1st visit to DR

hamall9

Aug 6, 2008
Hi there,
I believe that there is an airport on the north coast connecting Miami direct.
We are planning to head to DR january '09 for a couple of months and wondering where the best place to rent a house/apartment would be.
Some friends have told us that the north shore is great and we are wondering where is the best part.
Also, is it better to fly into the north shore direct from miami and then visit the south or is it better to fly to SD first.
Looking forward to our first visit.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi there,
We are planning to head to DR january '09 for a couple of months and wondering where the best place to rent a house/apartment would be.
Some friends have told us that the north shore is great and we are wondering where is the best part.
Also, is it better to fly into the north shore direct from miami and then visit the south or is it better to fly to SD first.
I think it would be best to fly into the area that you think you will like the most.
If it's the North coast, then POP, STI if you want to be in mid country, and SDQ for Santo Domingo and the South coast.
The "best part" is very subjective.
You could read DR1 and pick up a lot of info, that will help you choose your starting point.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Sosua is fine, and Rocky's is a great place to eat and stay (whether it be at the hotel or condos).

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you will find that most of us have favorite places, much like bears and wolves and moray eels!!

However, there are more flights into STI than POP, and they are less expensive..And only an hour or so away from the North Shore.

A lot will depend on your tastes. If you want sand and sun the North Shore is for you..

HB

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Anyway, I am not sure how regular flights are into Punta Cana are but please don't eliminate the south of the island, there are some beautiful beaches here. However i understand personal recommendations from friends is as good as it gets. Listen to hillbillies advice he really knows his stuff as does Rocky. Many people here are very helpful others as no doubt you have just witnessed have other agenders and it really is quite sad, I feel sorry for these people and can only hope they seek help form a medical professional. Wherever you stay i hope you have a great time :)

Last edited by a moderator:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi there,

Wherever you choose to go, please make time to explore areas outside of your own to see what this beautiful country has to offer.

Good luck researching your options.

hamall9

Aug 6, 2008
Many thanks for your prompt replies.
We aim to be in DR for around 2 months and we will have been traveling for a while before that, so our plan is to rent a house/apartment in the sun/beach area, take a break for a while and then rent a car to look around the island.

We need to start our trip to DR somewhere, since we intend to see most of the island anyway, that is why we started this thread.
It is more of a trip planner than a general enquiry I guess.

many thanks for your help and yes we are beginning to work our way thru DR1

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Many thanks for your prompt replies.
We aim to be in DR for around 2 months and we will have been traveling for a while before that, so our plan is to rent a house/apartment in the sun/beach area, take a break for a while and then rent a car to look around the island.

We need to start our trip to DR somewhere, since we intend to see most of the island anyway, that is why we started this thread.
It is more of a trip planner than a general enquiry I guess.

many thanks for your help and yes we are beginning to work our way thru DR1
That's a great idea.
I traveled the country for close to 4 months, before deciding on a town to settle into.
The search itself was a total blast and it assures me of having made the best choice.

hamall9

Aug 6, 2008
That's a great idea.
I traveled the country for close to 4 months, before deciding on a town to settle into.
The search itself was a total blast and it assures me of having made the best choice.

Where did you settle Rocky.

Also, we need a base to travel from.
Any suggestions??

We need to be very close or on the beach, easy reach of restaurants, shops etc
and muy importante we need a solid internet connection.

When we travel DR we will just lock it up and so good security is an issue

regards

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where did you settle Rocky.

Also, we need a base to travel from.
Any suggestions??

We need to be very close or on the beach, easy reach of restaurants, shops etc
and muy importante we need a solid internet connection.

When we travel DR we will just lock it up and so good security is an issue

regards
I settled in Sosua and have been here for 17 years now.
I hesitate to categorically say it's the best place, as some folks think it's the armpit of the country.
For me, it's paradise and it meets all the above mentioned requirements.
One of the big bonuses is that we have a large group of honest and interesting expats living here.
For me, that's a huge factor in loving my life.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
As suggested, read as many DR1 threads as possible.... That's how we ended up visiting Las Terrenas this past Feb and then BUYING a small house with a swimming pool, 300 steps from the beach and 5 min walk into town-
(PM me if you'd like rental info as I haven't YET advertised it thru this forum :)
We've found the cheapest flights from the states are to SDQ and then you can either get TakeOff shuttle or flight to Las Terrenas- URL="http://www.takeoffweb.com"]www.Takeoffweb.ocm [/URL]
or get a rental car and drive the fab new highway!
Susan

hamall9

Aug 6, 2008
As suggested, read as many DR1 threads as possible.... That's how we ended up visiting Las Terrenas this past Feb and then BUYING a small house with a swimming pool, 300 steps from the beach and 5 min walk into town-
(PM me if you'd like rental info as I haven't YET advertised it thru this forum :)
We've found the cheapest flights from the states are to SDQ and then you can either get TakeOff shuttle or flight to Las Terrenas- URL="http://www.takeoffweb.com"]www.Takeoffweb.ocm [/URL]
or get a rental car and drive the fab new highway!
Susan

many thanks,
please email your rental details

kind regards

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
we will be in boca chica, from the 1st of feb. till the middle of march if your in the area drop in for a visit, p.m me and i,ll tell yous where we will be staying,dominican republic is a beutiful country enjoy