Biggest transit accident in DR history - 20+ dead

Feb 7, 2007
At around 8 am today one of the biggest transit accidents in the history of the DR happened on km 35 between La Romana and Higuey, in the area called "La Represa".

Al menos veinte muertos en un accidente en Higüey - DiarioLibre.com

Al least twenty people died and an indetermined number resulted wounded as a result of an accident between two buses, one full of tourists, in the Heredia community, next to the dam near La Romana.

The authorities of the Public Health, ambulances of the ex-senator for Hig?ey, Amiable Aristy Castro, were dispatched to the scene to assist the wounded.

Reports from the place indicates that there is scattered bodies without heads, arms, and other body parts. Several of the deceased are tourists.

Several victims were catched in the wreckage of the buses.

The director od Metropolitan Transit Authority (AMET), brigadier general Miguel Mahfoud Rodriguez, described the accident as ?terrible?.

?Until now we have confirmed more or less twenty deaths?, said in the morning radio program.

He explained that one bus of SIPROCHOLA that went to San Pedro de Macor?s coming from Hig?ey hit otherone than was on a way to Bavaro, full of tourists.

He said that at present an operative to rescue the wounded is "gigantic".

He added that the transit on that route is interrupted and the traffic jam has been created in the area.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
this is TERRIBLE news! and i drive that route often when i go visit DR!
PLEASE EVERYONE, if you must drive please do so carefully! This is a terrible accident and my heart goes out to all those who have suffered.
I depart to DR soon and will say my prayers as well when I am on the road

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
This is awful and I pray that the fatalities and wounded are not as bad as I fear they may be.
Please keep us posted........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We've been listening to the coverage on the radio on 101.5. Really, really bad. :(

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
one bus was coming from Bavaro [this one full of tourists]
the other was a Yola? regular guagua [the radio said Yola] going to San Pedro de Macoris?
and a third vehicle was also involved they are trying to identify....
i'll see what else I can hear [Cadena De Noticias - CDN]

laromana50

Aug 15, 2008
tourists where from italy. a car was standing/parking near a turn. the one bus driver tried to avoid a frontal crash by steering to the left, unfortunatly hit the bus that came from the other direction that moment...

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The news say the death toll is up to 25. A bus full of tourists coming from Bavaro collided head on with a "voladora" or transport bus coming from La Romana, another vehicle, a private double-cabin truck (camioneta) driving behind the bus crashed and the driver is presumed dead. Traffic there is total chaos with delays of up to two hours; according to the news body parts strewn everywhere. This is a sad day for our country.

I was supposed to travel to Bavaro early today for the weekend to attend the Latin Music Tour and canceled due to personal reasons, I'm so glad I did not only for this accident, which I could've been caught if not in it at least in the traffic jam, but also the coming storm. Too many things happening on the eve of the presidential inauguration.

May 12, 2005
Wow, that is bad news. Driving is not easy in DR. I'm surprised that more accidents like this haven't happened before.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If it's true about a vehicle parked on the road in a curve, the driver should be put away for 30 years. I've seen people do that so many times it was bound to happen. Sorry for the victims families.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
How terribly tragic, such a huge loss of life in seconds. My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved one's of those invloved. Watching the video is horrifying.

Feb 7, 2007
Another accident involving tourist transport bus happened later this morning on Higuey-Bavaro route, 6 seriously injured, nobody died, injured translated to Higuey hospitals

Another accident involving Metro bus happened in Cibao area, not known casualties/injured or whether it was a touristy or public transport bus.

Feb 7, 2007
If it's true about a vehicle parked on the road in a curve, the driver should be put away for 30 years. I've seen people do that so many times it was bound to happen. Sorry for the victims families.

As per on-scene reports, the driver of parked Diahatsu truck ltook off after he saw what his actions caused. Apparently nobody has noted the plate number so he may get away with this.