Working and living in Sosua...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karolina_Abroad

Dec 26, 2007
Hello-
I have been offered a position at a school in Sosua (teaching English). I came across the school on this website and it seems that many people send their kids to this school. Like most, I've vacationed in the Punta Cana area but have also stayed with a friend on one occassion for an extended period of time in another part of the DR. This doesn't mean I know exactly what life is like on the island - don't get me wrong. I have a BA and a CELTA and I've taught English in other parts of the world so adjusting to different cultures and life is not that problematic.

What I want to know is what is life - regular life - like in Sosua. Is there a place I can find out prices for things (rent, groceries, entertainment, etc.). I am a single woman in her late 20's who is not a drinker but does like to dance, converse, read and travel.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Aug 21, 2007
You found the right place...DR1. Do a search of costs, night life, restaurants, single women, etc. You will find all you need right here.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations on the new job. I hope you find it fulfilling and rewarding.

Lindsey

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
rent for modest american standard apartment $300-$500, groceries less for local products more for imports blends to be a bit less, cars are very expensive, gas is expensive, you can do without a car but life is easier with one, without drinking you can live well on $2k a month is you have money for a car, etc. cars are about double US prices.

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Congratulations

Hi Karolina
Congrats on the job
PM me if you need a temp place to stay
Welcome to the DR
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.