Reputation System

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I can't keep my yap shut any longer, the 'Reputation System' on this board is nothing more than a butt kissing popularity contest run by the mutual admiration society!

What a joke!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Don't know how long this thread will stay open but for what it is worth.........

I do know what you are saying and I understand your frustrations.
I do wish more people would get involved in the system though - I try and give out points to "posts" that I like and agree with - and not "posters". If we all did this it would make for a fairer system.
I do dislike the negative points - I don't get that. If a post is abusive or out of line it should be reported and moderated.But who are we to take points away when a lot of times it is because either through a lack of understanding or sense of humour we just don't "get" a post.
My 2 pesos worth.......

Rio

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Don't know how long this thread will stay open but for what it is worth.........

I do know what you are saying and I understand your frustrations.
I do wish more people would get involved in the system though - I try and give out points to "posts" that I like and agree with - and not "posters". If we all did this it would make for a fairer system.
I do dislike the negative points - I don't get that. If a post is abusive or out of line it should be reported and moderated.But who are we to take points away when a lot of times it is because either through a lack of understanding or sense of humour we just don't "get" a post.
My 2 pesos worth.......

Rio

rio, I'm not at all frustrated, I personally couldn't care less where myself or anyone else on this board is ranked. As I said the system is a joke.

As for this post being deleted, If it is, I'll simply think far less of the owners and mods of this board for not being able to take a little constructive criticism

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
......... As I said the system is a joke.

As for this post being deleted, If it is, I'll simply think far less of the owners and mods of this board for not being able to take a little constructive criticism

If the original post was CONSTRUCTICE criticism CyaBye I really AM looking forward to you getting a bit upset &/or posting some DESTRUCTIVE criticism;) :cheeky: :surprised

Sorry Rio, I don't buy your argument. People whom I respect on this board KNOW IT from my responses to them & the people I DON'T respect know it too. What people think of me is up to them & I will not alter my style of communicating on this board to please (or displease) someone.

Personally I dislike any form of censorship as I feel most of us are mature enough to see off any idiots who try to ruin the board by inane comments. Certainly that is the case where we act as a UNIFIED GROUP. Race, Religion, Slander, Personal attacks could be monitored & reprimands made to any such poster, but the post should remain so that others can view the feelings of the GROUP as a WHOLE & then work within the confines of what this GROUP thinks is acceptable. One persons censorship can lead to confusion & certainly will cause annoyance & distain when favouritism is shown.

SELF censorship by the GROUP as a whole is (in my opinion) far more fair & long lasting than the system sometimes employed here!! As has been argued by someone regularly ...... "too much power by the Gubmint causes loss of involvement by the masses & it is the masses that need to rule to get cohesion & an agreed/unified Movement foreward". (OK, he didn't use those words but I THINK that is what he meant!!).:bunny::bunny: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
When it came out (the reputations system) I thought that soon it would blow up in red square battles... apparently I seem to have been wrong.

As for me, I decided to make it my policy not to hand out red ones. I post positive or nothing at all. Life is too good here to get into pushing buttons and if I find a post stupid, it's usually about something I have little interest in or by people who haven't gotten too many positive points anyway, so I can trust that even without my involvement, readers will be mature enough to decide for themselves who the trust and whom not.
Incidentally, If you look at the posts by the vast majority of those who are in the green, they seem quite reliably and without pushing too much of an own agenda. So, miraculously, it somehow seems to work.

Yet, I must admit, that I have been blessed with lot's of positive comments, many even from people I have never met, even for stuff I wrote without much purpose... so maybe it's not so much a butt kissing contest after all... but results may vary, I'm sure.

... J-D.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
.....Sorry Rio, I don't buy your argument. People whom I respect on this board KNOW IT from my responses to them & the people I DON'T respect know it too. What people think of me is up to them & I will not alter my style of communicating on this board to please (or displease) someone.......
Grahame.

Hi BB,
I am not sure what it is that we are disagreeing with each other about... :ermm:

I am in agreement with what both you and JD have written. Like JD I do not give out negative points - an opinion is an opinion after all, and we should all be free to air them. My beef is with people who use the system to "get at" people - and there are some that do this and therefore abuse the system.

Rio

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Perhaps this could be the subject of a Nal's poll to see what the consensus is about having or not having the point system.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
SELF censorship by the GROUP as a whole is (in my opinion) far more fair & long lasting than the system sometimes employed here!! As has been argued by someone regularly ...... "too much power by the Gubmint causes loss of involvement by the masses & it is the masses that need to rule to get cohesion & an agreed/unified Movement foreward". (OK, he didn't use those words but I THINK that is what he meant!!).:bunny::bunny: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.
Why do folks care of the get nothing but red squares? If you're true to yourself, I don't understand why folks would even care about any "reputation" system.

Like any centrally planned structure (gubmint or NGO like DR1), there will always be folks abusing it for personal reasons.

If folks don't like the "system" why not opt out of it and not look at your "rep points"? Voting with your (virtual) feet is the best form of feedback.

That said, I'm not particularly crazy about "censorship" when administered unevenly.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Purely the 'More People Getting Involved' bit Rio. I don't give points, I don't deduct points, I don't get involved with the points system. I think I have visited my 'Reputation' section only TWICE since it started & one of those was because I was told I HAD to see what someone had written. I laughed so loud & long that tears were rolling down my face & the dogs thought I had 'Lost It'!!

When I look at the posts by some of the people who have LOTS of yellow/green squares & then equate those against the quality of content of some people who have LESS yellow/green suares, I realise there is quite a level of inequality in the way the system is operated - hence I don't even TRY to get involved. ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Perhaps this could be the subject of a Nal's poll to see what the consensus is about having or not having the point system.

Ye GODS Rocky ............. Not THAT PLEASE!!!!!! Do you think any of us would be able to undestand the question in the poll? :paranoid: Haven't we got enough ambiguity going around already?? :cheeky: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Purely the 'More People Getting Involved' bit Rio. I don't give points, I don't deduct points, I don't get involved with the points system. I think I have visited my 'Reputation' section only TWICE since it started & one of those was because I was told I HAD to see what someone had written. I laughed so loud & long that tears were rolling down my face & the dogs thought I had 'Lost It'!!

When I look at the posts by some of the people who have LOTS of yellow/green squares & then equate those against the quality of content of some people who have LESS yellow/green suares, I realise there is quite a level of inequality in the way the system is operated - hence I don't even TRY to get involved. ~ Grahame.

Oh I see, I had forgotten I wrote that bit...... long day at work, start of the Football Premiership!!

I am lucky (?) in that I do get a lot of positive feedback and I do check to see who and why - by and large it is for posts that I have taken a lot of time to think through and decide what I want to put "tactfully".......

I also agree that those people who do have a lot of "yellow and greens" are the ones who tend to answer a wide variety of posts and show a good degree of knowledge and again tact.

The awarding of reds has definitely been an issue - and I take on board cobraboys point about disregarding but it has been unfair to a couple of posters at least - but I understand that this is being rectified.

Rio

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I got about 100 negs from just three well known on this forum members. So what? I am still alive. And never paid back with the same cheap money. For me one "Thank you!" from a guy/gal for a honest useful advice is more important that tons of this stuff. I cannot care less.

Aug 21, 2007
I got about 100 negs from just three well known on this forum members. So what? I am still alive. And never paid back with the same cheap money. For me one "Thank you!" from a guy/gal for a honest useful advice is more important that tons of this stuff. I cannot care less.

AK74, who knew? You are a man of honor!

Lindsey

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
AK74, who knew? You are a man of honor!

Lindsey

We just can be of very different cultural, family and ideologic backgrounds. For me, it is true , a person speaking up his mind openly without fear and second thought - is a person of honor, who does not play dirty games behind the back.

You may be of a very different opinion or belief - it is your perfect right. It is called "freedom of conscience".

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
We just can be of very different cultural, family and ideologic backgrounds. For me, it is true , a person speaking up his mind openly without fear and second thought - is a person of honor, who does not play dirty games behind the back.

You may be of a very different opinion or belief - it is your perfect right. It is called "freedom of conscience".

Well put and very true. the problem is people use their own agendas against others and the hide behind the "freedom of conscience"

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I can't keep my yap shut any longer, the 'Reputation System' on this board is nothing more than a butt kissing popularity contest run by the mutual admiration society!

What a joke!
Ya big whiner, I think I'm going to give you a BUNCH of negative points:cheeky::cheeky:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ya big whiner, I think I'm going to give you a BUNCH of negative points:cheeky::cheeky:
Give him a break.
He didn't whine about it like some others did when they started their own threads complaining about getting bad rep points and then post in this thread, all innocent like.

Joe didn't complain about getting neg points.
He just stated that he feels the system ain't fair.
At least he's honest about his feelings.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Give him a break.
He didn't whine about it like some others did when they started their own threads complaining about getting bad rep points and then post in this thread, all innocent like.

LOL, I'm sure Tom didn't mean it that way. You know how I know that? We live in the same town and I could easily hunt him down. :surprised

The truth is I've never used the system at all. As a matter of fact I've never looked at who has given me negative or positive points until AFTER I started this tread.

To illustrate my point I only had one red square. It was from a poster who had posted fewer than 100 posts. I was given the red square for something I had posted in the clown bin. I was clowning around in a thread named ?The Name Game." I encourage everyone to read the thread and let me know if they find anything inappropriate of offensive. After all, IT IS THE CLOWN BIN for god sakes!

But what I have noticed is that some newer members with not many posts have numerous squares. Members that IMHO clearly have not earned them.

I didn't start this thread out of jealousy. I started it because it has very little merit, and should either be fixed or scraped.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Give him a break.

Joe know's I'm just giving him some shyt. He's in my top 10 favorite DR1ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.