Mining suspended Falconbridge

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
They're going to use the time to switch to coal burning plants (much more economical than the actual way). Also as they reported a new exploration will take place to prepare new extensions to the main operations there, this translates into that the new plants will be at least twice more powerful than the ones there now; the plan is to expand mining operations and lower costs of extraction by bulk.

Just a scheduled shifting already planned a good time ago and now put into motion as to get on top of the energy shock earlier than others. Did you know that in that particular mining operation Gold and silver are secondary to the nickel extraction???

I bet a deep and wider range of exploration will take place there soon...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Just a scheduled shifting already planned a good time ago and now put into motion as to get on top of the energy shock earlier than others.

Not even the best oil prognosticators knew that oil was going over $100.00 dollars. Did Falconbridge really foresee the use of coal burning plants? Come on man they are just reacting to the shock.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No jobs to be lost might have been a touch optimistic. El Nacional is reporting 90% of jobs to be saved - once I start seeing figures reducing I wait for the next 'estimate'.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

More here on the reasons why, in English
TheStar.com | Business | Price drop triggers cut in nickel production

Doesn't say anything about it being a planned shutdown. They usually announce those a bit in advance, don't they? So that the company doesn't look like it operates on a crisis management model.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Not even the best oil prognosticators knew that oil was going over $100.00 dollars. Did Falconbridge really foresee the use of coal burning plants? Come on man they are just reacting to the shock.

Even before the price increase on the barrel of oil, coal is much, much more cheaper than oil based energy plants.

Also the mining operation was being studied for expansion given the recent preliminary studies made there. The FB had this halt planned a while ago...

To add a newer (and energy efficient) power plant and refit the operations to upgraded standards you must halt the operations or else face big problems!

No one said it was about foresight into the future but the actual use of outdated power plants versus newer more efficient ones indeed!

The output from the FB plant is pre-sold not put out to market! The supply was planned to be halted and you can search the data on that via the company press releases several months prior to the shock of oil prices going up to the last highest point. That's why I said the stoppage was planned and actually power upgrades to newer efficient ones was foresight from 81/2 months since the first press release from FB Dominicana to shareholders...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The supply was planned to be halted and you can search the data on that via the company press releases several months prior to the shock of oil prices going up to the last highest point. That's why I said the stoppage was planned and actually power upgrades to newer efficient ones was foresight from 81/2 months since the first press release from FB Dominicana to shareholders...

1.Since you know were that info is could you be kind enough to give us the link to that web page.
2. What is 81/2 months.

I am willing to learn just as others. Gracias.