Add for donation of clothes

S

stefanie

I am looking for some place ( mission, church, hosp etc) to ship clothes to in the DR. If you know of an address that I can send to please let me know. Mostly adult clothes, but some children. Also toys and books (english) I also have some old college books, in english that I could send. Thanx for your help. Please send email add or mailing add. To difficult to call the DR and track places down

S

Sarah

COPA (Community Partners)
Apartado 42
LaHoya, Barahona
Dominican Republic
809-223-0950

They have two schools/clinics just to the east of Barahona. One is in a Dominican village and one in a Haitian batey, serving about 1000 children and their families, sponsored by Methodist churches in the USA and UK. Headquarters are in Sarasota, FL and Gloucester, England. I'm sure they could use whatever clothes and toys you might be able to send, probably not the text books.

Do you realize how expensive this venture may be? Boxes have to be certain dimensions/weights, wrapped in a certain way, etc. Good luck. Email me if you need more info. ~Sarah :)

S

Sarah

Another organization that would take donations...

Another organization that would take donations...

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY INTERNATIONAL
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC CONTACT INFORMATION:

Mailing Address:
HFH Dominican Republic
Avenida Romulo Betancourt #53 Apt. C
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Phone Number:
809-537-2091

E-mail:
habiredom@codetel.net.do

<A HREF="http://www.habitat.org/intl/">http://www.habitat.org/intl/</A>

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

The Dominican Republic is crossed by four mountain ranges, creating a complex of mountains and valleys. The poor live in shacks made of local wood (now expensive and illegal because of deforestation laws), sheets of rusty tin and flattened tin cans. Most of these houses have at least two families living in them. Children cannot afford to leave home when they get married. It is not uncommon for grandparents, parents and children to sleep in the same room, sharing two or three large beds.

Habitat's work in the Dominican Republic is located in and around the city of Barahona on the southwestern coast, about two hours from the Haitian border. Southwest Dominican Republic is the poorest region of the country. There people scratch their living out of their meager belongings -- growing fruits or vegetables if they own a plot of land, selling ice if they own a refrigerator, working as taxi drivers if they own a motorscooter. For most of them, the dream of owning a secure home is as distant as the moon. Habitat houses are built of cement blocks and have poured concrete roofs -- built to withstand the hurricanes common to the area. The houses have three bedrooms and a latrine or, depending on the availability of sewers, an indoor bathroom.

COUNTRY FACTS AND FIGURES
Location: West Indies, about halfway between Cuba and Puerto Rico; shares island of Hispaniola with Haiti
Climate: tropical maritime; little seasonal or temperature variation
Population: 8,088,881
Economy: largely dependent on trade; agriculture is key sector of economy employing 49% of labor force; tourism becoming increasingly more important
Government: republic; independence from Haiti in 1844
Religion: Roman Catholic 95%
Literacy: age 15 and over 82% (1993)
Language: Spanish

D

Dee DeMusis

HI there, Shannon and Stephanie--

I have a couple of places you might want to add to the list.. Sarah has given you some great places and mine will cover a different part of the country.

I have two friends that are pastors of small Baptist churches who aslo have GREAT NEED of the things you mentioned because they also conduct schools and clinics for the most needy.

First, Pastor Pierre Espady's organization,the Missionary Baptist Church is located in the heart of Santo Domingo-- about a block from the Mercado Modelo-- in the heart if "Little Haiti." Anyone who has read Michelle Wucker's book, WHY THE COCKS FIGHT will recognize this church and neighborhood. Pastor has the private mail service called Lynx Air[their office is in Ft. Lauderdale, FL]. Here is the Lynx number to contact about current shipping procedures: [954] 772-9808. They are locared at 5500 NW Terrace- Hangar 24, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33309. To write to Pastor, his Lynx address is: Pastor Pierre Espady,Lynx Air[RD-SD] PO Box 407052, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33340.

The other site is Christ for the Nations Baptist Church, located in San Pedro de Macoris. Pastor Tanis DeRolus and his wife, Esther have a tiny little school[10'x10'] that serves 100 children. Pastor tells me that he also wants to feed and clothe the children and their parents too. he has little or no resource other than his VERY STRONG faith in God. Pastor Derolus has the SAME private mail service and he can be reached at the same address as Pastor Espady[ they know each other -- but Lynx has separate boxes at their depot in Santo Domingo].

I have worked with these two gentle men and can testify to the urgent need they have.

Hope this helps.

D

Dee DeMusis

Dee again--forgot to add the e-mail addresses of the two pastors mentioned previously!

Pastor Pierre Espady can be reached at "Espady@hotmail.com" and Pastor Tanis Derolus can be reached at"elitanis@hotmail.com"-- THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOU CAN DO