3 things you need to survive in the DR

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
3 things you need to survive in the 3rd World

The electric company is allegedly upgrading the service in my sector of Santo Domingo. As a result, the power goes out every Wednesday at 8AM and comes back on at around 5PM. Other than those times, I always have service unless, of course, they turn it off for some other reason or it?s raining.

The water services are much better. That is, unless the power problems cause difficulty with the main pump which brings the water from the street. But when the power is working the water flows fine unless, of course, it?s raining.

You see, when it rains all bets are off. The streets flood, all appointments are canceled and taxis become about as regular as Haley?s Comet. You may be asking how we deal with such major inconveniences. The following three things are absolutely indispensable.

Back-up Power

uninterupted-power-supply.jpg

This is my ?inversor? or back-up power source. If it looks like two car batteries that?s because it basically is. Otherwise known as an ?uninterrupted power source?, it kicks on automatically when the main power line goes dead. Using fans, all of my office equipment and the TV I get about 4-5 hours of power out of it. Unfortunately, it will not power anything that requires 220 volts. Thus, the refrigerator, air-conditioner and microwave won?t work. Regardless, this little baby is an absolute necessity in the Dominican Republic. The whole system goes for a few hundred bucks.

Buckets

buckets.jpg

Buckets are another necessity. Water is usually not a problem but can still go at any time. 2 weeks ago, without notice, it went out for 3 days. During such times it?s nice to have some buckets around so you can still wash dishes, water the plants and, of course, flush the toilet. In addition, you can take a ?bird bath? so you don?t stink up the house. Personally, I hate taking ?bird baths? because it reminds me of when I was in the Army and that makes the next necessity even more important.

Friends, Family and Good Neighbors

neighbors-in-the-dr.jpg

No matter where you live, you need a support network of friends and family. And if they live in different sectors of the city than that?s even better. Why? Because more than likely they will have water and electricity when you don?t! However, good neighbors are just as important. During our last ?water outage? my wife noticed a woman in the apartment complex behind ours (across the same alley where these guys recently fixed my air-conditioner.) Evidently, that complex runs on a different service grid as the lady had a hose in her hand and was watering her flowers. She happily handed over the hose so we could refill our buckets. In exchange, my wife gave her a huge mango which put a smile on her face (see pic). That made me chuckle and for a moment forget how ****ed off I was.

Side note: I know that the term ?3rd world? doesn?t make sense anymore since the end of the Cold War. However, the new kinder and gentler ?developing world? doesn?t make much sense to me either. ?Developing? implies some sort of forward movement and progress which I have not witnessed over the past 6 years. Tune in tomorrow for a candid look at why so much of the developing world isn?t developing.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

RHM

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
very good thread. My inverter is the best money I have spent in this country. I just don't see how people get by in every day's life without inverter.
AZB

S

sokitoumi

I think you forgot food and medical supplies....and one of those things for taking the stones out of horses hooves

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
100% positive. Actually, we gave her two. You can see the other one behind her.

RHM
Okie dokie.

I just don't see how people get by in every day's life without inverter.
AZB
Me too.
Life changed, the day I bought my first inverter and I could never go back to not having one.

and one of those things for taking the stones out of horses hooves
I have a few spare ones, if you want.

I agree with those 3 priorities, Randall.
As it happens, we don't have water problems here, but life without it, would be unbearable.
Given the choice of going one week without water or electricity, I would forego the electricity.
You have got to have water.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can I add a fourth indispensable, RHM? A sense of humour. You have it, as is clear from your post, most of us have it & we take it for granted that we see the funny side of challenges & incidents but for a potential relocator who hasn't actually lived here yet, I don't think it can be overemphasised. You have to learn to laugh at things here. :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one thing

you only need one thing: money. this will buy you everything you need.

sorry to say but i do not care about neighbours in the slightest and would prefer to have none at all - no loud music, no screams of kids being beaten up by daddy, no bothersome old ladies that have nothing better to do than kill my time talking.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
you only need one thing: money. this will buy you everything you need.

sorry to say but i do not care about neighbours in the slightest and would prefer to have none at all - no loud music, no screams of kids being beaten up by daddy, no bothersome old ladies that have nothing better to do than kill my time talking.

Or asking for some sugar!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Can I add a fourth indispensable, RHM? A sense of humour. You have it, as is clear from your post, most of us have it & we take it for granted that we see the funny side of challenges & incidents but for a potential relocator who hasn't actually lived here yet, I don't think it can be overemphasised. You have to learn to laugh at things here. :cheeky:

Very good point. I used to get very upset at little things, like dominican driving habbits and working habits. Now I simply do as they do and simply laugh off many incidents which used to get my blood boiling in the past. You also need to be humorous with dominicans. Nothing breaks the ice better than with a good laughter. I make them laugh and they do whatever I ask in return. Hahahaha. Life goes on (but a bit easier).
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Or asking for some sugar!!!!

all the sugar i have at home would barely take a dominican family though one week! ;)
and yes, as lambada says, good sense of humour. but then both fun and money are useful in any country :cheeky:
AZB - i praise our inversor every day. when it has completely discharged recently (in 48hrs we had about 8hr of electricity) i was almost ready to have a beer at a gas station, anything but sitting in complete darkness :bunny:

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
a) Learn the linguo;
b) Never show where your money comes from;
c) Be nice but dont get TOO friendly.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
i was almost ready to have a beer at a gas station, anything but sitting in complete darkness :bunny:

So what happened to your supply of candles & the hurricane lamps? :cheeky:

We lived for the first 3 years or so here without an inverter. Course it was wonderful when we got one ( & we now have a generator as well!) but I wouldn't want to discount what I learned in those 3 years: how to cook in the dark, for one :laugh: how to read by candlelight and what it is like for everyone else who doesn't have an inverter. We did what everyone else did when the power went off at night - went & sat on the patio, chatted & stargazed. :) And even at the time I could think of lifestyles which were a lot worse than ours. Those poor folks freezing back in a UK winter, for starters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So what happened to your supply of candles & the hurricane lamps? :cheeky:
We did what everyone else did when the power went off at night - went & sat on the patio, chatted & stargazed. :)

good point, i did remember about candles and went to dig them up in the light of my watch (no wonder it's batteries don't last long). gotta buy more...
i dare to say that darkness encourages dominicans to less innocent actions that sitting on a patio :eek:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We lived for the first 3 years or so here without an inverter. Course it was wonderful when we got one ( & we now have a generator as well!) but I wouldn't want to discount what I learned in those 3 years: how to cook in the dark, for one :laugh: how to read by candlelight and what it is like for everyone else who doesn't have an inverter. We did what everyone else did when the power went off at night - went & sat on the patio, chatted & stargazed. :) And even at the time I could think of lifestyles which were a lot worse than ours. Those poor folks freezing back in a UK winter, for starters.
My sentiments exactly, and I enjoyed those early days, "roughing it" when there was no power, but things are different now.
Back then, I didn't even have a TV so a power failure would not interrupt a movie I might have been watching, and I didn't have a computer, so it couldn't interrupt my present PC habits and obligations.
It was more like camping, back in those days and they were fun times.
I wouldn't change anything, if I had to do it over again, but now that I have all my electronic toys and luxuries, living without an inverter would just be plain intolerable.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My sentiments exactly, and I enjoyed those early days, "roughing it" when there was no power, but things are different now.
Back then, I didn't even have a TV so a power failure would not interrupt a movie I might have been watching, and I didn't have a computer, so it couldn't interrupt my present PC habits and obligations.
It was more like camping, back in those days and they were fun times.
I wouldn't change anything, if I had to do it over again, but now that I have all my electronic toys and luxuries, living without an inverter would just be plain intolerable.

Specially if you live in Santiago according to DR1 news

Santiago water and light rationed
Water and electricity services are being rationed in the nation's second city, Santiago de los Caballeros. Reporters are calling the situation "critical" due to the widespread cuts in service by the Water and Sewer Corporation (Coraasan) and by the Energy Distributor of the North (EdeNorte). Thousands of users are screaming every time the tap is turned on and there is no water or the switch is thrown and there is no light. In the southern part of town, all of the barrios, such as Villa Olimpica, Pekin, Los Jasmines, Amanza Tigres, Sal Si Puede, Barrio Lindo among others, have been hit by long blackouts. The same situation can be found in the northern and northeastern sections of the city, where areas like Ensanche Libertad, Las Colinas, Cienfuegos, El Ingenio and Monte Bonito were seriously affected by the power cuts. Even noted residential areas such as the Cerros de Gurabo, Llanos de Gurabo, Los Reyes and Canca la Reina were affected, even though these are registered as areas with 24-hour electricity service.
The lack of water in the Tavera Dam and issues at the generation stations in Puerto Plata, as well as at the hydroelectric units at the Tavera Dam are reported to be the main causes for the below usual service

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Specially if you live in Santiago according to DR1 news

Santiago water and light rationed
Water and electricity services are being rationed in the nation's second city, Santiago de los Caballeros. Reporters are calling the situation "critical" due to the widespread cuts in service by the Water and Sewer Corporation (Coraasan) and by the Energy Distributor of the North (EdeNorte). Thousands of users are screaming every time the tap is turned on and there is no water or the switch is thrown and there is no light. In the southern part of town, all of the barrios, such as Villa Olimpica, Pekin, Los Jasmines, Amanza Tigres, Sal Si Puede, Barrio Lindo among others, have been hit by long blackouts. The same situation can be found in the northern and northeastern sections of the city, where areas like Ensanche Libertad, Las Colinas, Cienfuegos, El Ingenio and Monte Bonito were seriously affected by the power cuts. Even noted residential areas such as the Cerros de Gurabo, Llanos de Gurabo, Los Reyes and Canca la Reina were affected, even though these are registered as areas with 24-hour electricity service.
The lack of water in the Tavera Dam and issues at the generation stations in Puerto Plata, as well as at the hydroelectric units at the Tavera Dam are reported to be the main causes for the below usual service

Most of the barrios mentioned above are so ghetto and dangerous that i won't even leave my dog alone there for 30 minutes. I won't be surprised if the majority of the people don't pay water or lights. if these people complain of blackouts then they have no voice. They don't pay for it anyway.
AZB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Agree with Lambada about the 'sense of humour' even in these times in DR and also the UK winters plus the current damp, chilly and windy Summer they are currently experiencing. Also with Matilda regarding the Brugal (lol). Disagree about money being the "only" thing - money never made happiness anywhere. My only addition would be good health and feeling happy - 2 things which to me outweigh all the rest tenfold.