Italian Population Of DR?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
mafioso....good luck trying to get stats, all mob related :) LOL
on a serious note, every time I have been to DR I always saw tons of Italian tourists and or regular folks living on the island, moreso than any other people [except maybe Canadian], i dont know what the numbers would be....weird you couldnt find that somewhere on the web....

souljanyn3

Feb 8, 2008
I know maybe it is MOB related :O everyone else except Italians...well than again couldn't get anything on Canadians...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
mafioso....good luck trying to get stats, all mob related :)

I think you may have watched one too many Sopranos episodes my friend, contrary to your exposure to Italians on HBO, not every person of Italian descent is in "The Mob".

tambo'

Reactions: Bronxboy

souljanyn3

Feb 8, 2008
I would've thought that maybe its because the Italian population is fairly low, but I hear alot of people say how many Italians there are in DR and there are even 1,300 British in DR so where all the Italians?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a significant Italian expat presence all over the DR, noticeable in places like the capital, Bayahibe, Saman? and Boca Chica. The DR is also immensely popular as a tourist destination for Italians. In addition, there are several prominent Dominican families of Italian descent, most notably Vicini, Marranzini, Bonnetti, Rainieri, Billini, and others ending in i.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
fyi

I think you may have watched one too many Sopranos episodes my friend, contrary to your exposure to Italians on HBO, not every person of Italian descent is in "The Mob".

tambo'

i have never watched a single episode of the sopranos on HBO!
besides my post was written in jest, i dont know what mob ties [if any] are in DR though i wouldnt doubt it...at least not soprano like LOL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think the OP is interested about the population of Italians other than in the DR :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
After searching and searching and searching; first in English, then in Spanish, and lastly in Italian; this is what I found.

As of January 2008, there are approximately 40,000 italians living in the Dominican Republic.

Source (in Italian)

-NALs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From time to time Migraci?n publishes figures of all the foreign residents in the DR by nationality, presumably based on the numbers of legal residents, but there are many more unofficial residents with tourist status so it would be difficult to determine the exact figure for any nationality. NALs's figure sounds likely, though.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALs is this an actual source or is it his/there guess?
The article was written by an Italian that has been living in the DR for 10 years (he splits his time between SDQ and Rome). The article is about the lack of interest among expatriate Italians to become members of the Register of Italians Living Abroad. He then goes to to use the Italian population in the DR as an example, stating that while there are approximately 40,000 Italians living in the DR, only 4,000 or 10% are members of the Register of Italians Living Abroad; which has political implications when expatriate Italians want their interests to be heard and/or taken into account in Italian politics.

Nowhere does it state the source of the figure, but given the extreme scarcity of such data on the net; at least you have something to work with.

-NALs