Hotels in Jimani and Duverge

laurla2011

Aug 15, 2008
I'm doing a research project that requires that I spend 2 nights in Duverge and 1 in Jimani, but I cannot find any information on hotels in either town online, nor does my guidebook have anything helpful. I am a woman travelling alone, so I would really prefer to have some place lined up ahead of time, especially since I might be arriving in Duverge in the evening. I posted this request in "Travel Questions" as well, since these towns seem to fall more on the outskirts of the South West region, as far as posting goes ... but hope someone can provide me with some much needed advice!

Thank you!

Feb 7, 2007
There is nothing decent in Jimani. The nearest so-so hotel is in Neyba about 30 kms away and costs around RD$800 per night.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
There is nothing decent in Jimani. The nearest so-so hotel is in Neyba about 30 kms away and costs around RD$800 per night.

While I think Rubio Higuey's is the best suggestion, also think about staying in Barahona, probably an hour away from Duverge but more choices, safer and great night life, if you're interested.

I have eaten several times at the hotel in Neyba and it seems clean and safe, I have seen the rooms (if he's talking about the one right across from the park) and they are nice and clean but don't have the number.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know the hotel's name, but it's in the center of the town. Ask for it and you will find it. It's a huge 2-stories building.

About 1 block uphill from the hotel on the left side of the road, there is a small cafe-bar, owner is the local banreservas director, they have good quick dinners, very good club sandwich and French fries. If the owner is in, he will gladly talk to you about the region, as he is also member of the local tourist board. So ask and your questions will be answered.

robbeau01

Aug 26, 2008
Duverge hotels

There are actually two, one abmissmal, the other worse. The bad one is a few blocks from the parque principal, the worse one is right there across from the park. For the most part I felt completely safe in Duverge, but I'm a big guy, not a single woman traveling alone. Still, I think all in all 'el campo' as the countryside is called is pretty quiet compared to Santo Domingo. Better speak pretty good Spanish as I think you would be hard-pressed to fine many people speaking English in that part of the country. I think Jimani does have a larger Hotel but I'm not sure. Most of these places are really roughing it and are intended for Dominicans who are used to not having luxuries. No A/C, hot water, toilet lids, just small rooms with a ceiling fan (when the electricity is working). It's certainly an adventure...have fun! I did!

blmartin5

Sep 2, 2008
Not much there

I have been to Jimani on two separate occasions. There is a hotel in JImani simply called the Jimani Hotel. It right near the heart of the town area. The accomidations are not that great but it seems to be safe. I stayed there on our first visit for 5 days. They have air conditioning and TV's. they did not have hot water when i was there. It is not bad but it is not great either. As far as Duverge, I have no clue. I will be in Jimani in November but I will be staying at the new Hospital/Clinic built by some missionaries. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
In Jimani I stayed once at a very basic, but also very cheap, hotel, right at the corner of the road leading to the border and the road leading up to the bus-station and market - across from one of the two colmados on the main road - one block from the town square - as I said, very basic, a bed, a ceiling fan, toilet in the back garden - I think there was a shower, although I washed using water from a bucket -but hey, you get used to than.

In Neyba there are two hotels, one is a mostrum of a two story building at the corner of the main town square, painted in yellow and green, the other is in the centre of the block of the town square on the northern side - small one level (if I recall, clean rooms, friendly, has its own restaurant (not many other places to eat), la patrona makes a great local soup with meat, potatoes, sweet potatoes, platans, cilandro (coriander). Not much to do in Neyba, but try the locally grown grapes, lots of tannin, and producing the local wine - didn;t try it though, but I have heard both good and bad about it.

CLAUDIOMP

Apr 13, 2009
Hotel Jimani

Curious what type of research project you are doing? There is not much in Jimani its a very poor area with not much to offer to those who are not from their. Traveled there in February with my husbands family both duverge and Jimani. Many years ago their late mother was the Governor of Jimani and Duverge. You will see poverty beyond understanding. Hotel Jimani is the only "hotel" in town. There are several motel type places that people have made out of their houses, (you dont want to stay there). We stayed at Hotel Jimani, I have pictures!!... It was quite an experiance.. We were fortunate to have air conditioning although it did fall apart during the night, they do have bathrooms and showers in the rooms, although the shower handle came off in my hands. The pool was out of order and the water was green. With that said its the safest place to stay in Jimani. I would be very careful traveling to those areas by yourself. Not a safe place to arrive at night either Duverge or Jimani. If I was you I would hire a guide or, "body guard". Oh no "hotels" in Duverge only motel type deals. Good luck and be safe.