Lionfish

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
By DAVID McFADDEN
Associated Press Writer

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- A maroon-striped marauder with venomous spikes is rapidly multiplying in the Caribbean's warm waters, swallowing native species, stinging divers and generally wreaking havoc on an ecologically delicate region.

MERGED INTO EXISTING THREAD AND EDITED BY ENVIRONMENT FORUM MODERATOR FOR FOLLOWING REASONS:

1. Do NOT start a separate thread on the exact same subject as an existing thread

2. NEVER quote an entire copyrighted article -- just the title and author, an opening paragraph or two, and then include the link for people to read the full story. Yes, folks, I've said it before and will repeat it until we all get it, DR1 can get into copyright trouble if you do not follow commonly accepted "fair use" practice.

3. The article quoted is exactly the same as the one provided in the first post of this thread, therefore quite redundant.

-- Keith R
Environment Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Bad Boy

This bad boy is all over the Caribbean Islands.. Watch out:tired:

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
It's not as bad as the "Blown up Condom fish" scattered and floating in the ocean all along the Punta cana shores and reefs..really sad that is!

we thought they were jellyfish at first!! but nope!!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Frommy experience, you would not encounter a lionfish wading on sandy bottom as they tend to hang out on reef or other structure. Stingrays and skates, especially in late spring during mating season, would be your primary threat, even though they are not venomous.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Frommy experience, you would not encounter a lionfish wading on sandy bottom as they tend to hang out on reef or other structure. Stingrays and skates, especially in late spring during mating season, would be your primary threat, even though they are not venomous.

My concern is not about threat to me, but to environment, wild life, fish stock. I am a die hard environmentalist, after each storm I clean our local small public beach for hours, removing trash. People look at me like carazy. Nobody moves butt to clean garbage around him/her. They call themselves "civilized". For this reason I hate tourists so much. A very ugly human breed.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
My concern is not about threat to me, but to environment, wild life, fish stock. I am a die hard environmentalist, after each storm I clean our local small public beach for hours, removing trash. People look at me like carazy. Nobody moves butt to clean garbage around him/her. They call themselves "civilized". For this reason I hate tourists so much. A very ugly human breed.

Hate is a strong word...and make sure you dont "group" all tourists in the same category...we are not all the same!!:eek:gre: