HELP: Lodging in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hello all,

I need a quick answer, does anyone know of any cheap lodging in Santiago? Something comfortable, but cheap would be appreciated and as central as possible. Much appreciated for the help.

Mr. Lu

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Do a search here on DR1 for addresses, contact info, etc, but here's a list, all inexpensive and centrally located:
Hotel Colonial
Aloha Sol
Hodelpa Centro Plaza
Hotel Matum

In town, but slightly farther from center:
Platino
Century Plaza

Reactions: AnnaC

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Hotel Rotunda, on the extreme north end of feb 27th, right hand side. 350rd for a room with cable and a fan. 700rd for ac fridge and hot water. Just north of the Metro bus station.

Reactions: AnnaC

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hotel Rotunda, on the extreme north end of feb 27th, right hand side. 350rd for a room with cable and a fan. 700rd for ac fridge and hot water. Just north of the Metro bus station.

Never been there but price is right.

Hopefully it won`t be like Colonial that not too far ago was also $8-$12/night and now like I heard - $40 if not $45.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Do a search here on DR1 for addresses, contact info, etc, but here's a list, all inexpensive and centrally located:
Hotel Colonial
Aloha Sol
Hodelpa Centro Plaza
Hotel Matum

In town, but slightly farther from center:
Platino
Century Plaza

What is the current price range of these inexpensive hotels? Last time when I stayed in Aloha about a year ago it was about $80 US/per night if my memory serves me whell. And my room did not have windows. At all!

I got impression that OP asked about low price hotels. $10-$15US / night.

I could be wrong. I am old.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
AK47-
No, the Rotunda is owned by an old guy that speaks good English. I know him well. The rooms are clean, cable, etc, and it has guarded enclosed parking in a secure lot between the front and back buildings. The front rooms are more noisy and have fans, but the back rooms for 700rd or so have AC and are very nice. It's a good hotel and a great price. And with the metro station on the next block and gua guas loading and loading across the street, it is an excellent place to stay and catch rides. It also has an internet cafe beneath it along with a couple of restaurants down there and colmados on the back side, fruit and coffee stands all around. I've stayed there many many times, the ladies will do your laundry up on the roof and it's a friendly spot. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: DavidZ

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
It is noisy, no doubt. The rooms without AC are in front, so with your windows open it's loud. The AC, fridge rooms are in back, on the other side of a large secure guest parking lot, and they are quiet, cold and nice. The parking is very secure, and I have parked my pickup loaded with construction materials for days there without one screw missing. But yes, noise in the cheap seats is an issue for many.

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
What is the current price range of these inexpensive hotels? Last time when I stayed in Aloha about a year ago it was about $80 US/per night if my memory serves me whell. And my room did not have windows. At all!

I got impression that OP asked about low price hotels. $10-$15US / night.

I could be wrong. I am old.

I stayed at the Aloha for 1 week in June and it cost $52 US per night with breakfast included.

Robin

Reactions: Rocky

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The Aloha Sol, Century Plaza, and Platino are all between $50 and $60 or so..the first two include breakfast. They are all clean and comfortable with very pleasant (and english speaking) staff. I consider that "cheap", considering the Marriott and Gran Almirante are well north of $100 per night. Santiago is not known for $10-$15 a night hotels...at least ones where the average tourist would want to stay.

The Rotunda sounds like it may be worth checking out for that price, and while I'm not a fan of the Colonial, I believe the rooms in the two "older" buildings are still around 700 pesos with a/c, cable, hot water, etc... rooms in the newest building are (I think) around 1400-1500 pesos, and I've heard much nicer...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Lu, i would stay away from CHEAP hotels anywhere in DR, you really get what you pay for. I was in Santiago last year and remember driving around looking for cheap accomodations and saw a couple of places that SCARED me away [mind you 500-600 peso range]. For that I would rather spend my night in a cabana, even if it means waiting until 11pm to go in and check in for the night!
try this place and call them ahead of time to reserve as it is VERY popular. you might be able to get them to hold a room for you. in any case, worth the expense and comfort!
http://www.boraborapt.com/

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Lu, i would stay away from CHEAP hotels anywhere in DR, you really get what you pay for. I was in Santiago last year and remember driving around looking for cheap accomodations and saw a couple of places that SCARED me away [mind you 500-600 peso range]. For that I would rather spend my night in a cabana, even if it means waiting until 11pm to go in and check in for the night!
try this place and call them ahead of time to reserve as it is VERY popular. you might be able to get them to hold a room for you. in any case, worth the expense and comfort!
Bora Bora

Bora Bora is THE cabana of cabanas! The sencilla (basic) rooms are reminiscent of true int'l 4 star hotels! but then, a full night (12 hrs) amounts to about RD$ 2700.oo. Yes, if you are not such a long sleeper as I tend to be... it get's cheaper.

At Helios (cabanas), just along the same road, that will be closer to RD$ 1800.oo for the same time with rooms not as luxurious but still superior to Hotel Matum or Aloha (which are around that price range and up) and SECURE parking... only missing windows but with a higher likeliness of functioning hot water 24/7.

I will thou give Hotel La Rotonda off the Metro bus station a try next time I'll have to stay over.

... J-D.

R

rockero

WOW I am loving this info this sounds like my place for sure,,Yeh If worse comes to worse I am hitting this place,,,I just heard of dives on the far southern end of downtown which is a red light zone,,Also on calle cucrillo Or Cucurillo,,But I here the neighborhood there is skectcky at night..I am hoping the neighborhood of this hotel by metro busa is kind of ok.
Oh on another topic that I should start a thread on speaking of Metro trains like one in Santo Domingo now.. I heard Santiago now will have a metro train here..OK Sorry went off topic on that.. But is that true too???
Am busy to start a new thread these days but OK any info again cheap pensiones or hotel a must here,,Rockero....
Bora Bora is THE cabana of cabanas! The sencilla (basic) rooms are reminiscent of true int'l 4 star hotels! but then, a full night (12 hrs) amounts to about RD$ 2700.oo. Yes, if you are not such a long sleeper as I tend to be... it get's cheaper.

At Helios (cabanas), just along the same road, that will be closer to RD$ 1800.oo for the same time with rooms not as luxurious but still superior to Hotel Matum or Aloha (which are around that price range and up) and SECURE parking... only missing windows but with a higher likeliness of functioning hot water 24/7.

I will thou give Hotel La Rotonda off the Metro bus station a try next time I'll have to stay over.

... J-D.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if it for Mr. Lu, I have just the place for you.
Mi casa es tu casa.
call me, Rob has my number.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hotel Colonial has three hotels all right next to eachother with three price ranges starting at RD500 a night to over RD1500.

R

rockero

THE Rotunda looks good for me,,I will check out on that,,Do they still have cheap prices with fans??? Hope someone can me updated,,Rockero..
The Aloha Sol, Century Plaza, and Platino are all between $50 and $60 or so..the first two include breakfast. They are all clean and comfortable with very pleasant (and english speaking) staff. I consider that "cheap", considering the Marriott and Gran Almirante are well north of $100 per night. Santiago is not known for $10-$15 a night hotels...at least ones where the average tourist would want to stay.

The Rotunda sounds like it may be worth checking out for that price, and while I'm not a fan of the Colonial, I believe the rooms in the two "older" buildings are still around 700 pesos with a/c, cable, hot water, etc... rooms in the newest building are (I think) around 1400-1500 pesos, and I've heard much nicer...

Status
Not open for further replies.