Any Computer Boffins here?????

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hola

Ok so i am completely usless when it comes to computers, I have windows XP and for some reason when i want to access a webpage through internet explorer is displays an error message "internet explorer cannot display webpage".

I have run the diagnostic and it says that it cannot detect a problem, i am of course also connected to the internet. When i go to access and defaults from start menu, in the custom settings it has selected "use my current web browser" which is mozilla firefox, when i try to select the "internet explorer" option it just doesn't work.

This is driving me mad so if anyone with half a brain can help a dork out i would be very grateful ;)

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Oh i have been to microsoft help page and they want $60 before they even help you!!!!!!!!!! And many of the help forums are only accessable through..yep you guessed it....internet explorer! aaarrrgggghhhhhhh

If anyone can help me please talk to me as if two year old as i dont understand the 'whatdyamecallit's" and "thigymebobs" :eek:

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Hi and thanks

Got 7, the round and square button things i could handle lol. Anyway i did what you said and no joy i'm affraid. Another thing is when accessing windows or microsoft programmes it takes a long time and get a small message with "windows installer" on it?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Before you start reinstalling windows it would probably be worth a shot doing a simple system restore to a date when it did function.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I don't have original disk, computer was sent to me by a friend and she installed pretty much everything for me.

Can i download and reinstall windows XP online??

Tried system restore but nada!

Sorry i'm not being much help :ermm:

Restore your computer to a date that the computer was working.

Go to Contol Panel, then Performance and Maintenance, look to top right corner and find "System Restore" find a date that your feel your computer was working and restore to that date, should work.

There are lots of trojan malware items that are stopping IE 7 from loading websites

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i get this problem occasionaly with XP. Most of the time it is the site that is having problems and not my computer. I've seen it happen here on DR1 and on Craigslist and other sites I frequent. It could be a problem with your proxy settings. I wouldnt do a full windows install tho. Perhaps reinstall your browser or try a different browser.

not really an answer...just trying to help tho.

Feb 7, 2007
Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings

No checkbox should be selected. If it is, de-select and click OK, close and open up IE.

Also make sure that under "Connections" it says "never dial a connection".

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
It sounds to me as if some of the installed software, windows or office, think they need to have access to the original cd. The installer should not be running unless it is trying to install something. Of course a virus can do this as well but let's assume that isn't happening.

Look in Start | Programs | Control Panel | Add-Restore Programs. Remove all programs you do not recognize or need. Don't remove any Microsoft programs, though. One of the others, a utility or something, might be fooling the installer.

The "wait" while you are loading something is because the installer is looking for something. You have to locate what it is trying to install. Either let it install it or stop it permanently by removing the offending program.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Re-install windows

Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings

No checkbox should be selected. If it is, de-select and click OK, close and open up IE.

Also make sure that under "Connections" it says "never dial a connection".

Your best choice is to re-install windows. Try to get an original CD or the
OEM CD. You may want to save your system drivers first. Install a good antivirus agent ASAP. I use Norton ghost to format the harddrive.

A fresh copy of Windows XP professional, service pack 3 should solve all
your problems...

Georgios

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Amazing some of the responses I see. Anyhow ill throw my 0.02 into the ring and you can take it for what its worth.

The message "internet explorer cannot display webpage" is a VERY vaugue message for troubleshooting purposes.

If you have tried a simple reboot of your computer and that doesn't fix it. The next step I would take is to turn off ..the computer, router, and modem. Next (important!) turn on the cable modem first and wait about 2 minutes for it to finish restoring the link. Then turn on the router for about 1 minute then turn back on the computer. This order of operation is important and doing it in a different order may not fix the problem if this is what is the cause so follow those directions carefully.

As far as doing a system restore this may or may not fix the problem because as I said the message given is very vaugue and has a lot of possible causes. If theres more to it than just that message like lots of popups or the computer is acting very sluggish then I might consider that as a possible solution.

If the above method of rebooting devices is the cause a system restore will NOT fix the problem.

As far as re-installing windows I use this as a last resort in all cases. Unless the operating system has files which have become completely corrupt there should be no reason to have to do this. Typically a system restore can fix any problems you'll encounter before you have to go to this much trouble to fix the computer.

Also if you re-install windows and simply had to reboot your devices as I stated previously this also will NOT fix the problem.

Best of luck...maybe you can find someone close by to come look at your computer who knows a little more and can better evaluate the problem?

Reactions: FernieBee
Feb 7, 2007
On Juan XXIII coming from Hielo Pena towards Isla on the right side there is a small computer repair store. You have to look really hard, though. The front is about 4 meters wide. i think there is a boutique to it on the left side.

You can also try Cethis PC in front of Palacio de Justicia.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Installing windows again...

Amazing some of the responses I see. Anyhow ill throw my 0.02 into the ring and you can take it for what its worth.

The message "internet explorer cannot display webpage" is a VERY vaugue message for troubleshooting purposes.

If you have tried a simple reboot of your computer and that doesn't fix it. The next step I would take is to turn off ..the computer, router, and modem. Next (important!) turn on the cable modem first and wait about 2 minutes for it to finish restoring the link. Then turn on the router for about 1 minute then turn back on the computer. This order of operation is important and doing it in a different order may not fix the problem if this is what is the cause so follow those directions carefully.

As far as doing a system restore this may or may not fix the problem because as I said the message given is very vaugue and has a lot of possible causes. If theres more to it than just that message like lots of popups or the computer is acting very sluggish then I might consider that as a possible solution.

If the above method of rebooting devices is the cause a system restore will NOT fix the problem.

As far as re-installing windows I use this as a last resort in all cases. Unless the operating system has files which have become completely corrupt there should be no reason to have to do this. Typically a system restore can fix any problems you'll encounter before you have to go to this much trouble to fix the computer.

Also if you re-install windows and simply had to reboot your devices as I stated previously this also will NOT fix the problem.

Best of luck...maybe you can find someone close by to come look at your computer who knows a little more and can better evaluate the problem?

After reading the OP's computer issues it sounds like the problems are not only for the IE7 exprorer. Windows installer messages & warnings are a sign of missing or corrupted window components mainly due to malware, virus, worms etc. Additionally, the restore function failed...not good news.

I format and re-install windows once a year regardless of computer operation.
A fresh copy of windows does not contain any "foreign" agents and the harddrive is clean. All windows updates MUST be downloaded/installed ASAP.
Same with a good antivirus. I use "registry mechanic" to control registry values, a good utility to use while installing windows. Also, I run the CCleaner weekly, a free utility which cleans a lot of "junk" from website browsing and add/remove program functions.

Re-installing windows may not be an easy task for some people. If you are not confident about this...don't do it. Get help from a reliable person.

Georgios

jester420

Jun 21, 2007
laurajane
Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
If wireless, do you get any internet connections when using a wired connection?

Jester

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Hi

Wire connection and mozilla firefox is working fine. I am taking laptop to repair shop tomorrow as thanks to everyones help i have tried to do a few things to get it working, but unfortunatly it still doesn't. I really appreciate everyones help, but i think its time for someone who unlike me is knowledgeable about these things to take a closer look.

Thanks again :)

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
If you are stilling having problems, i have a friend who works for Microsoft...hes the dogs bollocks when it comes to computers!