Solar hot Water protech

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I am considering a Solar Hot water System.
I have only investigated 2.

Mega Sun has the standard system and 60 liters of Hot water at a cost of $2200 . I saw also at Protech on the Highway near Sosua a unit made of Fiberglass with a 200 liters Hot water tank for a little less than 2000$ and made in Greece. And installation is basically plug and play.

Not being so much in the know about these I was wondering if there are advantages one over the other and if any of you have tried the Protech unit.

Are there any other decent units out there?

Joe

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
You can always build one yourself cheaply using used PET bottles and aseptic cartons...
http://www.temasactuales.com/temasb...ing/a-solar-water-heater-made-of-pet-bottles/

solarheaterguide.jpg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I had a guy from Santiago put my system in Feb of 2007. A 90 gallon tank, 2 solar panels, extra bolts & retaining brackets (against hurricanes) & linked in to my existing hot water cistern.

As my electricity usage came down to BELOW the 700 KwH each month (where EdeNorte can charge at least double rates!!), the system has already saved me the RD $64k I spent out on it - here on in I am into FREE hot water!!

You are more than welcome to check it over fully when you are here next Joe!! The fitter (& owner of the company) still rings to make sure everything is OK so I can give you his number if you like what you see! ~ Grahame.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We looked at both and originally were going to use the Protech, however the guy left the country with lots of folks money. New owner seems to have gotten it right and we have friends with the system and are happy.
We eventually went the Megasun route and are delighted. We have gone amost three days with no sun and still hot water. The friends with the protech system had to use a back up after 2 days.
Both will save you $$$$$$.

Bob K

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I had a guy from Santiago put my system in Feb of 2007. A 90 gallon tank, 2 solar panels, extra bolts & retaining brackets (against hurricanes) & linked in to my existing hot water cistern.

As my electricity usage came down to BELOW the 700 KwH each month (where EdeNorte can charge at least double rates!!), the system has already saved me the RD $64k I spent out on it - here on in I am into FREE hot water!!

You are more than welcome to check it over fully when you are here next Joe!! The fitter (& owner of the company) still rings to make sure everything is OK so I can give you his number if you like what you see! ~ Grahame.

Hey Bushbaby ! Iwill do that but I too want this thing in! We have the 2 levels on the house and the Family and friends start showing up here in September. My 1.5 Liter tank doesn't cut it ! LOL I suppose we could start group showers but that is another thread topic for another Forum ! Believe me I know all too well the Double costs of Edenorte. I ordered a New meter for upstairs 3 months ago , And Paid of course when the new contract came but still no install.

I want to get this thing in as soon as possible. One point is Hurricanes. I plan to have this 2 levels up on the roof. That is a very good point. I will have to think that through. I guess putting it in the casita I have on the roof really defeats the purpose !

Last edited:

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
We looked at both and originally were going to use the Protech, however the guy left the country with lots of folks money. New owner seems to have gotten it right and we have friends with the system and are happy.
We eventually went the Megasun route and are delighted. We have gone amost three days with no sun and still hot water. The friends with the protech system had to use a back up after 2 days.
Both will save you $$$$$$.

Bob K

thank you Bob K

What about tank size? We aer a family of 3 but I have an Upper Levvel and can be up to 10 People in the house. The 200 Liter tank on the Protech one attracted me. Are you using 60 liter tank ?

Joe

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Ferreteria Plaza America [sp?] in Santo Domingo had a double collector system made in China for somewhere in the RD$ 90K's, if my memory serves me well. It has the double walled glass tube system which is said to be highly efficient. The whole rig would have been enough to graciously supply a 3 bath villa with boiling hot water.

Yet, as it has been brought up in this very thread, there are various ways one can build his own soar hot water system. With all the sun and heat we have, there is really no need for high tech in my opinion... maybe just use 2 low tech collectors instead of one high tech collector.

I have some books here on "how to". I am in Puerto Plata and if you care to swing around, you are welcome to study them here or make copies... jest PM-me.
If you chose to undertake a project, I might even be tempted to participate... hands o just for the heck of it.

... J-D.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
i have a couple of the megasun products.. and totally happy.

it's a premium product, and the guy who installs them is totally first class. the thing to watch with the cheaper units is that they may not be all aluminum, so the parts will corrode over time where as this one will last a life time.

if you go for the bigger unit, it's only a bit more. you'll appreciate it in the winter during rainy season.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm still trying to figure out what "PET bottles and aseptic cartons" are!
PET is a plastic resin. The 2 liter soft drink bottle you buy is made of PET, as probably are the the smaller plastic soda bottles.

aseptic cartons are the rectangular "long-life cartons" fruit juice (such as Bon makes) and milk that does not need to be refrigerated (such as the Parmalat brand, and I think Rica has started using them). They are a composite material, made of aluminum, plastic and paperboard.

If you had checked the photos in the link I posted, the PET bottles part at least would have been obvious! ;)

policias-carbono%20125%7E0%7E0.jpg

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
thank you Bob K

What about tank size? We aer a family of 3 but I have an Upper Levvel and can be up to 10 People in the house. The 200 Liter tank on the Protech one attracted me. Are you using 60 liter tank ?

Joe

We are using the larger tank. PM me if you want info on who we used to install the unit. It was a first rate job.

BobK