Dominican-American girl who thoroughly dislikes Dominican music

Lasata

Aug 24, 2008
Hi everyone I'm Ana and I am new to this forum. I'm from NJ/NY but all my family is from DR and even though I have grown up in a predominately White area, I have listened to Dominican music ALL my life. I have always been detached to most things Dominican and I really couldn't explain why. It wasn't until I saw Junot Diaz, a Dominican writer on PBS talking about music in DR. He said that to Dominicans, music is like religion. Finally it all made sense to me; but not even liking Dominican music, I was the ultimate pariah. However hard I try, I DO NOT like it! I have grown up with it all my life but its no use. I love Luis Miguel and Tango music that have lovely lyrics and nice melodies (things which are not common in Dominican music). Can someone help me with this? I don't feel ashamed AT ALL about not liking DR music but its very hard making other Dominicans even fathom this.

Colombiana

Jun 27, 2008
Don't feel too bad, Lasata. I've also grown up listening to "ballenatos" (typical Colombian music) and can't stand the sound of it! I prefer sweet boleros and tangos.
Also, am a big lover of classical and opera. You and I belong to a new generation that can appreciate good music rgardless of how old it is (or we are), or where it comes from.
Don't worry about what others think about your taste in music. It's what moves your soul that counts.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hi everyone I'm Ana and I am new to this forum. I'm from NJ/NY but all my family is from DR and even though I have grown up in a predominately White area, I have listened to Dominican music ALL my life. I have always been detached to most things Dominican and I really couldn't explain why. It wasn't until I saw Junot Diaz, a Dominican writer on PBS talking about music in DR. He said that to Dominicans, music is like religion. Finally it all made sense to me; but not even liking Dominican music, I was the ultimate pariah. However hard I try, I DO NOT like it! I have grown up with it all my life but its no use. I love Luis Miguel and Tango music that have lovely lyrics and nice melodies (things which are not common in Dominican music). Can someone help me with this? I don't feel ashamed AT ALL about not liking DR music but its very hard making other Dominicans even fathom this.

Don't feel bad. A good number of dominicans listen to baladas and other latin music. Not all dominicans only listen to omega, luis vargas or antony santos. Many fine dominicans listen to other latin american music and as well has english music, even 70's rock. Artists like Duran duran and sting fill up large places way ahead of the concert dates. Alejandro fernandez is going to fill up a large stadium on 30th of this month in santo domingo.
AZB

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I feel the same way as you do, and I always feel a little bad when my dominican friends invite me to parties and ask me to dance Merengue and Bachata...don't like those kinds of music. At least I hate the merengue de calle that you hear these days.

I am curious though, what tango artists do you like to listen to?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ana,

Don't feel bad at all. One of my brother's hates Merengue, Salsa, Bachata. And like you, he has grown up with it all his life. There is a saying that to each his own and in Spanish "y para el gusto se hicieron los colores."

Colombiana - just because you think merengue, salsa or bachata isn't good music doesn't mean it's not good. It's just a matter of preference. Without getting into a huge argument over this...Bachata listeners will prob think that classical and/or tango is bad music while you will have Bachata listeners who think it is lovely. So it's all about musical taste.

I for one listen to EVERYTHING!!! When I say everything I mean EVERYTHING. From metal, to tango. From techno to Cumbia. I'm a music freak LOL.

S

sokitoumi

you should never try to like something just because everyone around you makes you feel guilty about liking something else......real music evolves and pushes bounderies other wise we would all still be listening to slim whitman and doris day

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Lasata, that is what makes you an individual, you like what you like and you are not following the crowd. You've been exposed to different cultures and sounds and like most people in your situation, when your surroundings are broaden, your tastes change.

Aug 25, 2008
Hey, I totally understand the not being into a lot of the actual merengue / bachata. I have been in the D.R. since I was 11 years old, and I still haven't acquired a taste for a lot of it. However, artists like Juan Luis Guerra totally change your perceptions - you realize it not the actual music you don't like, it's how its played and the lyrics that go along. And Juan Luis has some very nice boleros, as do other Dominican singers. Remember, we are also the land of Rafael Solano and Michael Camilo, so you not liking merengue and bachata doesn't mean you don't appreciate "Dominican" music.

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Lasata, I was born in the DR and came to the US when I was 12 years old. So, I've heard my share of merengue and bachatas. I prefer to listen to 90's RnB, Rock en Espa?ol, Latin Jazz (my favorite) and Brazilian Ballads. When it comes to Dominican music, I like the bachatas and merengues from Juan Luis Guerra, these actually have lyrics!!! I do not like the "mambo" merengues. Nonetheless, when is time to party if the DJ pops up with some lovey dovey merengue, people would just look at him, and give them the face.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
finally a soul mate! ;)

i cannot bear dominican music. here, i said it. to me it sounds just like songs my parents - or any other old bats :cheeky: - would like and dance to it in some old fashioned restaurant on a linoleum floor, along with other patients of geriatrics unit. gross!
what make s it even worse (my dislike for dominican music, not the music itself) is how loud it is being played (i think my neighbours play it extra loud to drown howling of their children, it ain't workin'!).
luckily bachata, merengue and salsa all sound EXACTLY the same to me, it's just like one long boring song that never sticks. :bunny:

i actually have poor taste in music anyways, i'm afraid. :ermm: i can't even say i like opera - i would it it wasn't for the actual singing. i prefer to stay with my low-class crush for "music" produced by britney spears and the likes of her, thank you.

to make it more dominican - since i am a gringa - miesposo prefers american rock to any dominican music. and thank's god for that....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

I understand, but not every Dominican performer or singer just sings Mambo, Rap or Reggaeton, you have our very own Juan Luis Guerra singing a lot of beatiful songs, also there is Wazon Brazoban and Pavel Nunez who makes a nice alternative for those who doesn?t want to spend the rest of his life listening to Sujeto and his ?con cotorra no?.

There are a lot of more Dominican artist who sings a variety of genres and a few of them are excellent at it. You just have to look for them....

Creativethouhts

Apr 25, 2005
I completly agree music is a matter of choice and each genere has its historical context and connection and a story to tell and like you I love it all I am a fan of words and rhythm and therefore do not relate to disliking a type of music, more to disliking an artist or his or her lyrics plus I love to shake it as much as I love my melancolia!