Become isolated and need to connect

creativeliza

Sep 30, 2004
www.creativeliza.com
I'm an American whose been here 5 + years, started a business, married a Dominican man, had two kids and am now separating (yes the classic tale). Between business and children I now realize that I don't really have friends outside of my professional connections and it feels isolating.

So I thought this might be a place to start to connect with others, especially other moms or professional women in the capital.

Also, if anyone has an suggestions on how to tap into the ex-pat community beside hanging out and having a beer I'd much appreciate. I'm a bit daunted by how to do this.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Don't be daunted Fair Lady, you have made the first & BIGGEST move by starting a thread. WELCOME to DR1, WELCOME back to the insane world of relationships!!

The 'Old Girl' & I live on the North Coast so are not going to be much use to you other than from a distance, but I wish you every success on your road to new friendships & life outside the workplaces!!

Have a BALL (or two or three or four ...........!!). ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What's that bar/restaurant that Robert often mentions in Santo Domingo, that's an expat hang out?
I know the OP is not looking to drink beer, but could likely go there and meet some folks and form an "out of bar" friendship with some.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hi creativeliza! I live in Juan Dolio and would be more than happy to meet if you are ever down this way or fancy a day at the beach. I used to be professional and am a step mum so I am not sure if that counts!!! But I too am married to a dominican (still am as we speak).

If you are interested in meeting up then just pm me and I'll let you have my phone number. Plus why don't you come into chat one night. There are usually a whole group of interesting people talking about all sorts of things so you can get to know people better before you actually meet them. Usually gets busy around 10pm and you need to have Java installed - then just press the chat button and get typing.

Hope to see you there or pm me

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is the 'Old Girl' referred to in post 3 :cheeky: As BushBaby said, we're on the north coast but I'd like to welcome you to DR1 & you're welcome to communicate with us by PM or email if you wish. I like the handle btw. What is it you're creative at?

Matilda is a super person - hope you take her up on her offer!

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
I'm an American whose been here 5 + years, started a business, married a Dominican man, had two kids and am now separating (yes the classic tale). Between business and children I now realize that I don't really have friends outside of my professional connections and it feels isolating.

So I thought this might be a place to start to connect with others, especially other moms or professional women in the capital.

Also, if anyone has an suggestions on how to tap into the ex-pat community beside hanging out and having a beer I'd much appreciate. I'm a bit daunted by how to do this.

whats wrong with hanging out and drinking a beer?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi there

I am in Higuey which i know is a couple of hours away but i to run my own business and have a little girl. There are very few ex-pats in this area too and of those who are around are foot loose and fancy free so allthough i have a couple of good friends i am not involved in the night scene.

I am sorry to hear you are separating, but there are some great people here that have been great to me and made me feel a lot less isolated even if i have not met them in person. Matilda is only a short distance from you and she is great and Lambada too is really friendly and has so much knowledge about living here. Like matilda said come into chat one night, a few of us are regulars and talk about all sorts.

None of us can ever complain about having too many friends, so by all means feel free to PM me, and good on you for coming here and making the effort which i know is sometimes very daunting, but i assure you, you will meet some fab people...like me :cheeky:

S

sokitoumi

how creative are you......laura can sign you up for the circus if you want lol.....what are your juggling skills like-welcome from me

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Yes if your children would like a day at the circus, by all means bring them for a weekend, they will have a great time!! Sokitomi is currently in training as a circus clown and trapeze artist, i have high hopes for him, really coming along well ;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sokitomi is currently in training as a circus clown and trapeze artist, i have high hopes for him, really coming along well ;)
And.............................
SOKI.jpg

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
1 Ex Pat Hangout

The one I've heard talked about is Mi Taverna. Went twice and like the place and they have specials several nights a week. One of the SDQ folks will have to give directions as I don't know street names. Lots of ex-pats hang there and not all are drinkers.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The one I've heard talked about is Mi Taverna. Went twice and like the place and they have specials several nights a week. One of the SDQ folks will have to give directions as I don't know street names. Lots of ex-pats hang there and not all are drinkers.
Yes, yes.
That's the one.
Thanks tflea, and I agree, just like here on the North coast, there are several folks who sit in bar/restaurants and socialize without drinking,
That should be a great place for the OP to start.

creativeliza

Sep 30, 2004
www.creativeliza.com
Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with hanging out and drinking beer but with friends. I don't want to go alone to a bar to meet people, especially since I haven't been anywhere in a long while. However, if there are any events or specific get-togethers where I know there will be friendly faces I could brave it.