Cell Phones

walshington

May 12, 2008
Hey,

My husband and I are moving to Santo Domingo in 1 week and will need to establish new cell phone service asap. What is the best service/service plan for calls within the DR? I have heard of a plan that includes calls between the US and DR for a cheap rate...do you know who carries this? Where should I start looking for information?

Thanks!!!
walshington

Empress

Jul 31, 2008
SIM card , cell phone information

Hello DR1,

This is my first time posting, and I need to get some information regarding replacing a SIM card, and possible costs. My fiance's SIM card recently stopped working and it needs to be replaced. The cost quoted by the company was quite steep approximately $300.00 US, and the representative claimed that "that is the way things are", We're really needing help to find an affordable replacement, so I'm assisting in the shopping around the only way that I know for now, whilst he asks around there.
I read previous posts on other cell phones. The phone itself seems ok for now.
Can anyone help us with a start on resonable quotes.
Perhaps a silly question, but:

do you think the entire phone should be replaced?
And are there any resonable quotes
Company
Reliable references?

Some of my family and I have visited quite a number of times, and we have SOME DR street sense (for lack of a better way to put it). I'm understanding to what the reality is, and what ppl try from time to time, but I love this site as it teaches, and prepares you so that you can function with less frustration, thank you for the effort you all put into DR1!

Thank you for any replies here, I'm really looking forward to the replies.

Empress

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hello DR1,

This is my first time posting, and I need to get some information regarding replacing a SIM card, and possible costs. My fiance's SIM card recently stopped working and it needs to be replaced. The cost quoted by the company was quite steep approximately $300.00 US, and the representative claimed that "that is the way things are", We're really needing help to find an affordable replacement, so I'm assisting in the shopping around the only way that I know for now, whilst he asks around there.
I read previous posts on other cell phones. The phone itself seems ok for now.
Can anyone help us with a start on resonable quotes.
Perhaps a silly question, but:

do you think the entire phone should be replaced?
And are there any resonable quotes
Company
Reliable references?

Some of my family and I have visited quite a number of times, and we have SOME DR street sense (for lack of a better way to put it). I'm understanding to what the reality is, and what ppl try from time to time, but I love this site as it teaches, and prepares you so that you can function with less frustration, thank you for the effort you all put into DR1!

Thank you for any replies here, I'm really looking forward to the replies.

Empress

Replace SIM for $300US ???!!!

What shameless crooks!!!

Empress

Jul 31, 2008
Hello All!

I appreciate the replies so far, I believe in shopping around, and we both decided to look for different quotes. I don't remember the name of the company of the cell phone unfortunately, but I thought it a good idea for better service and quality to look around. Perhaps I heard wrong, but my fiance claimed suspicion regarding pricing, and wanted other options.
I just don't know the costs of other companies products, only a general idea from this end, for now.
I read previous posts on phone's available through a vendor in Sam's Bar. Is it reliable to buy from vendors, as well as stores? For eg...Is the phone in good working condition/ refurbished?
Anyways, we're trying to get that sorted out hopefully in a couple of days.
Any other quotes so far?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The phone companies here sell SIMS for a RD$250-300, including activation. Orange, Claro, Viva etc. Go to any small store and that's the price.

Whoever quoted you US$300 is robbing you blind or you misheard what they said.

Swdee

Jul 23, 2008
The phone companies here sell SIMS for a RD$250-300, including activation. Orange, Claro, Viva etc. Go to any small store and that's the price.

Whoever quoted you US$300 is robbing you blind or you misheard what they said.

i don't even think they charge US$300 here in the states!!!!
everytime i visit i ALWAYS get a new SIM and it cost about RD$300. i've used Orange and Claro.

Empress

Jul 31, 2008
Thanks all, sensible quotes! GHere they're usuallly bet $40 - 60.00. Hve a great day.

Empress

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
In terms of prices pre-paid Viva is the one that has the better prices, in pre-paid the cost for all calls within Dominican Republic to all operators is 0.07c + tax per second, 5.40 a minute including taxes and same price to USA, Canada and Puerto Rico.

If you qualify for a pospay plan prices are better, I have a plan Viva top 150. Every month I pay a fixed fee, RD$691.20 including taxes and I get 150 Minutes, 150 free txt to viva mobiles, txt msj to other companis RD$1.28 including taxtes, free MB packages to internet, i can add 4 Viva's favorite numbers and 1 number in USA to call at 0.03 + tax.

The Sim is Free for prepaid you only pay for the amount to charge.