Diesel Mechanic Needed

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
I have a new 14KW generator with a Perkin Diesel engine and need a reliable mechanic in the Sosua/Cabarete area to provide routine service (oil changes, check coolant, adjust tuning etc.). The machine has less than 300 hours of operation on it and is running perfectly.

For the curious (and to save time), let me say right up front that I have reasons why I will not go to the dealer I purchased from for service. Any suggestions posted or by PM will be greatly appreciated.

M.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Routine service will be about 2 gallons of good oil, and an oil filter.
Check your coolant, air filter and fuel filter. Depending on their condition, add, or change.

It is not difficult, but can be messy if you do not prepare the area properly to recover the used oil. Generally speaking 300-350 hours is about it for a small engine like the Perkins.

Do this your self. However, you should know that the company that sells this brand has a one year guarantee on in......

I took care of mine for a couple of years...

HB

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
That is good and reasonable advice, HB. Thanks. But I still would like to have someone checking the machine who could tell if something was not just right (idle level, fuel injectors, alterator, whatever) and that person is not me (until I recently purchased a car to use down here, I hadn't owned one for 20 years)!

My machine has a two year warranty which - like all such - has many caveats, so like a new car, I'd like a competant mechanic to look and listen to it every few months just to be sure that all is ship shape. I thank you again and hope nevertheless that others may be able to contribute a good name or two.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where are you located? there are guys here in Santiago that go up that way on a routine basis, and they can take a look for you...They have lots of experience with that engine since it is the same one used on many of the cell towers...You can PM me this information...

HB

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Where are you located? there are guys here in Santiago that go up that way on a routine basis, and they can take a look for you...They have lots of experience with that engine since it is the same one used on many of the cell towers...You can PM me this information...

HB

Thanks very much. I have sent you a PM.

Marc

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and mostly the warranty expires the moment somebody else than the certified dealer does the maintenance or changes parts.
just wanna to add that.
i would myself never rely on any warranty by a dominican dealer of any kind of product and of cours ei change my filters/oils and coolants myself, even when the engine is new.
good luck
Mike

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Thanks

Just want to say thanks to Mike Fisher, and especially to Hillbilly for trying to lend a hand. I have located an outfit here in Cabarete called Servi-Planta Cabrera that looks like it can fill the bill. Richard Cabrera is the owner and he demonstrated good knowledge and skill in helping to solve some problems with my automatic transfer switch, and noise reduction measures. I'll try to remember to post a review after I've had more experience with the company.

Thanks again.
Marc