I couldn't resist posting this...ONLY in the DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only found out yesterday that one has to paid for the post mortem in DR (of course "one" in this case is a family, not the "object" of PM).
i wonder how many murders go unnoticed because no autopsy is carries? "died of a heart attack/food poisoning" - and who would even know said heart failure/food problem was caused by medicine/poison given to the victim?
possibilities to kill and get away with it are endless in DR!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Remolacha.net: Video:Se robaron muerto del hospital en motoconcho

Family steals the body of a family member from the morgue in La Vega because they couldn't afford the $5,000 autopsy bill.

Does this belong in the CLOWN BIN??? hahahahahahaha HOLLY CRAP!!!
I understand the apparent stupidity of this scenario but would extend the story to explain the dilemma of the family. Hopefully this will then show that this is no joking matter & allow us to see the family's need to resort to such means.

My understanding is that the 'victim' was caught in crossfire between the police & some tigueres. The victim was taken to the hospital for the necessary post mortem which the family was unable to pay for (And why SHOULD they if the victim was shot by officials of the State??).

The family wanted to bury their relative but the hospital refused to release the body until the post mortem was performed - no money from State or relatives ...... No release of body! Under these circumstances, should not the post mortem have been paid for by the police?? Should not the State own up to their responsibilities & ensure the required autopsy was carried out & paid for BY THE STATE?? Is there NO facility in circumstances of this nature whereby the Municipality or Authority concerned HAS to pick up the tab??

Seems to me as though there should be Mr. Mayor or Mr. Police Chief!! YOU (through your officers) shot this man - YOU are responsible for ensuring his family is able to have the body returned for a dignified burial!:eek:gre:! ~ Grahame.

Reactions: BermudaRum

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Great point Grahame. But still funny to me. Sorry : - ) Reminded me of the movie Weekend at Bernie's where they were lugging Bernie's body around lol.

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
Shame about the family - victims twice over.

This reveals so much about Dominicana. No the Police will not pay a penny for anything they cause - they hardly prevent any crime and even applaud bad behaviour (not to mention that in Santo Domingo, locals can do what they want but foreigners are targetted by Police - it's a revenue generation thing!). If the Police cause a problem, the best anyone can hope for is that they will not then charge for resolving it. (Anyone who's ever asked Dominicana Police for help must surely have experienced the open hand that follows - asking for money!).

As to how to commit murder and get away with it - worrying about autopsies is so over the top. In Dominicana, you can do whatever you want to, including murder, and then you pay someone so as not to be punished (assuming that there's so much evidence that anyone will even consider punishing you). It's that simple and that corrupt. No crime's beyond this and no crime is unaffordable, even for the poorest locals! {Solisdad}

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shame about the family - victims twice over.

This reveals so much about Dominicana. No the Police will not pay a penny for anything they cause - they hardly prevent any crime and even applaud bad behaviour (not to mention that in Santo Domingo, locals can do what they want but foreigners are targetted by Police - it's a revenue generation thing!). If the Police cause a problem, the best anyone can hope for is that they will not then charge for resolving it. (Anyone who's ever asked Dominicana Police for help must surely have experienced the open hand that follows - asking for money!).

As to how to commit murder and get away with it - worrying about autopsies is so over the top. In Dominicana, you can do whatever you want to, including murder, and then you pay someone so as not to be punished (assuming that there's so much evidence that anyone will even consider punishing you). It's that simple and that corrupt. No crime's beyond this and no crime is unaffordable, even for the poorest locals! {Solisdad}

I'm not even going to say what is burning in me to say, because I think by now you already know..........
SHALENA

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i heard about this case also on local tv. the story supposedly has another twist....that this young man caught in this so called 'crossfire' was also a delinquent with a previous rap sheet. the young man was actually placed under arrest and taken by the police [not sure if that video is up, but i saw a clip of it on youtube]. while in 'police custody' he suddenly died because he was caught in some crossfire? sounds VERY suspicious....and on top of that the morgue had the nerve to want to charge the victim's family $15,000 RD to release the body post autopsy....according to Dominican law, the family is not required to pay for those costs [recent law change, again supposedly] and that there were several opportunists at play here [the morgue, the police for not helping out]....on top of that, how they got by police security to actually breal a lock and get the body still baffles me.
AND GET ALL THIS ON FILM AND ON YOUTUBE! [sad story yes, but i se El Tigre's humor in this as it is unbeleiveable that they took this young man's body away on a motoconcho.....]

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
i
AND GET ALL THIS ON FILM AND ON YOUTUBE! [sad story yes, but i se El Tigre's humor in this as it is unbeleiveable that they took this young man's body away on a motoconcho.....]

Weekend at Bernie's? Lol

wow that's material for a movie.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
PLEASE people, my post was not done to start a 'Police Corruption' response -we have enough threads available on that subject that can be re-kindled any time you want. My post was simply to expand on the reasons of what at first would appear a bizarre & ludicrous picture & to show that the family really had no alternative if they wanted to see their relative buried!

i.e. It was a SERIOUS event to them & not one to be treated lightheartedly. Financial responsibility by the authorities would have been welcome (though unexpected) but compounding the pain of the family by not allowing the body to be released for burial was TOTALLY immoral in my book! ~ Grahame.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The video starts with scenes showing armed, uniform men.

Then they disappear and the family enters and takes the body.
Which is sitting in the middle of the room close to the door.
Just a little suspicious?

10qibex.gif

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, well, i'll be the evil one - i think the whole action was hilarious. and very interesting as far as the approach to the body goes and how non-ceremonial the family was towards the corpse.

i thought only in DR but then i remembered a small boy who died in a hospital ward where my friend was a nurse (hematology ward, in polish hospital). first the family did not pick up the body for a week and then they showed up completely sloshed with an old truck but without a coffin. they just tossed a boy inside (he was about 5 years old so rather a small body) and drove off.

i wondered what happened to a dead dude from the video? now half of the world know who stole the body, will family be prosecuted? will they be able to legally bury the dude? or will they just hide the body somewhere, bury in the backyard, i don't know...

granted that i think the government should pay for post mortem, just like in europe.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
This was an ultimate act of desperation, perhaps one of a kind on video, my deepest condolences go out to the family,imagine how horrifying this must of been for them.

The woman on the moto holding the deceased in her arms and trying to keep him propped up with her own body, the kids going in to take the body, Wow..I'm in disbelief. If it were I , I'd need therapy for years...This is very sad.

They were on a mission, showed no emotions just went and and did what they had to do.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
oh, well, i'll be the evil one - i think the whole action was hilarious. and very interesting as far as the approach to the body goes and how non-ceremonial the family was towards the corpse.

i thought only in DR but then i remembered a small boy who died in a hospital ward where my friend was a nurse (hematology ward, in polish hospital). first the family did not pick up the body for a week and then they showed up completely sloshed with an old truck but without a coffin. they just tossed a boy inside (he was about 5 years old so rather a small body) and drove off.

i wondered what happened to a dead dude from the video? now half of the world know who stole the body, will family be prosecuted? will they be able to legally bury the dude? or will they just hide the body somewhere, bury in the backyard, i don't know...

granted that i think the government should pay for post mortem, just like in europe.

I'll bet the government won't even try to get the body back, because i know that the whole BARRIO will fight the police if they even try.

Don't be dramatic, the body will be bury in the cementery like any where in the world.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is nothing funny about this family's loss and mistreatment.

I agree.

Does this belong in the CLOWN BIN??? hahahahahahaha HOLLY CRAP!!!

I know you sort of aplogised later, El Tigre, but could I enquire why you started the thread in this fashion? I know Dominicans are good at laughing at themselves. Is that what you were doing? Or nervous laughter perhaps? Or ghoulish laughter? I'm curious as to why. With the greatest of respect to your viewpoint I find the manner of posting disrespectful to an agonising decision which the family had to make. Why didn't you just post it as a news item and leave it at that? Was there a good reason which I'm too slow to see?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I think there is a reason. It is hilariously funny in one of those ways that releases human tension. The way humans have always released tension through laughter, appropriate or not.

I believe El Tigre understands this. The whole episode reminds me of my very overweight dead uncle falling out of the coffin on the way to the cemetary. The coffin broke at the bottom. People cried, screamed, fainted and some of us laughed. Same thing as crying, screaming or fainting - the way different people deal with incomprehensible circumstances. Way beyond fight or flight -- inordinate pressure on the human psyche.

No this is not DR related but the question was asked. El Tigre, I think your way.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'll bet the government won't even try to get the body back, because i know that the whole BARRIO will fight the police if they even try.
Don't be dramatic, the body will be bury in the cementery like any where in the world.

so that's it? why all the drama then? getting to the morgue at night, stone in hands, motoconcho? all this stinks (how this word fits!) for a mile, someone there could surely afford a cell with a good camera or a camera itself to film all event plus all cables and such needed to upload it to youtube yet there was no one even with and old beaten up car to take the body. instead they put on a family show with a moto...
and looks like they have money to bury the body, that surely costs something, does it not? :tired:
yet again the government loses to some poor tigres from the barrio who will get away with no punishment and who will have the last laugh.