Shopping in DR...Weeeeeeeee

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Just wanted to ask about DR Shopping, For Example :

The Bow flex Machine, something that I would pay $3000 here, I saw in Higuey for $700 US.
Another ..is a Moen, Rain shower, the full body faucet sets-here $5000 in DR $800 US

So for people and expats that move to DR With some money in hand (bank) they can really set themselves up nicely..these are just some of the things I've noticed. The dramatic price differences.

I have noticed prices to be much less in DR than here, even shoes and Nikes and anything..I was surprised to see some of the things I did, considering it was a developing Country.

There is really no question here, I'm just wondering what other things you have seen available in DR and just were surprised to see it there? Or do they have everything US and Canada have just minus the big box stores?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Very few imported items cost less in the DR....Unless it's a knock-off or stolen. Especially in Higuey, things are a lot cheaper in the capital.

The big box stores are making their way into the DR just like they did in Canada unfortunately :ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
EVERYTHING i like is more expensive in DR than europe. shoes, clothes, cosmetics, cars. cheap brand shoes in DR are either stolen or fake. also never ever any offers BUY ONE GET ONE FREE. and no 75% off sales either.
construction of a nice house in of course cheaper (due to cheap labour) but finishing is not. good quality sinks/taps are cheaper in europe. same goes for appliances.

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
can u buy decent black leather dress shoes in SD, if so where and how much average?

what about good quality suits tht are suitable for this climate? how much?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Just wanted to ask about DR Shopping, For Example :

The Bow flex Machine, something that I would pay $3000 here, I saw in Higuey for $700 US.
Another ..is a Moen, Rain shower, the full body faucet sets-here $5000 in DR $800 US

So for people and expats that move to DR With some money in hand (bank) they can really set themselves up nicely..these are just some of the things I've noticed. The dramatic price differences.

I have noticed prices to be much less in DR than here, even shoes and Nikes and anything..I was surprised to see some of the things I did, considering it was a developing Country.

There is really no question here, I'm just wondering what other things you have seen available in DR and just were surprised to see it there? Or do they have everything US and Canada have just minus the big box stores?

Well... All people around me try to bring all expensive things from USA. Even considering cost of shipping, bribes, customs and such.

Maybe we are talking about some different things I do not know. Most luxury level items in DR are twice more expensive than in US, often refurbished or plain fake.

It is only a limited individual experience. I will be happy if your experience is different.

Every time from NY to POP my maletas are full to limit with peoples orders - buy this! buy that! and that! and that!!

With all American negative things , better and cheaper shopping than in USA is hard to imagine.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
LaPurr,
Your experience goes against practically everything I've run into regarding shopping. I don't know anyone that recommends DR as a shopping destination for bargain hunters.

My experience:
  • Quality imported items are much more expensive than in the U.S.
  • Electronic items are more expensive and/or of inferior quality or outdated technology.
  • Appliances are more expensive and often of inferior quality or outdated.
  • Clothing with good quality fabrics and construction is more expensive
  • Imported food is expensive
  • Gasoline is more expensive
  • Cars are more expensive
  • etc, etc, etc
Bottom line, my experience is one must pay a premium for quality items in DR on just about everything.

If you're finding bargains on brand name exercise equipment, Nike's, faucets, etc... I'd suspect you're looking at counterfeits, overruns, old inventory or defective items.

If it's all legit, please advise where you're shopping!

Reactions: Lapurr

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
The counterfeit idea came into my mind, so i'm sure when it comes to name brand clothing /shoes etc...they very well may have been fakes.

As far as excercise equipment and the luxery rain shower, those i saw in Higuey, it was an all in one shopping centre...can't remember the name? sorry!

But thanks for sharing your list of experiences, i will definately take your word for it!!

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
CFA123:

# Quality imported items are much more expensive than in the U.S.
# Electronic items are more expensive and/or of inferior quality or outdated technology.
# Appliances are more expensive and often of inferior quality or outdated.
# Clothing with good quality fabrics and construction is more expensive

I agree with CFA - I try to load up on personal items when I go to LA: PC stuff, radios, Clarins products, etc., I try to buy a year's worth over there (a years worth of makeup and creams, etc, obviously, not a years worth of radios!). My brand name Black-and-Decker items must be knock-offs -I bought them here and they've barely lasted 6 months without a problem. I love the LA and Vegas outlets and usually load up on work clothes there. I am through buying shoes here, even the $1500 peso ones which would be CHEAP in the States, fall apart after a few outings.

For plastic items here I look for the Colombian brand RIMAX.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I am looking for a world baseball classic jersey, but the ones on the mlb site are way too expensive and can't find them in the D.R. do any stores there have online sales, would like one from 2007 but also want one for 2009, gracias
Biggs

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am looking for a world baseball classic jersey, but the ones on the mlb site are way too expensive and can't find them in the D.R. do any stores there have online sales, would like one from 2007 but also want one for 2009, gracias
Biggs

The Classic was played in 2006, not 2007. I never saw any jerseys here when it was played in 06, so I doubt you will find any now.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I agree with everyone and IMHO, for this to be such a poor country they have alot of balls to charge what they do for some things.
I do the majority of my grocery shopping in NYC when I go because it is outrageous here (the prices) for American name brand things, I even saw KRAFT parmesan cheese in the little bottle that you sprinkle over your pizza and spaghetti....................345pesos (almost $12US)
My carry-on is now my cereal area....I can fit 5 or 6 boxes of Name Brand American breakfast cereal in it! Because if I buy cereal here, we'll have to eat soup for a couple of days.
SHALENA

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
KRAFT parmesan cheese in the little bottle that you sprinkle over your pizza and spaghetti....................345pesos (almost $12US)
At the current exchange rate that's under US$10 - but still outrageous. My pet peeve is laundry detergent at RD$700 - is there any way that it costs US$20 in the US?

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
LaPurr, maybe those prices you saw were the price of installment payments because pretty much everything I see here is double or triple the US. I can't believe what I pay for some things down here. Chiri, I too love my liquid Tide and it is amazing that here I will pay 700RD for it but I would NEVER pay that much for it in the States.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
For the record things DO NOT cost two to three times here what they cost in the USA. They do cost more, sometimes as much as 50% more, but 50% is a far cry from three times more.

Yes I've seen the liquid Tide for ~RD$700 but how much does it really cost in USA and what do you think import duty and shipping costs are? The cheapest I've found the Liquid Tide is for US$13.28 + Shipping on the internet or US$17 with free shipping.
Tide Liquid - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

At RD$35 to US$1 that would make the average cost of the product ~RD$530. Assuming that the RD$530 amount includes duty and shipping cost to DR (doubtful) and adding a 30% markup (standard practice for retails), the product is properly priced to net a profit to the retailer and provide a SERVICE to customers wishing to acquire this product in DR.

The same is true with KRAFT Parmesan cheese, I personally have bought and buy this imported USA product. Although I haven't purchased this product in about two months, the last I remember paying for an 8 oz plastic shaker bottle was RD$290 in Super Pola La Sirena in SD. The cheapest I found this product on the internet was at Walgreens for US$5.99.
100% Grated Parmesan Cheese | Kraft | Walgreens
Again, if we do the math that would equal to RD$210 for a product imported to DR for a RD$80 markup a far cry from two to three times the retail price in USA.

Most cars are exactly the same. There is a 20-30% mark up. If you do your homework you'll usually pay no more than 15% more here in DR. Here is an example of a popular selling SUV in DR, the 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara sold in DR
super-carros.com - dominicana - detalle vehiculo usado
And one being sold in USA similar in features and mileage in USA
White Water Pearl 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara Base For Sale in Poughkeepsie, New York ? Buy This Used Car Today

I don't understand what the big deal is. If you want products from the US, live in the US and BUY all the American products you want, else, you'll have to pay MORE in DR for the IMPORTED product. It's not a big deal. Really. Buy local products and support the local manufactures. Reward the Dominican people and the Dominican economy, the place YOU choose to live in. If you want an American lifestyle, home, amenities and social environment you'll have to LIVE IN USA NOT IN DR.

NotLurking

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
For the record things DO NOT cost two to three times here what they cost in the USA. They do cost more, sometimes as much as 50% more, but 50% is a far cry from three times more.

Yes I've seen the liquid Tide for ~RD$700 but how much does it really cost in USA and what do you think import duty and shipping costs are? The cheapest I've found the Liquid Tide is for US$13.28 + Shipping on the internet or US$17 with free shipping.
Tide Liquid - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

At RD$35 to US$1 that would make the average cost of the product ~RD$530. Assuming that the RD$530 amount includes duty and shipping cost to DR (doubtful) and adding a 30% markup (standard practice for retails), the product is properly priced to net a profit to the retailer and provide a SERVICE to customers wishing to acquire this product in DR.

The same is true with KRAFT Parmesan cheese, I personally have bought and buy this imported USA product. Although I haven't purchased this product in about two months, the last I remember paying for an 8 oz plastic shaker bottle was RD$290 in Super Pola La Sirena in SD. The cheapest I found this product on the internet was at Walgreens for US$5.99.
100% Grated Parmesan Cheese | Kraft | Walgreens
Again, if we do the math that would equal to RD$210 for a product imported to DR for a RD$80 markup a far cry from two to three times the retail price in USA.

Most cars are exactly the same. There is a 20-30% mark up. If you do your homework you'll usually pay no more than 15% more here in DR. Here is an example of a popular selling SUV in DR, the 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara sold in DR
super-carros.com - dominicana - detalle vehiculo usado
And one being sold in USA similar in features and mileage in USA
White Water Pearl 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara Base For Sale in Poughkeepsie, New York ? Buy This Used Car Today

I don't understand what the big deal is. If you want products from the US, live in the US and BUY all the American products you want, else, you'll have to pay MORE in DR for the IMPORTED product. It's not a big deal. Really. Buy local products and support the local manufactures. Reward the Dominican people and the Dominican economy, the place YOU choose to live in. If you want an American lifestyle, home, amenities and social environment you'll have to LIVE IN USA NOT IN DR.

NotLurking

In Canada I buy Heinz Ketchup so when I am in the D.R. I buy Heinz ketchup why ?? If it's not Heinz it's not ketchup. Don't try to convince me that Victorina Ketchup is ketchup.
As you said, there is no big deal, I want it I pay for it and that's it. Lets just say that a lot of products are much more expensive in the D.R. than in the U.S.A. or Canada.... but we have to remember that a lot af products are less expensive in the D.R. than in the U.S.A or Canada...
There is no use to talk about 35 pesos = 1$ US because we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Whom doesn't remember 53 pesos = 1$ US
Why buy Kraft grated parmesan when you can buy REAL Italian parmesan for about the same price. The little thing to grate it cost almost nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
In Canada I buy Heinz Ketchup so when I am in the D.R. I buy Heinz ketchup why ?? If it's not Heinz it's not ketchup. Don't try to convince me that Victorina Ketchup is ketchup.
As you said, there is no big deal, I want it I pay for it and that's it. Lets just say that a lot of products are much more expensive in the D.R. than in the U.S.A. or Canada.... but we have to remember that a lot af products are less expensive in the D.R. than in the U.S.A or Canada...
There is no use to talk about 35 pesos = 1$ US because we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Whom doesn't remember 53 pesos = 1$ US
You are absolutely right about Heinz ketchup, I'm guilty as charged! I just love the stuff and agree with you that there is no better ketchup for me. This is exactly the point I'm making in my previous post. If I like, need, want or can't live without something, I'll paid the premium it cost to acquire the foreign commodity. Of course I'll also notice that it IS more expensive here in DR than it was in USA. My issue is that in general people tend to exaggerate the difference in price of the same items retailed in different countries. I'm sure it is done without malice but it usually rubs me the wrong way. I Don't know this is true for everyone but when all is said and done here in DR I find that OVERALL my life and that of my wife and kids is MUCH better, less stressful and less expensive here. I've been here for the las 9 years (going on 10)

And yes I do remember the RD$53 to US$1 exchange rate it was almost 5 years ago. Do you remember the RD$2.85 to US$1? It was 25 years ago (1983). I also remember 1 US dollar = 1 EURO (in 2000). But what is the relevance? That things change? Yes they do change ALL OVER THE WORLD.

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Why buy Kraft grated parmesan when you can buy REAL Italian parmesan for about the same price. The little thing to grate it cost almost nothing.

This is what I've been doing :D That is why I haven't been buying the Kraft grated Parmesan for about two months! Thanks for suggesting it in your post. I forgot to mention it. :) :) :)

Emmm, I'm getting hungry for some pasta. Yummy!!

NotLurking

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually, NotLurking, I make a point of buying local as much as possible, probably more than most people I know. But there are some products where there is no acceptable local alternative, and even where one does exist, it's not always available. Laundry detergent is a case in point.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Actually, NotLurking, I make a point of buying local as much as possible, probably more than most people I know. But there are some products where there is no acceptable local alternative, and even where one does exist, it's not always available. Laundry detergent is a case in point.
Yes, you are right, liquid laundry detergent is not locally manufactured. In this case you have no other choice but to purchase an imported product, if you really want liquid laundry detergent. In my case though, I've always used powder laundry detergent and I've tried just about all the local available brands and find them all about the same with perhaps Fab Total and Omo being the slightly better brands. Powder laundry detergent usually sell for RD$99 per 1kg in SD (~30-40 loads depends on who does the laundry. Dominicans use too MUCH detergent!). Chiri, if you haven't done so, maybe you could give powder laundry detergent a try (again)? It certainly is MUCH cheaper. I once bought a 5 gallon bucket of imported (from USA) powder laundry detergent in Super Pola. It was very similar to the Sears brand of powder laundry detergent but my wife said that it was about the same as the local stuff and it was more expensive. I didn't buy the bucket stuff agian but perhaps you could maybe give that a try? I know, I know, it ain't liquid :) :) Oh well we can't win all the time. When it comes to liquid laundry detergent we don't have another choice but to pay and pay lots. :(

NotLurking