Where are the coins??

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
A while back DR1 reported that a ship was on its way to the DR with thousands of 1, 5, 10 and 25 peso coins and was expected to land end of July(?). Anyone have an update? was it hijacked? Did it sink? Still no coins in circlation.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A while back DR1 reported that a ship was on its way to the DR with thousands of 1, 5, 10 and 25 peso coins and was expected to land end of July(?). Anyone have an update? was it hijacked? Did it sink? Still no coins in circlation.

I also would like to know. First there was nothing. Then they had tons of 5's. I was getting them from the banks in 5,000.00 bags. Then no more 5's. A couple of weeks later 10's not as plentifull but something. Now no more 10's. 25's are available.
The 5's whent to the poker machine guys. They are hogging them. 10's I dunno.
I'm back to paying 10% commission on change. The Central Bank is handing it out coin by coin.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
coins

I also would like to know. First there was nothing. Then they had tons of 5's. I was getting them from the banks in 5,000.00 bags. Then no more 5's. A couple of weeks later 10's not as plentifull but something. Now no more 10's. 25's are available.
The 5's whent to the poker machine guys. They are hogging them. 10's I dunno.
I'm back to paying 10% commission on change. The Central Bank is handing it out coin by coin.

i said before and i say again.stores and bars should start giving and accepting usa currancy at an even 35 peso to the dollar. then at least there would be currency to exchange, but the rate has to be the same both ways to make work.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i said before and i say again.stores and bars should start giving and accepting usa currancy at an even 35 peso to the dollar. then at least there would be currency to exchange, but the rate has to be the same both ways to make work.

I agree 100% but we still need coins. US or otherwise.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
DR will receive RD$101 million in coins

The latest on those missing coins......:surprised

SANTO DOMINGO.- The people cannot explain why there is no change on the streets. Neither can the authorities been able to explain what the real situation is, and they have denied, sometimes, that there is a scarcity of coins. However, each day sees "change" become a big business with commissions being charged depending on how much it is needed.

DR will receive RD$101 million in coins - DiarioLibre.com

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
IDIOTS with numbers!

(and NO, Sr Hidalgo, I am NOT referring to YOU!!")

Your citation of Diario Libre confirms one big problem - lack of mathematics education and the tendency of everyone to believe what they read! I guess the reporter was too busy learning how to write well, and ignored his math education, or else someone in BC did the same thing.

According to the data cited in the Diario Libre article, the DR is receiving RD$760 MILLION IN COINS, and not $101 million. Maybe the typesetter created the article's headline. The real crisis isn't lack of having coins, it's a lack of education.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Very good observation, but I think the problem has to do with the English version of the paper. Either a bad translator or as you said lack of education. The possibility of both does exist. I looked up the Spanish version and the headline says.....

RD recibir? 101 millones m?s en monedas para final de a?o

Para la fecha esperan 40 millones de unidades de un peso; 23 millones de cinco pesos; 23 millones de 10 pesos y 15 millones de 25 pesos, lo que suman 101 millones en monedas, con lo que deber?a quedar resuelta la crisis que viene desde el 2007.

As you can see the original Spanish print was not referring to the peso amount but to actual number of coins.

RD recibir? 101 millones m?s en monedas para final de a?o - DiarioLibre.com

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Update

1,5,25 and some 10's have arrived and banks have them. Yipeeeeeee

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Now that they are here and i am finding most banks and stores have them. Any chance Playero could get some???????????????????????????

BObK

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Now that they are here and i am finding most banks and stores have them. Any chance Playero could get some???????????????????????????

BObK

Depends how much candy they have left I guess. :)