Getting my residency/passport, is it even possible?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I lived in the DR for 2 years, in that time I went back to my country for 2 months. But I just stayed there on my tourist visa. Im married with a Dominican guy for almost 2 years now and since a couple of months we are living together in Europe.

Now, I havent done any research about this, so maybe Im asking stupid questions, but I heard its fairly easy to get a Dominican passport if you are married to a Dominican guy. Is this true?

Then my questions about it:
- Do I have to live in the DR to get a Dominican passport (or recidency)?
- What are the advantages of getting a DR passport when im not actually living in the country (except not having to pay the tourist tax :cheeky:)?
- What are the disadvantages?
- What do you have to do exactly? and how much does it cost?

Right now, Im not thinking about getting a DR passport, but I just wanna know my options. In the next couple of years I have no intention to move back to the DR, but in the far far far future its a possibility.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I lived in the DR for 2 years, in that time I went back to my country for 2 months. But I just stayed there on my tourist visa. Im married with a Dominican guy for almost 2 years now and since a couple of months we are living together in Europe.

Now, I havent done any research about this, so maybe Im asking stupid questions, but I heard its fairly easy to get a Dominican passport if you are married to a Dominican guy. Is this true?

Then my questions about it:
- Do I have to live in the DR to get a Dominican passport (or recidency)?
- What are the advantages of getting a DR passport when im not actually living in the country (except not having to pay the tourist tax :cheeky:)?
- What are the disadvantages?
- What do you have to do exactly? and how much does it cost?

Right now, Im not thinking about getting a DR passport, but I just wanna know my options. In the next couple of years I have no intention to move back to the DR, but in the far far far future its a possibility.

Yes, once you married a Dominican citizen (male only), you are then able to become a citizen too! It's a simple process that is best served via a competent lawyer to do the actual paperwork for you...

The benefits are plenty and the disadvantages none (yet).

Contact one of the lawyers here aiding in many posts in DR1 or just get one recommended in the DR when you visit next.

You can also do it yourself but a lawyer is best to move the paperwork faster and all you need to do is sign the papers.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Okay, thanx for the info :)

I guess the first thing i should have to find out is if I can get a 2nd nationality without losing my current one :cheeky:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Okay, thanx for the info :)

I guess the first thing i should have to find out is if I can get a 2nd nationality without losing my current one :cheeky:

What is your nationality? if you are a British citizen you won't loose your british citizenship.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
between us and dr dual nationalities are not an issue, also you are supposed to be residing here for residency but you do not need to, it takes awhile, i went with guzman, and it cost 1kus for provisional and 800us for permanent, process has been quite long. you dont need to use an attorney but it makes the process easier particularly if your spanish is not up to par.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Im Dutch (the netherlands). I know that some people that move here can get double nationality (not all), but I dont know the rules about Dutch people getting another nationality, but I can find this out. I dont care if its a long process (im not in a hurry) since im not gonna live there in the next couple of years anyway. Just dont want it to be an expensive processe

In 2 weeks im gonna visit the DR for about 5 weeks, so I will make a visit to a lawyer too, see what he has to say and whats it gonna cost.

Thanx for the help