Calling from DR to US

taizahra

Aug 25, 2008
What is the cheapest way to make long calls from the DR back to the US..from Sosua area?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As posted above, skype as well as Vonage and a few other voip (voice over internet provider) services will be offer the cheapest calls from the DR to the US cell and land lines and most EU land lines.

Yet, with a DR Orange cell phone (I don't know about Claro) you can call US cell and land lines and some European countries' land lines at the same rate as calling to a land line within the DR.

.. J-D.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
go to www.magicjack.com the magic jack attaches to your usb port and after your initial investment of $40 US all calls to the US and canada are free. for another 20 us - you have two years of calls - works great!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A call center is usually RD4 or RD5 a minute to call The States, which amounts to about $USD2 for a 15 minute call. It won't cost much more using a calling card and a local cell phone. DO NOT roam on your US phone, that gets expensive. You can hook up an old unlocked phone for free and have a local line using calling cards.

There are tons of threads on this site, if you search, on cell phones.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use inphonex voip phone, one pays for installation but actual costs of calls are next to nothing.

HaleyKate2

Jul 7, 2008
My boyfriend is in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic and I was going broke calling him from Skype since it's .172 a minute (US) to his cell phone. So after some research I have found some other way that are much cheaper.

Yahoo messenger is .09/min to 809/829 cell.

Phonico Dialer (cloncom.com) is .02/min to 829 cell and I believe .09/min to 809 cell. It doesn't work 100% of the time but I usually have pretty decent luck.

If you want to use a US cell to call a DR cell I found the Virgin Mobile is pretty cheap. You can get a cheap phone and a pay as you go account. It is .15/min plus regular air time. You can also text message. I get 200 for $4.99.

I am starting to become an expert on visiting and calling the Dominican Republic. :)

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
there's a program - and for the life of me i can't remember the name - where you pay like 200 pesos a month and can call 10 US phone numbers unlimited style. i know people who love it. but, does anyone know the name?

taizahra

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks, I have Skype, but find that the quality is not always reliable. I'll look into Orange because I want an option that's not super expensive that doesn't require being pinned to a computer...a cell phone option.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thanks, I have Skype, but find that the quality is not always reliable. I'll look into Orange because I want an option that's not super expensive that doesn't require being pinned to a computer...a cell phone option.

Well sure, skype is not always of the best or most reliable quality, that's true, although it's just getting better and better.
On the other, neither is Oranges or most any other cell phone company here really of excellent quality or reliability.
After a while you will learn to balance both systems and also remember that not so long ago, we all used to have a home phone which would just ring and ring when we were not home.

... J-D.

ForeverOne

Apr 23, 2008
I have Flash Voz from Codetel and it was a workout to get it up and running but it was worth it. I pay 500 pesos a month for a US phone line and i can call unlimited. When they call me from the US it's a local call for them. You need to use their internet service and that is a separate fee however!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have a Claro DR phone, and calling the US on it is pricey!

I don't know what you consider pricey, but as was stated earlier, calls to the US are at the same rate as calling someone across the street in the DR. Somewhere around RD6/min.

For someone who needs to make a lot of calls from the DR to North America and has a good internet connection, I think magicjack is a great option.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The magicjack has alot of echo and delay on both sides calling to the States. It's cheap to buy but the delays and echos don't really make it a viable option. Will try Skype next.