills, no real working knowledge of this country, no money and no skills to offer to the market here. How dare you folks tell him/her to go for it?
Its simply nuts and a total disservice to the newbe.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
disregard the above post because i thought you were a gringo with zero spanish skills.
Even then , I say, its not easy to make it here.
You will certainly have your family's support but remember, majority of the people here are suffering too, so don't get your hopes high.
AZB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
AZB, you never know...he might be a success story out in DR. i know the reality in DR is pretty eye opening and downright surprising for a lack of a better word, but you cant blame the OP for wanting to try. i lean more towards your idea of getting a good education in the US first and then give it a shot in DR, but again you never know what could happen.

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Yeah its not easy and I've heard the horror stories...but If he/she will be with family, it might be a little bit easier. Obviously,it will be abit harder..but if you want it, you will work hard for it. Even better if he/she has the fam there.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
While you all make rather good points, that is exactly my problem. I know that if I stayed here in the States, it is easier for me to get a scholarship and a decent job and make decent enough money. Then, when I'm old and retired, I could move to the DR and enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle over there. But I think, what fun will it be when I'm older. So I thought to attend college over there (I'd still be young, [18]) so I could enjoy living in the wonderful country as I wish. But as obvious, there is a downfall. Attending a good college over there may be expensive and hard for me to pay off. Plus, the chances of finding a good job and making decent money are slim to none, considering the economic slump in DR. Even still, I wouldn't mind living uncomfortable for a while as long as I'm surrounded by my family and friends, which is what I want in the end. For a fact, my future MAY fall apart if i do choose to leave, because I would be going over there with no money, and no job to depend on. So there are numerous things to take in mind before I make this life-changing decision.
And who know's .. maybe I'll win the lottery and not have to worry about it at all :)

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I think what some of the people are trying to say is, don't wait until you're ready to retire to move to DR, but finish your college education first in the US and then move. If you get a good education in the USA, then you will have more job opportunities available for you in the DR. So you won't have to wait until you are old and ready to retire, but just finish university (age 22) first and then make your move.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Ever since I?ve returned from a vacation trip to the Dominican Republic this summer, I?ve been nothing but depressed and wanting to return. Yes I know this may be very common, because we all like to have vacation once in a while. But, I?ve considered all the options, and now its just making everything worse because I want to spend the rest of my life there.

My parents as well would enjoy a lifestyle over there, but it is practially impossible for us to leave, unless we miraculously happen to win the lottery. (which I doubt will ever happen) The economic situation is incredibly bad over there, (worse than the states) not to mention the government board is horrible as well. So unless we?re overflowing with money, I doubt that we would be able to live a comfortable life over there like we do here in the States.

But life is different over there. Beside the poverty and risky society that is lived over there, it is a completely different lifestyle, a completely different environment. In my opinion, people are friendlier, happier, and more easy going. The culture is completely different. For once in a while, I actually felt like I was living my life.

So now I?m back here in the States and I?ve been avoiding all my friends and just not wanting to do anything at all. Nothing here excites me like it does over there. My life over here is the exact opposite of how my life would be over there. And it depresses me time and time again when I think about it.

And reality is I?m not there. I?m here and it would suck if I don?t make the most of the time that I?m given. But when I?m old enough to establish my own life, I don?t want a future here. I want to finally be able to live the life I?ve been deprived of, because of economic status. So I?ve been thinking to attend college over there as soon as I graduate highschool.

But as obvious, I?m still very confused as to what I should do, which is why I need as much insight as possible. College over there MAY be cheaper, but it will be hard for me to work and pay it off by myself. If I were to stay here, there is a chance that I could get a scholarship, because I?m a dedicated honor student. On the other hand, if the scholorship does not completely pay off my college tuition, I would have to take a student loan which would require me to work my entire life just to pay it off, which clearly is not something I want to do. On any given case that my college tuition is the not a problem here, then I can always wait until I have a decent amount of money and then move there when I?m older (much older, probably) Which is the main factor as to why I?m so confused. What fun will it be when I?m old? I would very much love to enjoy the young years of my life in that type of happy environment, but know that it is most likely not going to happen.

And I?m very, extremely sorry for making you guys read this extremely long post, and know that I very much appreciate it for those of you that decide to help me out. I just need insight and advice from people with different views, as I?m very confused. Should I leave for college and take a risk in living a good life and making decent money, which may or may not work out? Or should I stay here in the states with the possibility of getting a scholarship and making decent enough money that I WILL live a good life over there, but when I?m much older?

Once again, I apologize for this lengthly post, and thank all of the ones who took the time to actually help out.

You're going to feel like that everytime you go on vacation, i feel like that every year, i want to move to every single country i had visited.

Go to another country on vacation, if you feel the same way you feel now you will be in the same situation i am every year.

Don't rush.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
Ezequiel, I understand where you're coming from. But please remember that the Dominican Republic is my native country. I was raised there for four years before coming to the States. You do make a very good point, which is why I did mention it in the original post. I guess most of us want a different way of life than what is provided here in the States. But we also have to take in mind that there is a great difference in going somewhere for vacation, or for life. You're right when you say I'm rushing, and I've calmed down on the idea now. But hopefully, my future will bring very promising things. Who knows?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Ezequiel, I understand where you're coming from. But please remember that the Dominican Republic is my native country. I was raised there for four years before coming to the States. You do make a very good point, which is why I did mention it in the original post. I guess most of us want a different way of life than what is provided here in the States. But we also have to take in mind that there is a great difference in going somewhere for vacation, or for life. You're right when you say I'm rushing, and I've calmed down on the idea now. But hopefully, my future will bring very promising things. Who knows?

I'm Dominican too, i was born and raised there my whole life, i went to school there too, from pre-K to college.

And as i said in my other posted if you feel the same when you visit another country, that mean you not ready.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You're going to feel like that everytime you go on vacation, i feel like that every year, i want to move to every single country i had visited.

Go to another country on vacation, if you feel the same way you feel now you will be in the same situation i am every year.

Don't rush.

Yep!!!!!

I moved to Florida thinking the weather would make me a happier person.

NOT!!!!!!!

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
Oh I see what you mean. I have visited other countries and had the intention of wanting to return, but not wanting to live there. I'd bet that if I wasn't originally from the DR, and did not have family and friends there, that I would not have urgency to move as I do now.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
I think what some of the people are trying to say is, don't wait until you're ready to retire to move to DR, but finish your college education first in the US and then move. If you get a good education in the USA, then you will have more job opportunities available for you in the DR. So you won't have to wait until you are old and ready to retire, but just finish university (age 22) first and then make your move.

While that sounds more reasonable than anything else, if I'm going to attend college here in the States, I might as well work here, too, since there are better job opportunities and higher income rates. And if any given case that i DO NOT get the scholarship, then I'd have to stay here so that I could work my entire life to pay off the loan. Either way, I'd still be unhappy.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
While that sounds more reasonable than anything else, if I'm going to attend college here in the States, I might as well work here, too, since there are better job opportunities and higher income rates. And if any given case that i DO NOT get the scholarship, then I'd have to stay here so that I could work my entire life to pay off the loan. Either way, I'd still be unhappy.

First it doesn't take that long to pay off your college loans. Depending on what school you go to and what career you end up choosing you could pay off the loan in about 10yrs. I paid mine off in 8yrs.

Another option is to work for a company that has offices globally. That may give you the opportunity to have your U.S. wages while working in the D.R. I worked for my company in Japan for a couple of yrs and now I work from home. If I wanted, I could work out of the DR.

So, finish college here in the U.S. and then find a good job that will let you work from the DR. Good luck!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
My advice:
work hard, go to college in USA, save money and then come for vacations here.
Given your mentioned condition, if you move here, you will go broke in 2 months.
AZB
She is planning to arrive broke.:ermm:
For a fact, my future MAY fall apart if i do choose to leave, because I would be going over there with no money, and no job to depend on.
There are numerous Dominicans who would love to have the opportunities that you don't seem to appreciate.:tired:
Some of them will tolerate and pleasure repulsive gringos/gringas for such opportunities.:eek: