HELP Moving to DR in Jan. 09-Where do I begin?

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
I am planning on moving to Santo Domingo to attend medical school at UNIBE in Jan. 09. I have never been to DR, but plan to visit in November. I will be coming alone and I am totally lost as to how I should begin things. I don't know much Spanish and I have found it very difficult to find information about the school itself besides what is on the school website as well as valuemd. I have lived in other countries before so I am very adaptable, I just need more information on Santo Domingo from people who actually live there as well as information about UNIBE. I would especially love to hear from non-Spanish speaking people from the US about their transition to the DR, although any other input is much appreciated and needed.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am planning on moving to Santo Domingo to attend medical school at UNIBE in Jan. 09. I have never been to DR, but plan to visit in November. I will be coming alone and I am totally lost as to how I should begin things. I don't know much Spanish and I have found it very difficult to find information about the school itself besides what is on the school website as well as valuemd. I have lived in other countries before so I am very adaptable, I just need more information on Santo Domingo from people who actually live there as well as information about UNIBE. I would especially love to hear from non-Spanish speaking people from the US about their transition to the DR, although any other input is much appreciated and needed.

Not to worry-- UNIBE if full of US students so you will be surrounded. I hope that they will give you some help in finding an apartment. SD is a fine, major city-- with neighborhoods as varied as any big city- so you can go from a really poor barrio to very high end mansions. You?ll find it more provincial in restuarants than most US cities-- ie. no Thai restaurants! no little coffee houses to hang out in! Your biggest shock will most likely be the NOISE.. it is a loud country, bring earplugs, how they crowd into the public transport (why is that?), the garbage on the streets (Does not mean that their homes are dirty), but FEAR not.. (well, fear a little -- I mean, engage brain... this is a poor country) but you will have lots of company. Start on your Spanish. NOW

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008

Thank you for the encouraging words. I have visited many third world countries so trash on the street and noise is not a problem. My only concern is safety. In many countries I have visited it is impossible to just go as a "tourist" without knowing someone, and that is one of my fears..Thanks again for the response, keep them coming :). One more thing what are the demographics of the foreign students?

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
OMG there is a girl I know who's husband will be attending med school in the fall!!! She is a non spanish speaking girl with no clue of DR, by the time you get there, I think she will have some words of wisdom for you!!! Let me email her an see how I can get you 2 together!!

PM if you want a dominicans pooint of view lol
Sunshine

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i have been to santo domingo many times.It is noisy at night and very hot at certain times of the year in the summer months.
there are beautiful areas and not so beautiful areas.
Along the malecon there is plenty to see.
The people are friendly/Walking at night alone is not advised.Air conditioning is a must here.The power and water is not plentiful.Depending where you are living.
You will bargain for taxi and car rides as usually when they see a tourist it is always more.There are good people and bad everywhere.Pickpocketing and theft is common.You just neeed to keep your eyes open and be careful on the road when walking etc.
there is alot of traffic and people dont follow the rules of the road.
i think you will enjoy it ,and learn much by living there.
good luck in your move
there is a company here that will ship every content of your home there
they are located in toronto
its called sea jamaica but ships to the dominican as well
there number is 416-674-5330

mishuletta

Sep 22, 2007
hi

well first of all, let me tell u that i was born in the dominican republic and that i attended UNIBE. so as a source, i think im pretty reliable. :)

anyway, to tell u a bit about santo domingo first:

it is true that there r many cases of people in motorcycles grabbing and stealing other people's purses, so when u r walking, just hold on to it consciously. same goes for ur cel phone, if u r speaking on it on the streets, mind ur surroundings and if there is someone suspicious just hold onto it tighter just in case.

it is not recommended to walk by urself at night. public transit REALLY SUCKS. it can get u around and its really cheap, like the equivalent of 50 cents maybe, but the cars are in veeeeeeeery bad conditions, and there r no regards for the safety of the passengers. lets just say they fit 2 people in the passenger's seat, and 4 in the back. and nobody has seatbelts. but also, in comparison to the states or canada, (i dont know where u r from), taxis are pretty cheap. but since u dont speak spanish, they might try to rip u off, so learn some spanish insults and pretend to leave, and they will call u back and lower the price. ;)

nightclubs are really fun if u r interested in those things, the nightlife during the weekend can really be felt. but the problem is that the dominican society works around reputation, so people like to flaunt their money, clothes, and the high society people are quite snobby.

now, about UNIBE,

it is the most expensive university in the country, so most of the students there are from the high society. u will see that all the girls go with pounds of makeup and high heels, and are quite snobby, but even though it sounds like its kind of bad, it's actually very fun if u become part of it. i know it sounds shallow, but u will understand when u will get there.

most students who r enrolled in the english medicine program are from india and puerto rico actually. (either that, or those r the only ones ive seen hanging around). they are less of the snobby type because they are not that tied to the dominican culture, so u can also find refugee there :p

about renting, there are many many maaany apartment buildings surrounding the university, im pretty sure u wont have a hard time finding one. i think u will spend around 300 or 400 dollars in rent (the area is not very expensive, as opposed to the more southern part of the city).

most students in unibe have cars, and it is actually much easier to get around the city in a car, so if u can afford it, i'd recommend u get one. insurance is not very expensive as in the states or canada. (btw, i am living in canada now, thats how i know.)

well good luck! hope that i have been helpful!