Forget about solar and wind power, here is our answer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
http://www.listindiario.com/app/article.aspx?id=70324

Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic are studying the feasibility of using a transoceanic cable to bring power from Columbia to the DR and PR.
It would be the longest cable of its kind.

While it seems impractical, anything to help the current power situation here is welcome.

Perhaps Pichardo has more information on this?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I thought the idea may come up eventually... Mallorca is studying the same concept to draw more energy form the Spanish main land.
Well, right now we are dependent on old US machinery, imported and largely unpaid (on credit) oil, gas and coal... So why not differing our dependency on to the US... but then... they (the US) may want to be paid or they might just march in (once more) and block our customs until they got the money. So, I suspect... that it may just end up being what the article says... they are considering, studying, talking about it... as so many things they have been for decades.
The truth is, oil and gas is getting too valuable (expensive) to be burnt, so, DR politics or not, there will have to come a BIG solution or the lights will go out for good... at the palacio presidencial too.

I think the DR has enough hydraulic resources available to produce more energy than what is currently produced. And there is wind energy. Additionally, Photovoltaic seems to be at the verge of a new break thru soon, potentially making domestic dependence on the grid a thing of the past when paired with less energy consumption... hopefully.

... J-D.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
J-D;

While I will agree with you about there being water sources aplenty, I am reminded that Dominicans continue to denude the mountains in the same manner as do the Haitians, resulting in over-erosion which eventually clogs the rivers and decreases the water flow. That, alone,and coupled with normal "run-off" erosion, will eventually fill in behind the dams and render them ineffective as catchment basins for electrical production. While that may be many years in the future, do you believe that any Dominican government would have the foresight to enforce any anti-deforestation laws effectively? They haven't been successful so far. In fact even the Senators and Delegates have been party to the de-forestation of public lands.
I have given up on expecting ANY effective government actions which will solve the numerous problems, environmental, infrastructural, social and economic that the various governments have been the direct cause of.

TB

Last edited:

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
It's funny to me that the DR would contemplate experimenting with running the longest under water power cable in the world while not even charging the people using the existing electricity now, which would provide some financial relief to the system while at the same time showing the population that thievery is wrong.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
http://www.listindiario.com/app/article.aspx?id=70324Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic are studying the feasibility of using a transoceanic cable to bring power from Columbia to the DR and PR. It would be the longest cable of its kind.

Heeheeehee .. teee tee tee... jee jeee jeee.. Well, now that I've had my belly laugh, I declare ... This is just nonsense from people who do no understand that certain 'commodities' are finite. I.e. the stuff runs out. We only have so much then it is se fue. Wait, let me laugh some more...

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
It's funny to me that the DR would contemplate experimenting with running the longest under water power cable in the world while not even charging the people using the existing electricity now, which would provide some financial relief to the system while at the same time showing the population that thievery is wrong.

That is but one of the many shortcomings of DR. There seems to be no incentive by the powers to be to make a better or more accountable society. No wonder education is so lacking here, more intelligent people would be up in arms at the waste. Status quo will remain until some politician who is not concerned about glamor and personal enrichment decides to actually make a difference. Until that point, this is just another banana republic. Still, it's a great place for expats to live/retire after being rewarded for their diligent work elsewhere.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Actually, the looking down the road for a ridiculously complicated solution instead of using the tools at hand to solve a problem is just plain stupid, and is not isolated to the DR and its electrical problems.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
J-D;

While I will agree with you about there being water sources aplenty, I am reminded that Dominicans continue to denude the mountains in the same manner as do the Haitians, resulting in over-erosion which eventually clogs the rivers and decreases the water flow. That, alone,and coupled with normal "run-off" erosion, will eventually fill in behind the dams and render them ineffective as catchment basins for electrical production. While that may be many years in the future, do you believe that any Dominican government would have the foresight to enforce any anti-deforestation laws effectively? They haven't been successful so far. In fact even the Senators and Delegates have been party to the de-forestation of public lands.
I have given up on expecting ANY effective government actions which will solve the numerous problems, environmental, infrastructural, social and economic that the various governments have been the direct cause of.

TB

TB, I share your concern(s). However, as Chirs put it, the "Stuff" is running out and the day even el Presidente and his yard fools won't be able to afford to get light in their mansions may be closer than what many think.
Actually, this poses an opportunity for most all countries. Certainly, larger and more developed countries will re-intensify their investment in nuclear energy... something, I hope is out of question for the DR unless we do it "off shore" thru the Puerto Rico proxy.

... J-D.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let's see what's on the plate so far for the DR

Lets see now. That makes The Metro, High Speed Trains from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo, all electronic currency (that will remove corruption at all levels creating a functioning government, great education system and trustworthy police force) and a complete rebuilding of all roads and bridges and an extension cable hooked to South America to solve the power problems. Did I miss anything important?

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
J-D;

TB

I totally agree with you. The de-forestation problem is a serious issue.

I get into an argument with the official in charge in my town. It hasn't rain in about six months and they continue to cut down the trees.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
La Rep?blica - Puerto Rico confirma que junto a RD instalar?a cable submarino paraenerg?a desde Colombia

Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic are studying the feasibility of using a transoceanic cable to bring power from Columbia to the DR and PR.

While it seems impractical, anything to help the current power situation here is welcome.

What Columbia will that be? British Columbia or The District of Columbia? I'm sure the Colombians are just as tired of people calling their country Columbia as we are of people calling The DR "The Dominican".

Anyhow I think you can lump this one with such renowned projects as the artificial island, the gazzillion dollars port of Manzanillo, The gazzillion rooms hotel to be built in some little town in Barahona, etc...

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
La Rep?blica - Puerto Rico confirma que junto a RD instalar?a cable submarino paraenerg?a desde Colombia

What stuff do they smoke I wonder?