Tropical Casa Laguna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snausage

Aug 18, 2008
Hi!

New member here. I have been trawling through posts going back a couple of years and doing search after search looking for the information I want. My brother (22 years old) and I (23 years old) are going to the Tropical Casa Laguna for 2 weeks AI from Sep 22. I deliberated a long while prior to booking this resort. I know that it is a 2-3* rating (I grew up in South America so I know not to expect a huge amount!) but there really is limited info (up to date/relevant) available for the Casa Laguna. I have read all there is available on Trip Advisor, Ciao, holiday watchdog, Virtual Tourist, wheretostay.com etc. and the reviews are not only very varied, but I can only find a handful of late 2007-2008 reviews. The majority of which are by typical Europeans expecting a lot more than the cost of the holiday is ever going to pay for. The DR looks absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to go! I am, however, looking for just a little more info about the resort than I seem to be able to find and was hoping that some of you DR veterans would be able to help me out?

Muchisimas gracias!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hey, Snaus.
I've never been in Tropical Casa Laguna... so can't help you on the quality of their rooms. They do however seem to have a fair amount of clients.

Cabarete is essentially a one-street town. Casa Laguna is located on the non-beach side in the very center of town, so the location is excellent except not beachfront. You're a 1 minute walk to the beach across the street. I believe you have use of beach chairs (and maybe the restaurant?) at their sister hotel Tropical Beach Club across the street (it's not shown on the map below, but it's to the right of Palm Beach Condos.

What else would you like to know about either the hotel or Cabarete?

cabarete_map50.jpg

Snausage

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks for replying so swiftly!
I know my brother would like to lie on the beach all day. I, however, have plans to see the sights, meet locals and ex-pats, make friends... I'm also very interested in photographing the DR and meeting local artists/seeing local art work. Are there any markets where locals can sell their wares in/close to Cabarete? I would love to go out on a boat one day, and don't know where to start. I'd love to fit as much in as possible but, like I say, the web info for the area seems relatively limited unless you just want to kite surf, and most of the resort reviews go back to 2005.

Snausage

Aug 18, 2008
I know a little about the place , but sadly I am a typical Eurapean

Pete - I did not mean to offend, so I am sorry if that's the way it came across.
Most of the negative reviews I have read were written by Brits and Germans who, by the sounds of it, expect a lot more than they are ever going to get for the amount of money they pay. This was by no means a dig, just a fleeting comment.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I know my brother would like to lie on the beach all day.
Not a problem... 1 minute walk and he's on the beach. Even if not into kiting and windsurfing, it's a lot of fun to be a spectator.

I, however, have plans to see the sights, meet locals and ex-pats, make friends....
Easily done. For seeing the sights, try Iguana Mama tours (can find on internet). Also, if you speak Spanish you can consider renting a motoconcho or taxi for a few hours to take you around to diff't places. Talk to diff't drivers to find one that you think will show you what you want to see. People are friendly and usually quite open to conversations. I'm sure you'll find someone within 2 weeks that you'd have comfortable to take you around the local Dominican neighborhoods. At night, you'll find a lot of people your age on the beach. Lax is a sort of 'chill' place or "Bar Tipo Cool" as they call it. Onno's/Bambu are good for after 11pm dancing to reggaeton and some salsa/bachata/merengue occasionally mixed in. VoyVoy is somewhere in between with Karaoke on Monday nights & Ladies' night Thursdays. Most bars don't get going 'til 10-11pm.

I'm also very interested in photographing the DR and meeting local artists/seeing local art work.
Are there any markets where locals can sell their wares in/close to Cabarete? .
Start at Miro's Restaurant & talk to the owner Lydia about local artists. She hosts some exhibitions from time to time. Also, see Art by Veronika - Cabarete, Dominican Republic, Coco Angel - Cabarete, Dominican Republic, and ask about Ronald Duverge a local artist. There are others, Lydia should be able to help.

I would love to go out on a boat one day, and don't know where to start. I'd love to fit as much in as possible but, like I say, the web info for the area seems relatively limited unless you just want to kite surf, and most of the resort reviews go back to 2005.
Again... Iguana Mama is a place to start. Also search for Mel Tours. Your hotel will offer some opportunities to get out & about with tours as well. Search terms like Laguna Gri Gri, Damajagua falls, El Choco National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.