violence in boca chica

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
i just got off the phone with my friend who lives in san pedro de macoris and he tells me that its open season of foreigners in boca chica. says they're shooting at least one a week. says an italian was shot a killed just a few days ago. i'm going down there wednesday and would like to know. anybody else heard anything like this? t

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Boca Chica has always been one of the more violent places in the country. But many of the shootings are related to drugs, prostitution or other types of crime. I would not go so far to say one foreigner a week. If you are going on holiday there and you are sensible then you should have no more problems than anywhere else.

matilda

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
boca chica

sorry to sound like an alarmist. have been to the dr many times with no trouble at all. just that my friend says there has been much more violence recently. was wondering if its a trend or just like anywhere else, crime happens everywhere. t

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
sorry to sound like an alarmist. have been to the dr many times with no trouble at all. just that my friend says there has been much more violence recently. was wondering if its a trend or just like anywhere else, crime happens everywhere. t

All that been said rental prices in BC sound kinda strange. Recently on DR.1 it was quoted $2 000 - $ 1600 /month, one bedroom. Almost three (if not four) times higher than an average rent price in much safer and cleaner Sosua.

Anyone can suggest any explanation to this weird phenomenon?

I planned a trip with my guests to show them Carribean side, and had to cancel it because of unreasonable rent cost.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
All that been said rental prices in BC sound kinda strange. Recently on DR.1 it was quoted $2 000 - $ 1600 /month, one bedroom. Almost three (if not four) times higher than an average rent price in much safer and cleaner Sosua.

I planned a trip with my guests to show them Carribean side, and had to cancel it because of unreasonable rent cost.

Boca Chica has just one big hotel and a few small ones but, the town is always full of tourists and semi-retired people living there for several months a year.
There is probably a shortage of rooms and apartments for rent hence the high prices.

barbara.w.

Zapped
May 15, 2008
The End in BC

So the gist of these posts is that there seems to be a high demand in getting killed at Boca Chica. :tired:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
So the gist of these posts is that there seems to be a high demand in getting killed at Boca Chica. :tired:

Thinks not. Each victim up to the last moment believes that it will be someone else. Not him. Somebody else.

But it will be him.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

I can explain that. When the number of clients is going down the price is going up. This is to compensate for reduced income because of the decreasing number of clients. Example: Number of clients going down from 10 to 5 the price is going up from 500 to 1000, simple. This phenomenon is called Reverse Logic and is very common.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
when i visit boca chica the men are never my focus anyway.:laugh: i never really hang down on calle duarte at night anyway. have some dinner, grab me a chica and i'm back at the el candil enjoying the moonlight on my balcony....

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Caution

Boca Chica has deteriorated over the past 25 years, transforming itself into a depressed center for drugs, prostitution and what usually comes with that territory. The local street walkers are well aware of the allure that brings intl tourists to the local sex trade, and many of these tourists fall prey to what appears to be a very loose and liberal environment, unaware of the traps they will encounter and the risk they run in the process.
Duped into "friendships" with locals that can set them up, they are unaware of the depths of desperation in the DR, and how this transfers into violence and eventually at times the ultimate price. It is a dangerous place- that is a fact. Tourism is better served on the east coast, in well guarded and protected resorts and other more quiet towns. This said, the risks are everywhere, and tourists must understand that while the Dominican people are wonderful and friendly, there is an element that is the bottom of the ladder that tends to flock to Boca Chica.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I've never had a problem in B.C. but I did some research before i went there and act accordingly. Yes...i have seen some stuff go on. But personally i have never felt a threat. Like kyle...calle duarte holds little interest to me. I might go out for one or two drinks...but its pretty boring. I dont find it to be a threat tho. THere is one hooker bar and the rest of the street is full of euro families.

One just has to use a little bit of sence. Dont use the ATM at 12 am...dont wear flashy jewelry and dont talk to the tigres who call out "my frien my frien". I have been going there for years so I know who's who and what's what.

My biggest piece of advice...is if that you DO go there. sit back and OBSERVE what is going on. If you behave like trash then that is what you will meet. Other than that one block and one bar with the hookers (and drugs)...its a pretty quiet place.

I will ask my friend when he calls about any upturn in violence against tourists. I think it is highly doubtful as there is a pretty strong police presence on the calle.

Feb 15, 2005
Boca Chica is renown for it's hookers. So if you go there it's usually only for one thing because the beach sucks and there's nothing else worth mentioning. No clubs, no golf, no great shopping, nothing but hookers nad drugs. So you make the call.

Anyway, there are much more attractive locations such as the southwest and Barahona, or the mountains in Jarabacoa etc.

It all depends what you are looking for. Me personally, I went once and NEVER again, it's pretty much garbage.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So if you go there it's usually only for one thing because the beach sucks and there's nothing else worth mentioning.

Puerto Caucedo is one of the most beautiful sunsets in the Caribbean, other than Newark, NJ ... where else in the world can you enjoy such a vista? After a day @ the beach, there is nothing quite like watching the sun set over an LNG tank and the cranes of the megaport.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Puerto Caucedo is one of the most beautiful sunsets in the Caribbean, other than Newark, NJ ... where else in the world can you enjoy such a vista? After a day @ the beach, there is nothing quite like watching the sun set over an LNG tank and the cranes of the megaport.

unless one decides to hop on a guagua and go to guyacannes or playa caribe (just about ten mins away). There is also a very nice (and expensive) golf course @ guavaberry about 15 mins away.

BC has really changed over the past few years (and there is major develpment going on currently). Sure there are still hookers at ONE bar...but there are a lot of families hanging out on the calle at night.

There are quieter and prettier beaches. But for some it is just an easy get-a-way and myself i do like to people watch...and there is much eye candy on the playa. I also like the fact that it is close to the capital so I can get in some real night life in (not just hanging with other travelers or an animation team or watching the guys doing the chica chase).

Oh...and back to the original topic. I just talked to my friend down there today and he has not heard of any major up-tick in crime against tourists. Just the usual pick-pockets etc which is in every touristy area.

BC is pretty small...and there is a very strong security presence around. The motochonchos all have to have a special permit etc. the main tourist area is only about 10 square blocks (if that). within that area one is pretty safe.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
unless one decides to hop on a guagua and go to guyacannes or playa caribe (just about ten mins away). There is also a very nice (and expensive) golf course @ guavaberry about 15 mins away.

BC has really changed over the past few years (and there is major develpment going on currently). Sure there are still hookers at ONE bar...but there are a lot of families hanging out on the calle at night.

There are quieter and prettier beaches. But for some it is just an easy get-a-way and myself i do like to people watch...and there is much eye candy on the playa. I also like the fact that it is close to the capital so I can get in some real night life in (not just hanging with other travelers or an animation team or watching the guys doing the chica chase).

Oh...and back to the original topic. I just talked to my friend down there today and he has not heard of any major up-tick in crime against tourists. Just the usual pick-pockets etc which is in every touristy area.

BC is pretty small...and there is a very strong security presence around. The motochonchos all have to have a special permit etc. the main tourist area is only about 10 square blocks (if that). within that area one is pretty safe.

One has just to keep their street smarts on at all times!!!.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I can explain that. When the number of clients is going down the price is going up. This is to compensate for reduced income because of the decreasing number of clients. Example: Number of clients going down from 10 to 5 the price is going up from 500 to 1000, simple. This phenomenon is called Reverse Logic and is very common.

So, if I do not want to pay $1000US for the month he will better have it empty with no money at all, than to have $500 from me? $500 is better than $0, not true?

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

From the top of my head. Five Europeans shot or stabbed to death the last couple of years. Four Italians and one German. Two of them were regular tourists, the other three residents. I'm not speculating in the reason behind I'm just adding these facts to the bigger picture. Over and out.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
So, if I do not want to pay $1000US for the month he will better have it empty with no money at all, than to have $500 from me?

If you can grasp this concept you are on your way to understanding how some things work in the DR.

$500 is better than $0, not true?

Exactly. Not true at all. Not in the DR.;)