Recently expired passport

Aug 25, 2008
Can anyone tell me if they let a U.S. citizen travel to the U.S. with an expired passport? My mother just realized her passport expired this 23rd of August and she has a flight for the 13th of september. From what I've been told, to renovate a passport now at the Consulado takes approx. 3 weeks to a month, so there's no time for that. Some people have told me they would probably let her pass, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had the actual experience.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Can anyone tell me if they let a U.S. citizen travel to the U.S. with an expired passport? My mother just realized her passport expired this 23rd of August and she has a flight for the 13th of september. From what I've been told, to renovate a passport now at the Consulado takes approx. 3 weeks to a month, so there's no time for that. Some people have told me they would probably let her pass, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had the actual experience.

Yes she can, they're just going to tell her to renew it before she leave the U.S. no big deal.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Can anyone tell me if they let a U.S. citizen travel to the U.S. with an expired passport?

Since you are in the Dominican Republic it does not hurt to get info from the horses mouth. Try the following numbers.....

US Embassy in Santo Domingo 809-221-2171
US Counselor Agency in Puerto Plata 809-586-4204,8017,8023.

Good luck