Hypochondria, a Dominican phenomenon?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Most of the Dominicans I know are true hypochondriacs. Almost every day I hear complaints of pain or aches in various parts of their bodies.

Or is it hypochondriasis? Maybe it's Munchausen's syndrome, the faking of an illness to gain attention by doctors.

I also find it odd that they follow with blind faith, anything a person in a white coat and a stethoscope round their neck says. And it's these people I blame for this condition. If someone walks into a doctor's clinic with a common cold or "gripe" they will be sold a barrage of tests and antibiotics. Especially those with insurance. Do they not know that without medication, the average cold lasts a week and with medication it lasts for seven days?

A Dominican friend of mine even had an endoscopy after complaining of a stomach ache! A lot of them that I know also suffer from anaemia, parasites and "la pression" (whatever that is?) They are taking cocktails of medications for ailments or prevention of them. However, in my experience of travelling, Dominicans appear to be the healthiest nation of people I have met. They eat well, exercise and are immaculately clean and hygienic.

The medical system has a firm grasp of this country and has established a self perpetuating industry. A lot of doctors are now disgruntled with the fact that they are overworked and underpaid and keep threatening industrial action. Well they made this bed, they must now lie in it.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I have been fighting against this in my own house!!! My husband is dominican and is OBSESSED with what a doctor says. We have yet to find a pediatrician for our 1 yearold son because most we've seen are a little nuts -- some have told me I need to stop breastfeeding because "it's too long" and that we're crazy for using cloth diapers because they're "bad for the baby." and don't even get me started on the crazy amount of immunizations they want me to give him - 75% of which are super expensive and not on the list of those the government gives for free.

of course, I leave, check out everything with my ped. at home who assures me the doctors are mostly wrong (i don't want to say they never have good advice or know what's going on). but my husband starts trying to get us to vaccinate, throw away the cloth and buy a big barrel of milk!

and that's just with our son. my brother in law spent 10 hours in emergency the other week because he had a fever of 102 F!!! But then of course he went to work the next day until he was so sick that he really did need to be in the clinic.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
whuepaah

Dominicans, especially Dominicanas, have a temperature comfort tolerance of +/- 0.462 degrees Celsius... So what do you think is the tolerance for minor pain? :D

Besides what you are saying about doctor's advice and especially the indiscriminate misuse of medications being right on, what did you expect in a country where you can get 500mg Ampiciline caps, one by one in your neighborhood Colmado?

"Aiiii, me duele un chin la garganta, tu tiene algo?",
"Si, mi amol... plueba eto, que se lo doy siempre a mi suegra cuando se pone jodona (the antibiotic... ONE pill!)".
"A'po'ta'vien-entonce! Boy a plobal una. A como son?"
"De a vente".
"Cooonooo a q u i n z e ?!
"Noo... tiguera, a VENTE!"
"Y no hay medias?"

"No, pero se te la acomoda, si compras algo mas!"
"Dame pa vente de aloz entonce!... Y una flia pa bajalme eto, ven!"
"Ai si! Ahora ya me siento mejol! 'Ta bueeeno eto! Whuepaah! Suba la musica!"

:D ... J-D.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have seen Dominicans go around showing their prescriptions to folks, to show them how many things were prescribed to them, with some weird type of pride.
Like,
"Hey.. Check this out... Look how sick I am... The doc had to prescribe me 4 different drugs"
They might go half a day before actually going to fill out the script and get the "needed" medication, as it appears that it is more important to let others know how sick they are, than to actually do something about it.
It boggles the mind.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Teacher - my commiserations. Keep up the good fight!

I'd say more than a phenomenon - how about a national sport? ;) I know several people for whom going to the doctor is like the ultimate fun day out. Not to mention the obsession with 'el sereno' (the deadly dew) and 'la gripe' (anything from a mild sniffle or throat tickle to full-blown pneumonia).

La presi?n = blood pressure. Usually high.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
because "it's too long" and that we're crazy for using cloth diapers because they're "bad for the baby." and don't even get me started on the crazy amount of immunizations they want me to give him - 75% of which are super expensive and not on the list of those the government gives for free.

Well not saying cloth diapers are bad for the baby, but you sound a little cookoo if you ask me using cloth diapers in this day an age...I know I know...it's the environment or some other reason, but to a Dominican it is hard to understand why you'd use cloth diapers if there's no need.

Also regarding immunizations you may not be doing yourself a favor by checking with your ped back home as he/she may not know what's needed in The DR (which of course is different from what's needed wherever you come from).

I don't blindly trust what the doctor tells me (and I'm Dominican) not even here in The US, but they do tend to know more than you and I as they went to school for all those years for a reason...

Man I'm already feeling sick of hearing all this Dominican bashing this early in the morning. I better make an appointment to see the doctor...:cheeky:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Man I'm already feeling sick of hearing all this Dominican bashing this early in the morning. I better make an appointment to see the doctor...:cheeky:
I was hoping that nobody would perceive it as Dominican bashing.
For my part, it was not intended that way.
Simply seeing the humour in it.
PS: Canadians do even weirder things.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Suarezn, it is meant fondly, and Dominicans themselves are the first to acknowledge this trait.
But in response to Teacher's post - what kind of doctor tells a mother that she has been breastfeeding for "too long", or can't understand why someone would choose cloth diapers over disposables?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I know you guys don't mean any harm...my comment about Dominican bashing and having to go to the doctor was tongue in cheek...

I have to say though (Maybe because I'm looking at it from a Dominican's perspective) I have found the opposite, where my family down there won't go to the doctor it seems until they are just about dying whereas my US family (In-laws) are taking like a gazillion pills for this and that.

Some things like the "The Dew thing" are just believes that are had to break. Not different than people here in The US thinking that if you go into the cold weather without a jacket you'll get a cold...

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
my dominican boyfriend got 2 pins in his finger from an operation. the pin near the end of his finger was not coverded by the bandage so it was open to everything. and I told him he should cover it up like the other pin or it would get infected he said the doctor said no it was not necessary, just make sure you don't have sex until you come back for a check up!!! Wellll he had sex becasue i told him that was ridiculous! and guess what the open pin got an infection!! Doctor asks "did you have sex?" and the infection was blamed on that and me....lol

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
my dominican boyfriend got 2 pins in his finger from an operation. the pin near the end of his finger was not coverded by the bandage so it was open to everything. and I told him he should cover it up like the other pin or it would get infected he said the doctor said no it was not necessary, just make sure you don't have sex until you come back for a check up!!! Wellll he had sex becasue i told him that was ridiculous! and guess what the open pin got an infection!! Doctor asks "did you have sex?" and the infection was blamed on that and me....lol
icim3r-3.gif
icim3r-3.gif
icim3r-3.gif
icim3r-3.gif

And the moral of the story is,
Always get your boyfriend to cover up his "pin" before sex.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I am affraid i have to agree, Dominicans are in most cases hypocondriacs. I have heard soooo many times women complain of a headache and then proceed to go to the doctors for analysis. Also on the very rare occasion my daughter has a cold or is dealing with teething pain my housekeeper wants to pump her full of 5 different types of medicine, even when she is not sick most of the women in the family (my husband has 12 sisters) are always advising me to either give her sedatives or vitamins etc. She is a well behaved baby, but they seem to think that giving them the same type of sedatives uses for epaleptics which can cause long term behavior problems is the key to a peaceful life!

I had a c-section and was up and about after 48 hours and got on with things, here my sister in law arranged for someone to look after her baby after a c-section for two weeks, 24 hours a day.

I do alos think doctors are not only extremley unconfident about diagnosing problems them selves, which is why no matter what problem anyone goes to the doctor with they ask for analysis, etc. I am quite sure that if you entered a emergency ward with your arm hanging off they would still order tests just to make sure the diagnosis was correct :cheeky:

Doctors and clinics also take advantage of the ignorance of dominicans also, one little girl was recently admitted into a clinic for 4 days when she complained of blood in her mouth, they pumped her full of drugs of which the mother never questioned and it turned out after i insisted she visited a dentist that she had a bad case of gingivitis due to bad oral hygeine, which can be treated quite simply with a dose of antibiotics to treat the infection and a thorough cleaning at the dentists. The clinic bill was 10,000 pesos for a easily identifiable and treatable problem.

They think i am crazy when i go out in the rain, but then we have all no doubt noticed that dominicans think they are made of sugar ;)

Of course this isn't a Dominican bashing a quite frankly this is a forum about the Dominican Republic and we cant keep having this phrase thrown about just because we maybe discussing a negative or controversial point. ;)

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
hello folks!
i was laughing so much today when i read this thread :laugh:
one of my maids got extreme stomach aches; immediately they did check the stomach including taking a biopsy.... etc.... Charging her huge amount of money (8,000 pesos) .... When her sister informed me about the results she told: " Luckily her sister doesn't have cancer, yet!!! It is a gastritis and she needs to change her eating habits....
Do they want to have serious sickness????
Well since this day, i don't ask anymore: How are you? They think, that i am nuts because i make teas when feeling not so good, have stomach ache, can not sleep...etc.. it really helps!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I do alos think doctors are not only extremley unconfident about diagnosing problems them selves, which is why no matter what problem anyone goes to the doctor with they ask for analysis, etc. I am quite sure that if you entered a emergency ward with your arm hanging off they would still order tests just to make sure the diagnosis was correct :cheeky:
Absolutely spot on.

I also notice that for many women pregnancy is treated as an illness. They tend remain as sedentary as possible. Why are they automatically allowed to the front of the bank queue and given special parking spaces when elderly people aren't?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Absolutely spot on.

I also notice that for many women pregnancy is treated as an illness. They tend remain as sedentary as possible. Why are they automatically allowed to the front of the bank queue and given special parking spaces when elderly people aren't?

Yes i agree, when was pregnant everyone said dont wait for someone to usher you to the front of a queue just walk straight to the front, but as much as sometimes i wanted to avoid the hour or so wait inline i just didn't have the nerve and was scared that someone would yell at me and make me go to the back lol. I can almost understand it for a seriously heavily pregnant woman but here evn if you are not even showing and just say you are pregnant they allow you to the front which is ridiculous, Oh dear have i just given all the women here an idea how to jump the queue!!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i had a ball when i was pregnant with all the things people told me! we live on the third floor, so i was told to try to minimize the stairs - like stay in my house all day because the stairs were equivalent to... oh, i don't know, a roller-coaster. can't go to the beach, shouldn't be in the sun, can't eat plantains, stay away from heavy things, don't bend at all... but then, oh then, i was told if i was "too lazy" the baby would be lazy too.

i've heard about the not having sex if you've got some sort of infection or sore and when i asked about it at the doctors (a family practice) i was told that it's not because of the infection it's because of the antibiotics. apparently if you have an ejaculation the antibiotics lose their potency. go figure. i love it.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Most of my Dominican friends are completely uneducated when it comes to medicine. By that, I mean that as a student athlete and an injury prone clutz I've spent mucho time in emergency rooms, doctors etc. And with every visit, somehow I learned something, such as antibiotics aren't meant to be taken for one day, or that cold and hot compresses are used for various strains etc. So when I am in a pharmacy in the DR,and people are buying one antibiotic pill at a time, I cringe. The pharmacists are partly to blame for doling out medicine that needs to be taken for multiple days, but on the same note, thank goodness for a system which allows me to purchase what I know I need without a prescription. Yes, Dominicans are hypocondriacs, but at least here we all can buy the medicine we want without visiting the 'doctor'.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When we were in England around 4 or 5 years ago we had a lady here looking after the kids. She had to rush the eldest son to Santo Domingo for a brain scan. He had a headache. I explained that he had been playing baseball for 2 days in the sun and was probably dehydrated and just give him lots of water. No Brain Scan it was. He also had a nose bleed. I said it was probably as he was one of the most active nosepickers i had ever seen and always had his finger up his nose. Nope. He had too much blood so he had to be sent somewhere to be bled. Can't remember the bill but it was horrendous!

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh dear have i just given all the women here an idea how to jump the queue!!

I parked at Tropical Supermarket, Puerto Plata, one day about 5 years ago in the parking lot opposite side of the street & went for a space near the entrance without noticing the stork sign. The attendant was magnificent, helped me across the street, most caring. BushBaby was given all sorts of non-verbal approval signs (clenched fish, forearm forward etc) on his next visit to Tropical. It took a while for the penny to drop for both of us...........I was 60 at the time & definitely NOT pregnant.

I actually don't find people here to be hypochondriacs. When we first arrived sick people just got on with life. There has been some change in this over the 16 years as people become more aware through television about the names of medications without knowing what they actually do. I think as society here transits to consumerism uninformed by education or knowledge there is bound to be a settling period. Culturally, one carrot is sold so why not one antibiotic? Yes we all know why, but set in a broader context it isn't hard to understand. Give it what, 10 or 20 years & everyone here will be on a health & natural products jaunt.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
]

I assume that's covered by Insurance..........or is the Airflight out of here?