I feel like moving..

Gman17

Aug 15, 2008
Well as the title saids I feel like moving to Dominican Republic. Am 19 years old. Working on my Computer technician, with A+ certification. After I finish my courses, my plan is going to Dominican Republic. I already have family over there and all, Also my Parents already have a home located in Tenares. Also I also know a friend of the family who owns a small business and saids he need a computer technician. I would give me a hand in the job.

I would take DR over NYC anyday, It just that new york city I have gotten tired of, and It depressing out here at times. I might look for a change.

But also I am worried that if I choose to move, That I would make a bad choice.

What are your thoughts???

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
try it for 6 month

save up some money and try it for 6 months, then make your final decision that way you don;t have to worry so much

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
You're 19... have family in DR... a job from day #1... not too much at risk. If things go well for you, woohoo! If it's not your cup of tea, you'll be back in the U.S. at 20, 21 years old and still have time to do anything you want to with your life there.

Also, listen to your family. They probably have an idea what's best for you - even if you can't quite see it for yourself.

S

sokitoumi

why are you asking strangers if you have family and friends to ask

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
why are you asking strangers if you have family and friends to ask

Its often easier to ask strangers certain questions as they are less involved and therefore one can hope to gain a more unbiased opinion and also you will not upset anyone when you do not take the advice which is offered.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well as the title saids I feel like moving to Dominican Republic. Am 19 years old. Working on my Computer technician, with A+ certification. After I finish my courses, my plan is going to Dominican Republic. I already have family over there and all, Also my Parents already have a home located in Tenares. Also I also know a friend of the family who owns a small business and saids he need a computer technician. I would give me a hand in the job.

I would take DR over NYC anyday, It just that new york city I have gotten tired of, and It depressing out here at times. I might look for a change.

I agree with the other posters that it's worth giving it a try.
You'll make less money here as an employee, that is for sure.
But money isn't everything, and you could work yourself up to having your own biz one day.
I say go for it.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

You're 19 and... tired??? Gawd, when did it start? Any hernias yet? :cheeky:
I remember being 19 and seeing greener grass EVERYWHERE but where I was... you know why? It's not tiredness it's the lack of maturity and a too easy life in developed countries, taking too much for granted.

You want to see 19 year old really tired? You come over here and see all them kids digging, working the streets under the sun, tying to sell some "stuff" on cities' mayor intersections and so forth and making, well let's say "a little less" than what you are making in the US working in an air conditioned office 40 hrs a week, when you're not on paid vacation.

Oh yes, you are a computer technician... let me see, you could assemble computers in one of the many shops around here... how much do you think these kids make here? How many hours do you think they log in each day, each 6-day week? Believe me, they can give you a true definition of feeling tired too.
Or have you saved enough money already so you could start your own little outfit? You want to compete in this already somewhat saturated market, fight the customs (for your elements) and so forth?

You want to make your dream come true without it becoming a nightmare and without the almost certain outlook of having to crawl back to where ever you came from in a year or so, bearing a big VOID in your curriculum? Work your tail off in the US, keep your spending low and SAFE the money and maybe in 10 to 20 years, you will be able to retire here or elsewhere and you may also have experienced what feeling tired really means.

... J-D.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My son-in-law is 18 and has just finished high school here in Canada and had the choice of going back to the DR for university. He chose here. When I asked him why because even though his English is very good he prefers talking in Spanish, his answer was: The skills and qualifications I learn here are more transferable and when I am more mature and have a little better idea of what I wish to do then I'll decide to either stay in Canada or move elsewhere. He also has family in business in the DR ( Jarabacoa, San Franciso de Marcoris, SD) but he is currently able to put money in the bank so he'll be prepared for that move when he makes it. I'm not discouraging you but have a plan B in place. Adaptability is one of the best attributes you can develop but being prepared if you fail at plan A takes some forethought the ability to be honest with yourself.

Colombiana

Jun 27, 2008
Please don't make any hasty moves. If the political and economic situations in DR are anything like the ones in Colombia, I'd say stick it out and build your future in the US. I was born here (in Maryland), but I don't totally feel that this is where I wish to spend my productive years. Places like the DR thoroughly fascinate me and I will someday visit.
For now, try to obtain a degree of sorts or even a highly marketable skill. You and I are both young and must take advantage of our youth or we will both end up like many in my own family who work too much and have very little to showfor it.
I'm two weeks short of my 18th birthday and will be entering college in september. I know it'll be a very hard for the next four to five years but when I'm done I'll be able to steer my life my way instead of allowing circumstances to do it for me.
Stay in NYC and fight to get a good education. You can only get out of life what you put into it. Excuse me for butting in. I'm telling you what I've learned from my father. I wish you well.