CAR FIRE- first week here!

ashland

Aug 19, 2008
We just moved down to Santo Domingo about a week and a half ago, to begin a two year teaching contract. We bought a car from teachers who were leaving town, which ran great despite it's age (1993) for the 4 days that we got to drive it. Then one day we took it to a mechanic to check it over and to repair the air conditioning. He replaced the seal on the AC compressor and replaced the filter, but when we drove it that evening, it suddenly caught on fire after just 5 minutes on the road. We were unable to put the fire out ourselves and by the time the Bombero arrived, the car was totaled. We inherited insurance from the previous owners, but it was only liability and will not cover this. The mechanic refuses to compensate us at all, because we cannot PROVE that his work caused the fire because the whole engine is now burned (although it was quite clear to us that it began with the AC unit). We're thankful that no one was hurt, but we're so frustrated and unsure of what to do next. Is there anyone in the city who would specialize in determing a fire's cause? If we have proof, perhaps we could make a case. Also, are lawyer's fees really expensive? We hate to think we are just losing all the $$ we put into this car, which would have been a great car!! It was kind of a rough start in a new country!

Thanks so much for any advice.
K and J

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I'm guessing the car did not cost more than $1000 US...I'm hoping it didn't!! From what I have read in the past, I think you should just accept the loss and carry on.

Especially if you can not prove, and are not %100 sure of how the fire was started!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Welcome to the DR!

Your not going to get anything out of the mechanic, even if his workmanship caused the fire and you have proof. Dominican vs Gringo, forget it, especially a newbie Gringo.

Any decent lawyer will not take this case on, as they know the reality.
Sure, you can find a lawyer to fight your case, but I guarantee he/she is in it for money, nothing more, nothing less. Plus if your not a resident or Dominican, you'll need to post a substantial bond in order to take action against the mechanic.

I'm afraid your going to have to chalk this one down to a learning experience, despite how hard that may be swallow.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Santo Domingo. It truly is a wonderful place to live if you can adapt and survive the first few times you get turned over.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That is a rotten start - empathies! Normally each fire station has someone a little more expert than the others at determining cause of a fire but unfortunately you could come up against a case of 'expert opinion' being 'bought' by the other side and you're too new here to know whether this is the case or not. Even if you got proof the mechanic may have insufficient resources to have any sort of actionable judgement enforced if you could get one handed down in the first place, which is doubtful.

I don't think it is a battle you would win & you would put a lot of energy & money into it to no good end.

Put it down to experience. Sorry. Reality can be harsh here at times.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Dear Ashland,

I think you get the picture now. Please take the advice that everyone above gave you.

There is no way your going to win this case.

You could probably get another car with the money you’re going to spend on a lawyer.

Sorry, it very unfortunate.