Barcelo Talanquera Resort

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
I'm visiting DR with some friends and, for the first three nights, we're planning on staying in the Barcelo talanquera resort near Juan Dolio. The pictures I've seen look beautiful. However, everywhere I look, there are terrible reviews of the resort.

I know some are just because people are not used to the country. They rate the hotel badly because of mosquitos, employees on dominican time, and say that the beach was too dirty when they went in rainy season. However, I'm still kinda wary because there were a lot of bad reviews. Should I trust them? Has anybody here been to the hotel? I can't afford much better, but my wife might freak out if the room is too dirty and it really is a bad hotel.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
I'm visiting DR with some friends and, for the first three nights, we're planning on staying in the Barcelo talanquera resort near Juan Dolio. The pictures I've seen look beautiful. However, everywhere I look, there are terrible reviews of the resort.

I know some are just because people are not used to the country. They rate the hotel badly because of mosquitos, employees on dominican time, and say that the beach was too dirty when they went in rainy season. However, I'm still kinda wary because there were a lot of bad reviews. Should I trust them? Has anybody here been to the hotel? I can't afford much better, but my wife might freak out if the room is too dirty and it really is a bad hotel.

The Talanquera has dropped in quality, and I would not recommend it to foreign tourists that seek higher standards / better values. This hotel fills up with locals on weekends, and you can imagine the disaster that takes place when the "weekend" crowd takes over. My opinion- stay away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I worked at the Talanquera for 3 years as I diving instructor. it is a 3 star hotel and is good value for money. However, as Fernanez says the dominicans do arrive at the weekend and take over and depending on what type of a person you are they can be great fun and give you an insight into how Dominicans enjoy themselves, or they can ruin your holiday!!!!

The rooms are Ok, some better than others, there are speciality restaurants as well as the main buffet. The pool area is nice and well maintained as are the gardens. It is a lovely big beach. But it is a three star hotel and you get what you pay for.

Capella is next door. It is 4 star and hence higher quality.

Matilda

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
A question about locals who frequent resorts on weekends?
Why does this bother tourists so much? I have never been to a resort, where this happens, but is it really that bad? I tend to go off resort most nights,to do just that, party with the locals, at their establishments.

I guess what I dont understand so much is do tourists really not expect locals to have vacation time and go away on the weekends, just like we all do in our own countries? Do they feel that locals are not entitled?

I would assume they pay for it just like we do. And if it fills an empty resort, why wouldnt they. I have read many times on reviews that they pay little for the weekend pass....anywhere from 40$ to 70$ a day. But if you consider what the hotel gets after flight and taxes and such for a AI trip ........we are not paying much more than that per day either.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A question about locals who frequent resorts on weekends?
Why does this bother tourists so much? I have never been to a resort, where this happens, but is it really that bad? I tend to go off resort most nights,to do just that, party with the locals, at their establishments.

I guess what I dont understand so much is do tourists really not expect locals to have vacation time and go away on the weekends, just like we all do in our own countries? Do they feel that locals are not entitled?

I would assume they pay for it just like we do. And if it fills an empty resort, why wouldnt they. I have read many times on reviews that they pay little for the weekend pass....anywhere from 40$ to 70$ a day. But if you consider what the hotel gets after flight and taxes and such for a AI trip ........we are not paying much more than that per day either.

I think it bothers tourists as Dominicans know how to party!!! So common complaints are that there is no food left in the restaurant (Dominicans know how to eat too), the pool are becomes very congested and noisy, loud music day and night etc etc. And some tourists like to do the same thing each day - have 'their' chair by the pool, 'their' table in the restaurant and 'their' peace and quiet and they become a tad upset when their routine is interrupted by hoards of noisy, fun loving locals!!!!

Matilda

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I used to live in JD and also have been a tourist there and around the island. I did not like Dominican Holidays or weekends at the resorts in JD. I partied with many Dominicans outside of the resorts,at clubs,house parties. Trust me when I tell you that they act different at the resorts! They are rude to staff and tourists,messy,loud and down right hicks. If I did not know any better I would not believe they were the same Dominicans that I appreciated outside of a resort.