The ultimate indiscretion

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003

A few weeks ago in the DR I had the ultimate (so I thought) indiscretion possible for a comment on a country and it's people. Seems my phone (and internet) went out for three days (these things always happen on a Friday). No-one knew what happened and finally the phone company informed us. Seems some thieves stole the telephone wire (and electrical too) from the poles and ground. Also, it seems this is the third time in the last few month. How desperate can people get?

My initial thought was, "boy I'm glad I don't live in such a country" for I was planning one day to move here (Sosua) permanently. Such is life, maybe not ....

Now I'm back home and I just went on my evening beach walk. I live in S. Calif and the evening are great to walk off your meal. I read in the local paper a week ago about some thieves on the beach but I didn't put it together. I noticed on my walk that the metal plaques (donated in memory of a loved one to put a nice bench on a walking path) had been plyed out. These plaques where made out of some iron/copper solution and I guess were worth their weight in gold (as copper cables).

But what kind of person prys them out and leaves a big hole in place of a memory for a deceased loved one? Weekly flowers were put on these benches in remembrance, this was why the walk was so magical. Watching the sunset and seeing the flowers just made you feel good. Oh well, such is life ...

Now I'm back on moving (one day) back to the DR permanently. Guess stealing electrical cables isn't so bad after all.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Don't get too excited. Here they steal coffins too. After they have been put in the ground

S

sokitoumi

dont laugh too much if you have gold fillings....I also did an evening walk in s.california on the beach and no I didnt feel safe

S

sokitoumi

they dont actually know whether it just rusted and fell off ...but it makes a good story

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

A few weeks ago in the DR I had the ultimate (so I thought) indiscretion possible for a comment on a country and it's people. Seems my phone (and internet) went out for three days (these things always happen on a Friday). No-one knew what happened and finally the phone company informed us. Seems some thieves stole the telephone wire (and electrical too) from the poles and ground. Also, it seems this is the third time in the last few month. How desperate can people get?

My initial thought was, "boy I'm glad I don't live in such a country" for I was planning one day to move here (Sosua) permanently. Such is life, maybe not ....

Now I'm back home and I just went on my evening beach walk. I live in S. Calif and the evening are great to walk off your meal. I read in the local paper a week ago about some thieves on the beach but I didn't put it together. I noticed on my walk that the metal plaques (donated in memory of a loved one to put a nice bench on a walking path) had been plyed out. These plaques where made out of some iron/copper solution and I guess were worth their weight in gold (as copper cables).

But what kind of person prys them out and leaves a big hole in place of a memory for a deceased loved one? Weekly flowers were put on these benches in remembrance, this was why the walk was so magical. Watching the sunset and seeing the flowers just made you feel good. Oh well, such is life ...

Now I'm back on moving (one day) back to the DR permanently. Guess stealing electrical cables isn't so bad after all.

Except if they steal 1000 feet twice in 2 months

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Unfortunately, these types of crimes happen almost weekly in the campo. There are many around us who had to bury wires and then cement on top of them just to protect them. This only happened after they got "hit" several different times.
When you see a truck drive by with the loudspeaker on maximum volume, offering peso's for metal or old batteries don't sell what you have, even if it is no good to you. This just inspires the theives even more.
I even had the luck of spotting our neighbor's inverter with his batteries in the back of a truck, driving in front of me, in front of our house, when our neighbor was just robbed the night before. Go figure.....

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
It happens everywhere

I live in Toronto and a couple of weeks ago thiefs made off with 14 drain covers from a major highway...........how braisen is that.
hifiman