Bringing fresh meat into the DR

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I'm wondering what, if any rules or laws apply to bringing fresh (frozen) meat into the DR?

Also any suggestions as how to package it?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I'm wondering what, if any rules or laws apply to bringing fresh (frozen) meat into the DR?

I have had people bring me meat successfully on two occassions now.

The customs agent saw the meat and said " Is this all you have" and they said yes and let it pass. They also brought me a Webber grill " Smokey Joe"

Both parties froze the meat which will not thaw at 30,000 ft.

One put it in a smaller cooler with frozen jell paks.

One came from Toronto and the other from Florida and the meat arrived fully frozen.

I will be enjoying a NY strip tonight

BTW, anyone that wants to bring Beef to Sosua like this, I will pay double what you paid for the beef.

Aug 21, 2007
We regularly bring Omaha steaks here in a little cooler. It is surprising how many filets or strips fit into a small cooler. Sometimes we even put the cooler inside another suitcase. At times, the customs agents open the cooler. Never have they questioned us about the contents.

Lindsey

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I know plenty of people that have don't it and do it. Just don't get caught :)

Lucky for us we have a couple of Omaha Steak shops in Santo Domingo.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's more expensive, but we have 2 stores. I also believe they are opening in Santiago.

You can get good meat here, you just need to know where to buy it and be prepared to pay more than you would in the USA.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
It's more expensive, but we have 2 stores. I also believe they are opening in Santiago.

You can get good meat here, you just need to know where to buy it and be prepared to pay more than you would in the USA.

Could you provide us with their contact info please?

I am sure they can put an order on the Bus

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Northeastern corner of Churchill and Roberto Pastoriza at the bottom of the mall next to Yogen Fruz. The other one is on the corner of Privada and Betancourt, opposite corner to Scotia Bank.

Chef Pepper also have some good meat. They deliver all over Santo Domingo COD and now have a store on Gustavo Mejia Ricart.

Cheff Pepper. 809 565 4068

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Northeastern corner of Churchill and Roberto Pastoriza at the bottom of the mall next to Yogen Fruz. The other one is on the corner of Privada and Betancourt, opposite corner to Scotia Bank.

Chef Pepper also have some good meat. They deliver all over Santo Domingo COD and now have a store on Gustavo Mejia Ricart.

Cheff Pepper. 809 565 4068

Thanks,

What I was looking for was a telephone number for Omaha steaks and or a website in Santo Domingo.

Directions to Santo Domingo are of little use to me.

But appreciate the effort.

Aug 21, 2007
Omaha Steaks in Santo Domingo???? Wonderful news, Robert.

I looked it up in the phone book......something I rarely do here in the DR. And, yes, they are listed.

They are called Omaha Gourmet.

The number for the one on Churchill is (809) 732-1578.

A second listing on Privada 38A is (809) 482-1147.

Mike l, if you call them and get information, PM me. Perhaps we can make an order together.

Lindsey

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002

Just take that Prime Rib out of the freezer, wrap it with plastic wrap to keep the juices from getting on your clothes and put it in the middle of your suitcase. It won't spoil in the 12 hours it takes to get here.
Bring some of those Cheese Danish also.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Just take that Prime Rib out of the freezer, wrap it with plastic wrap to keep the juices from getting on your clothes and put it in the middle of your suitcase. It won't spoil in the 12 hours it takes to get here.
Bring some of those Cheese Danish also.

Now here's a prime example of a good Dominican friend. He's willing to risk someone else doing jail time simply for a slice of prime rib. What a guy!!! :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Reactions: El Viejo

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
We regularly bring a big ham with us in our carry on (weighs about 12 lbs) from Toronto to POP and never have a problem. The reason we put it in our carry on is because the weight restrictions are now so low on most airlines that we need our suitcase space for clothes, etc. The good thing about bringing the ham is that it is smoked so for the five hours that it's not in the freezer or fridge, it's fine. We have more looks leaving Toronto with a big ham in our carry on that we ever have in POP.

I would be interested to know where people buy good quality U.S./Canada style meats in POP - particularly steak? I usually buy it at the regular supermarkets and have to do all the usual prep work to get it tenderized so it's not as tough as rubber.

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
Now here's a prime example of a good Dominican friend. He's willing to risk someone else doing jail time simply for a slice of prime rib. What a guy!!! :ermm::ermm::ermm:

I've made arangements that if you get busted the Prime Rib will be released to my custody.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I've made arangements that if you get busted the Prime Rib will be released to my custody.

Does that mean I'll be left with enough of your stuff to make coffee, eat cheese Danish, take pictures, and build saw horses in prison while I eating your M&M's?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Omaha Steaks in Santo Domingo???? Wonderful news, Robert.

I looked it up in the phone book......something I rarely do here in the DR. And, yes, they are listed.

They are called Omaha Gourmet.

The number for the one on Churchill is (809) 732-1578.

A second listing on Privada 38A is (809) 482-1147.

Mike l, if you call them and get information, PM me. Perhaps we can make an order together.

Lindsey

I called both numbers and they do not speak English. I used my google language translater but could not make out what he was saying.

We can get the prices through email or a website. He said it was omahagourmet.com but I could not find it but we are getting closer.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
They do deliver - they have Angus at RD$725 per lb, Choice at RD$760 per lb or Prime at RD$900 per lb. Minimum of 5lbs and you have to give them a credit card number. They will put in on Metro or Caribe Tours.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
They do deliver - they have Angus at RD$725 per lb, Choice at RD$760 per lb or Prime at RD$900 per lb. Minimum of 5lbs and you have to give them a credit card number. They will put in on Metro or Caribe Tours.

Angus is a type of cow! "Prime (beef) at RD$900 per lb" Prime what? At $900 per lb 'prime' prime rib is a reasonable price, prime ground beef at RD$900 per lb is not.

Prime only indicates the quality of the meat, (how it was fed.)

Aug 21, 2007
We spoke with the store this afternoon. Tomorrow, they are emailing me a list of what they sell and the prices. Perhaps after that I can shed some better light on what is available and the prices.

Lindsey