Help me with my next trip?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hello everyone.

I'll be visiting the DR next month and will like some suggestions on sight seeing. My trips have mostly been only about parties and going to the beach.

After giving up the hobby, I recently got back into photography (heavily). I'd like to hear from you what are really nice places/sceneries to take pictures in (mostly) Santiago/Cibao region? There is the monument, camp david, centro leon, the cathethral in Santiago, colonial zone in Santiago.

What else is worth making a visit to for photos?

Hopefully Mr. Hillbilly can grace this post with his knowledge :)

Any advice welcome...

Reactions: Frank the Tank

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I can hardly think of a place in the DR that is not photogenic. If you have the eye, you will be able to take great pictures regardless where you go.

May 12, 2005
Take the road from Santiago to San Jose de las Matas and take pictures as you go up the mountain. Breathtaking views and scenery.

S

sokitoumi

jarabacoa is easy reach from santiago- good scenery and another plus is it has nice tarmac to drive on

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When you get here, give me a call and we'll take a little run around town.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The area Jacagua Arriba north of town is quite scenic and will make for some nice pictures. It is only 10 min from Camp David more or less. The is also a scenic water fall not far from the Jacagua Arriba cuartel (or so as I've been told.)

For a different change from the clubs, try out El Gran Teatro on Mondays, I understand it is open to different types of bands and the cover is only RD100 and the beer is relativley cheap. I understand the music is salsa, bolero, old merengue etc. I believe it may be for the older crowd. I haven't been in person but an acquaintance at the golf course told me about it.

Nice beach pictures can be taken at Costambar as this water is generally clear and the beach clean.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks all for your advice.

HB - I will certainly take you your offer :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
The photos I like of the DR are of the people! Sure i like to see some of the scenic stuff...but I like seeing faces of the locals.

For scenic shots I think it would be great to see stuff that the average tourist (myself included) would not ordinarily see. Perhaps give me some ideas of different places to go and see for myself.

michela0022

Aug 22, 2008
El Tigre
I have to agree with Frank the Tank, I just took that trip on Aug 15th from Santiago to San Jose de las Matas and it is spectacular but make sure you do it on a clear day. When you reach the top of the mountain you feel like your heaven. If you decide to make that trip, I would love to see those pictures.